Sequoia rear latch replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bryanseye

Inaffective Grammer Nazi
SILVER Star
Threads
Between pit of man's fears and summit of knowledge
Website
www.upstatecruisers.com
My rear latch broke sooner than expected after picking up the sequoia. It was one of the problems I read about in researching the vehicle so I didnt get too pissed. A few notes from the replacement.

I used a metal replacement. The factory design has a seemingly needless complication of a plastic arm that pushes down on a metal arm that pulls the release cable. The plastic piece is what breaks.

All the youtube vids I watched showed a special tool to reach in through the small opeing where the plastic arm goes into the hatch and pull down on the cable arm. My 80 has a handle on the inside but the Sequoia does not. 2 differences in my application:
1: My piece broke inside and did not leave room to get a tool inside. I cup the remaining plastic nub with some dikes to gain access.
2: No special tool here. A skinny, long screwdriver was used to reach inside, feel for the lever, then lift the driver handle while pulling down on the front to get enough movement to pop the latch.

It looked like this may be the 2nd latch as there were some signs of someone in there before. 2 broken plastic tabs and a stripped screw. Be sure to spend some time removing all the nuts and loosening everything before lifting out the assembly. This includes the lock tumbler bracket, hatch cable, and wire harnesses.

One of the handle mount screws was stripped in the plastic and both were rusty. I had some ss machine screws that were slighly larger and cut them to the right depth. Worked great.

I spent some time with lithium grease and silicone spray lubing up some components while everything was out. The window gears needed sime attention.

Button everything up in reverse. DONT FORGET TO REATTACH THE CABLE. I closed the door when done and went to open it but it wouldnt. A moment of panic started, but then I tried to hit unlock on the remote first. Success! Doh.

That's all. Pretty easy. 10mm socket w/extension and philips screwdriver is all that is needed once the hatch is open. Sorry, no pics as this has been well documented already.

i know old post, but at least i searched first, is there a good replacement cheaper than oem, they range from $14 TO $140 on amazon

Good and cheap are not mutually compatible

thanks captain obvious, now how about someone that can tell me if the metal ones or any of the aftermarket options hold up better than the OEM plastic?

thats what i was thinking but the metal ones are $9-12 plastic versions are $15 and the toyota oem is $60
was hoping someone on here used the metal one to tell me if theyre a good fit or just poorly done
1564321082124.png

The handle isn’t the problem, it’s a symptom. The latch mech gets gummed up and rusty, you end up putting a lot more force to the handle and it breaks. They should both be replaced.

This is the one I used. Going strong after 2 years.

2004 04 Toyota Sequoia Liftgate Handle - ALL METAL Amazon product ASIN B005NUGJ6Q

thanks, just ordered the same thing for the 2002, ill update next weekend when i get it installed, the old stuck every now and then, started giving me problems after spraying liquid wrench up in there, it would work great for a few days then need resprayed, i expect to see something else once i get it open and apart

i ended up getting the metal handle one off amazon, getting the door open was the hardest part. pretty much take the skin and hardware off, had to take the license plate off too, then the whole trim piece around the handle and plate, the window and assembly could slide up and down just enough to get to all the bolts.
still feels rough opening, i think my cable must be rusted and stiff. we'll see how long it lasts, all in took me about an hour,

Can someone direct me to a good thread on the replacement of the handle? My sister recently bought a Sequoia with 135,000 miles. Their back gate is not working now. The dealer told them over $300 for parts alone. So trying to help them out on this.

Can someone direct me to a good thread on the replacement of the handle?

I'm assuming it is a 1st gen Sequoia. I found the video on this thread helpful, especially on how to open the hatch before you try to remove the inner panel.

I was able to use a large Allen wrench to open the hatch after snapping the plastic handle off completely. I also found it useful to lower the rear window and inch or so before I started. FWIW, I replaced both the handle and the latch assembly with OEM parts while I was in there using these part numbers. Should be under $200 if ordered online.

Liftgate latch 693010C010
Liftgate handle 690900C080

Last edited:
the reason that the handle breaks is because the latch rusts up and seizes, if you replace the handle replace the latch as well

Thanks for the info guys. That's what I needed.

the reason that the handle breaks is because the latch rusts up and seizes, if you replace the handle replace the latch as well
Or it was a crap design and inferior material. :meh:

Mine was rust free but used often. Seemed like a lot of stress on a little piece of plastic.

Or it was a crap design and inferior material. :meh:

Mine was rust free but used often. Seemed like a lot of stress on a little piece of plastic.

I can only tell ya what ive seen, im sure that we get just a bit more salt induced rust from snow and ice than down in sc. I don't disagree that plastic probably wasn't the best choice but im sure tha t it saves 1-2 cents per part so totally worth it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom