Shop fluids - how old is too old? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My town has a household waste cleanup day. While going through my garage, I found some dusty boxes half full of unopened shop fluids of various types. This is an opportunity to safely dispose of things but I hate to throw out unopened things if they are still good.

Fluids:
ATF Fluid (lots of this)
Brake Fluid
Carb/Injector Cleaners
Octane Boost
Fuel Dryer
Radiator Coolant (mixed and unmixed)
Gear Oil - assuming this is forever, what about already opened?
Engine Oil - assuming this is forever, what about already opened?

What are thoughts on how long items such as listed above can be kept/used?
I would estimate the fluids are about 15-20 years old.

TIA

Its all good.
I never throw anything away!
If an aerosol can (wd40) wont spray and there is liquid inside, I let the pressure out and open the can to drain the good stuff into a babyfood jar.
The only worrisome item would be opened brakefluid. That has a tendency to absorb moisture.
If your other open items have a lid on them, they are good.
And if your worried about them then just use them in a mower or small engine, and mix it 50/50 with fresh new stuff.
Bob

I believe the general consensus for most oils is 5 years, some synthetics a bit longer.
I wouldn't have an issue using ATF that is older than 5 years to top off a system that is a quart low or using any of the other items on your list. With that said I would make an effort to get them used up before another decade past.

ATF will make great penetrating fluid when mixed with acetone.
Brake fluid and carb cleaners, well you can see if they still work easily enough.
Oil: many uses, including waterproofing wood

edited: ooops, I was thinking brake cleaner. Brake fluid is indeed a different story. (thanks to 1911 below)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and ideas :beer:

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, i.e. it absorbs water even from the air. If the bottle is still sealed and unopened it's good for a long time, but once the bottle is open the shelf life decreases dramatically. I wouldn't use an open bottle that is more than a few months old; YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom