Shackle Reversal and SUA (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, before I get flamed about all the tech articles available and numerous posts on this topic, I've gone through what I could find and still have questions. If I've missed something, please let me know.

I've purchased and welded on MAF's shackle reversal kit. I'd like a 4" lift and to stay SUA, but (obviously) want the shackle reversal. I'm also running brand new OME springs.

Now since welding this kit on, I've heard all kinds of bad press about the front fixed hangers being 'rock finders', and certain parties have suggested using the stock hangers and running the aft attachment for the shackle through the frame so approach angle is not compromised. I've researched and only seen this approach used in combination with SOA. My question is has anyone done this with SUA, and is it possible to level an FJ40 when running a 4" lift on the back end? It seems like you'd have to use an excessively long shackle for the front springs, and since the pinned end of the spring is so high up near the bumper, the whole spring would be rotated, which in turn would point the front pinion towards the ground and result in unacceptable caster...and also since the spring would be rotated, it wouldn't seat correctly on the axle...etc, etc.

Has anyone done a shackle reversal using the 'non rock finder' front hangers while staying SUA and maintained a 4" lift?

Thanks in advance. I've got this sucker down to the frame and want to do it right the first time, but I don't want to go SOA...I've got too many horses under the hood and am afraid I'll break something with SOA, and don't really want to get into custom anti-wrap bars and all that stuff.

Attached are pics of my current 'rock finders'.

Last edited:
yes there are people out here who have done this with 4 in sua. ask poser hes got some great pics. other than that im soa and have just as many horeses if not more than you and have broken nothing, i say if you tore your rig aprt that much might as well finish the job soa style.

you are correct, using a extra long shackle in the back of the front spring would mess up your caster angle. The only way to level front would be with a 4" lift spring.

Your MAF SR kit is not a rock finder. Think about it. if both eyelets of the spring are level with the ground then the method in which they are mounted to the vehicle has nothing to do with the height the hanger off the ground. The MAF SR is more like a body lift under the frame. It hangs down and looks like a rock finder. The advantage is you will fit 35" much easier.

I did the same thing. MAF Shackle reversal, skyjacker 4" lift and cool cruisers 2" rear shackles. They are called something Stout shackles. The cruiser sits somewhere level. there's a minimum difference may be 1/2" . All of these SUA. Oh! and I was able to get away with 37"s Mtrs

the sucker sure it's got the looks and certainly is high, What can I say it's my ride, It's awesome!

The ride is a stiff , prolly because the bolts on the shackles are pretty tight. Also It takes a while for the springs to break them in. It's not a daily driver, but it's driven hard when driven.

just cut off your old perches on the front axle, get yourself some new dodge perches, and reset caster. Use an angle finder, front output on t-case should be equal to the input on the axle, both should be 0 in stock configuration.

truggier said:
Are you running any traction bars?

no

i should but dont havent broken anything yet and she gets beat

I've got a similar set up. 4" skyjackers with Shackle reversal up front. I used extended shackles in the rear to level out. works fine.
While you have your frame in the current position you might want to consider boxing the front end of your frame to add additonal strength for your power steering.
Just my .02

petescoffee said:
I've got a similar set up. 4" skyjackers with Shackle reversal up front. I used extended shackles in the rear to level out. works fine.

Thanks for the input. When you say 'a similar setup' do you mean the MAF shackle reversal kit? Or are you using fixed hangers that are closer to the bumper? If the latter, could you upload some pictures of your front suspension? Thanks.

Check out this thread espcially the posts written the late ButchBuilt, if you like it you can still get the powersteering/frame boxing kit...That's what am doing with my SR:

attachment.php

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210325

I have the same S/R as the MAF job and it works great! It is not the "rock finder" version. If you're really concerned about it cover the front with some plate to make it into more of a skid. But I can say that I rarely had issues caused by the S/R hanger...

Nick

I am running the MAF sr kit with the 4" safari springs and anti inversion shackles (it's their complete package kit) It works great and the front perches are not rock finders, they are angled back and I think help with approach angle. I have hit them from time to time but they are tough and have never been damaged. If you insist on changing your front perches cut them carefully and I would be willing to buy them from you. :grinpimp: Otherwise run them and I think you will be fine. Oh and from looking at your pics I would definitely say that you need to box in both your front frame horns for the ps conversion, that along with a good stout bumper will reinforce this area and keep it from flexing.

skyjacker used to make a lift kit for the MAF shackle reversal it used the 2 1/2 springs in the front and 4in. springs in the rear because of the lift you get in the front from the MAF shackle reversal, i dont know if they still make it but any 2 1/2 spring in front and 4in. in rear should work the same. just my .02 good luck!

[Corbet] Yes, from what I can see, if you stay SUA and don't do anything exotic like what I was discussing when I opened this thread, the MAF kit is a huge benefit for approach angle over the stock configuration. See the comparison pics at:

http://www.man-a-fre.com/technical_info/shacklereversalopinion.htm

I'm just wondering how much flex you get out of this type of SUA suspension. I've got a buddy with a TJ running 37" MTRs that flexes like crazy and I'd hate to have him beat me...

truggier said:
Thanks for the input. When you say 'a similar setup' do you mean the MAF shackle reversal kit? Or are you using fixed hangers that are closer to the bumper? If the latter, could you upload some pictures of your front suspension? Thanks.

My original shackle reversal was the I believe the MAF or advanced handling kit. As of last year it is thea 60 series hanger. It has the same extra 1 1/2" of lift up front.
As for a rock finder, it depends on the size of the rock.
Attached are pictures of the original kit and a side shot of how it sits now with the extended rear shackles to level it out. The tires are 35's with the rear fenders cut.

My frame box out fro thesteering is now the Butch built style discussed earlier. You can buy it from Deckers Hot Showers, Mudrak.
FJ40 Steering 5.jpg
FJ40 Steering 12.jpg
side shot for post.jpg

petescoffee

Thanks for the pics. Is it me or do those 60 series front hangers not hang quite as low as the MAF hangers?

Nice looking rig...what color is that? And what size tires are you running?

About boxing the frame rails up front - judging by all of the comments I've received about this (thanks mustardfj40, tfdcruiser and of course petescoffee), I believe I'll get the kit and do it. I checked the sites you mentioned but didn't see the kit, so I guess I'll need to call.

Thanks all others for the comments / suggestions.

I believe for now I will run with the MAF S/R and see how I like it. If in a year or two I decide I want SOA, I'll probably get the kit from profitt's and have a professional do it.

I have the MAF SR kit w 2 1/2" safari spings in front and 4" skyjackers in back. Sits level and works good. No issues, But you need the caster shims. The angle of the SR acually acts as a ramp to get over rocks. Used mine as a ramp a bunch of times doing stuff like Pritchet Canyon.

Hi zornff,

I think I'll also put quarter inch plates over the front of those hanger so they're more of a ramp, like zebrabeefj40 suggested.

The kit I got from MAF supplied the caster correction shims for the front. I might need some shims for the rear axle though, since with the lift and how I angled the drivetrain for clearance things don't seem to be lining up too well between the pinion and the t/c flange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom