Service offered - FJ62 driver's window relay assembly (green box) refurb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wanted to throw this in for anyone's benefit who's considering having their relay box refurbished; with how much prices have skyrocketed in the last two years and certain supplies being limited, the overall parts cost for me has fortunately only increased by a very minute amount, allowing me to keep my pricing the same for a refurb job.

So as it stands my pricing for a job is $100, which includes return shipping; and $80 for local pick up where no shipping is required.

Turnaround time is typically about a week in my possession, which allows time for cleaning the parts, any potential repairs to the plastic (I use a solvent cement that requires 3 days to cure to 100% strength), and my own schedule with my day job and being a single dad.

Last edited:
Added an update to the first post of this thread detailing some basic troubleshooting that can be done if you suspect your relay assembly has failed.

An update concerning shipping:

If you send me a box to refurbish, please be sure to not use FedEx, unless you're not in a hurry at all. For some reason FedEx routinely delivers at least several days late to my address (which makes no sense because I live in an older suburban neighborhood). I recently had a SNAFU that was admittedly my own doing (didn't realize I was as low as I was) where I ran out of conformal coating and had to order a new can, which got delivered three days after it was supposed to be and delayed shipping back of a couple relay boxes.

On the upside, my work allows me to ship UPS when we get our pick ups so I don't have to worry if I'll get out of work on time to drop off any boxes I ship back now. I will almost always default to return shipping via UPS Ground, unless someone requests a different carrier or method, in which case I'll make sure that any difference in pricing is agreed upon beforehand.

Last edited:
Continuing from my first post, here we see the meat and potatoes of an unmodified window relay board. Like I said before, this is a very simple circuit and the components prone to wear were easily identified.

View attachment 2620033

Since I had all the parts already available (save for the resistor array; the long black component at the top of the pic, which tested good, but more on that shortly), I depopulated the board. Resistors don't typically wear out unless there's damage, which I saw none in this case nor on my own part, but in the event I find an unserviceable one, I do have spares for those as well. You'll see I still removed the resistor array and tested each pin. What's interesting is that his was much more consistent than my own, save for pins 5 and 9. All others pins on his were consistent in readings to pin 1. Mine, oddly enough, were all over the place. Yet both units still worked perfectly after repair; HOWEVER, when testing 4Cruisers's part in my door my window actually raised and lowered slightly faster than with my own part. This is why I would like to more thoroughly analyze the circuit so that I can determine what exactly is affecting the current allowed to pass to the window motors. Regardless, testing his resistor array allowed me to source a proper, long lasting replacement that's already on its way should I come across any that are as out of whack as my own or actually damaged.

View attachment 2620034

Here is the completed and refurbished board. All capacitors and the relays have been replaced and the resistor array reinstalled. Also, before and after working, the PCB was thoroughly cleaned, first with plastic safe (for the connector) contact cleaner, and then after soldering with 99% isopropanol to remove excess flux. Like I said before, any resistors (and diodes) I find damaged can be replaced as well. Given the large holes in the PCB, I can also use larger wattage capacity resistors so as to avoid any possible heat issues in warmer climates (honestly doubt that's ever been an issue anywhere, but hey, why not?).

View attachment 2620035

On the backside now you can see the nice new solder joints. I use old school lead based solder, which to my experience is much more durable and longer lasting than ROHS compliant solders. I also beefed up the connection points on the small bus bar that runs between the relays. What's interesting is that my part had considerably more solder in place to begin with than 4Cruisers's. Wish I would've taken a picture of my own for comparison. I attribute this to variations in the manufacturing process from the late 80s. Nothing wrong with correcting it now, huh?

View attachment 2620036

My hope is that this will help anyone whose driver's window has stopped working in any aspect, or just runs very slowly (caveat: a simply slow window can be caused by several factors. Refurbishing the relay box can/may help, but it is NOT a guaranteed magic bullet for a slow driver's window! Please research the other causes as well if you're tackling a slow window).

For those who are interested, I offer this service for $100 per unit, plus shipping to me. Shipping back to you is included. This provides you with a practically new part for far less than the cost of a used part that's already worn and 30+ years old.

For any Cruiser oriented shops or businesses who are interested for restoration purposes so that they can be putting better than old used parts in customers' rigs, five or more parts are charged at $80 per unit (shipping deal is the same).

My goal is to fill a small niche for FJ62 owners and at the same time use my skills to fund my own projects and maintenance on my 62.
Hello I have a relay that needs help. Can you let me know where to ship and payment. Thanks

Hello @Spook50, hopefully you still provide this service as I may a relay issue in my driver side window as well.

I’ll know more (test/confirm) in a few weeks as my truck is being imported to to me.

Hello @Spook50, hopefully you still provide this service as I may a relay issue in my driver side window as well.

I’ll know more (test/confirm) in a few weeks as my truck is being imported to to me.
Import Cruiser, nice! I'll be happy do refurbish it for you. Just drop me a PM if/when you decide you want it done.

@HemiAlex sounds good. Just gimme a holler when you're ready to send it my way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom