Builds Sentimental Restoration of Family 1990 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a little preview on the paint job. I only want to share this wide view now...until the paint tech has done all the touch ups and under-polished spots. You can see that he has it in him to do well. Gutter moulding goes back on this weekend. You also can get a glimpse of the BMW seats. Sorry it's a bit of tease, but more in a few days.

20181212_142428_resized.jpg

An unexpected surprise this morning. We returned the vehicle to the painter's shop. He called me two hours later with a new plan. He's decided there's too many problems with the finish...so he is kind of starting over. He is prepping again such that he can re-shoot the clear coat, and properly polish it. He is on "vacation" next week which means he will be able to work full time on it, predicting it will be ready Wednesday.

I must say that I am very happy that he made this decision. I'm not sure if he was farming some of it out to someone, or his work on it was so interrupted that he would "lose his place" on his progress (lack of continuity). This way, he will overcome that and deliver the finish we want.

All's well that ends well, I suppose.

So...painter came down ill with the flu that's going around. They were just getting to re-paining mid-day today, and he wants me to come by to inspect it after they do this afternoon. Standing by for his call. Of course, it has to cure a few days over Christmas then be polished. Beginning to wonder if I'll get it back this calendar year. :rolleyes::cautious:

In the mean time...all you miserable pud-knockers have a great Christmas.

(Don't be angry with me. It's a term of endearment from The Right Stuff ;))

The painter had not called, but I headed over about 3:30 to take a look at progress. As it turns out, all the problems with the finish were not in the clear coat layer, but the color layer. So the vehicle went through prep again to fix the problems, and I found the vehicle completely re-shot with the color coat (hood removed). We walked around to inspect, and I must say it looked extremely good (this time). They were preparing to shoot the clear coat when I left. It will cure until later in the week, then polish, reassemble and hope springs eternal I'll get it back next weekend.

It appears that he farmed it out to a friend...who did a poor job. That friend was there with him yesterday, and was in no mood to be sociable. Ha! I suspect that he got his butt chewed...and the boss had to fix all his problems and do the job himself.

What's to learn from this? I guess I would say that out-of-the-mainstream budget jobs require a lot of patience. I have the time and patience to "maintain an even strain" (another term from The Right Stuff) to see it through. I know this painter has the skill. I'm disappointed that he would not do the job himself. His decision came back to bite him in the butt. He had to invest a lot more time and all the materials a second time. I've just remained patient and kept the soft-peddled pressure on him to deliver. I have the luxury of being able to do this because the vehicle is not needed as a daily driver, and I have the time to give it. Considering the fairly incredible price he is doing it for, I can be patient. Some might say I'm getting what I paid for. That's true from a perspective of time; we've been at this for months now. But we'll end with a terrific new finish...and then the fun can begin.

Interesting development/discovery yesterday. My wifey is a VIP volunteer for the Arizona Bowl. After the game yesterday afternoon at the post-game tailgate party, we ran into the painter and his wife. Turns out his young adult son plays a major role in promoting the bowl...and my wife knows (and values) him well. Well, that made quite the impression on his parents yesterday. It was nice to meet his wife, and it was nice to see that he is clearly extremely proud of his son. Very sweet. So, it is likely it will still be perhaps another week before he completes the Cruiser. My wifey commented to me later that it's likely that it will really be a great job now. And I don't mean that in a cynical way; a nice way. It personalizes the relationship a bit. It's a small world...and what goes around comes around. It always pays to be nice (and patient). Or perhaps "humble and kind," as Tim McGraw put it.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="
In the mean time...all you miserable pud-knockers have a great Christmas.

(Don't be angry with me. It's a term of endearment from The Right Stuff ;))[/QUOTE]
Not at all, Happy New Year!
One of my favorite books, and the movie isn't bad either.

Glenn in Marana

Hi, I agree easier to be mannerly , reminds me too of the saying, Always leave your enemy a way out ! Mike

The job is stretching out to a finish, it looks like. It appears as though it is now down to fine details, including detailing after assembly. The tech asked to have the window belt trims to install. I also delivered to him the new @Cruiser Corps mirrors and marker lights. He can dig out the connectors so that I don't have to. I'll remove them long enough to do the sealant glaze when I get it back. Apparently final work like door handles and the hood reinstall is what is left. He also has to put some extra effort into reattaching the chrome gutter trim. I'm looking forward to posting photos of the gutter seal job.

Maybe tomorrow? Maybe not. Sigh...

[QUOTE="LCnAZ, post: 12122269, Maybe tomorrow? Maybe not. Sigh...[/QUOTE]

Depends if its raining or not. Why get your nice new shiny paint jjob all wet if you don't have to yet? :)

Glenn in Marana

[QUOTE="LCnAZ, post: 12122269, Maybe tomorrow? Maybe not. Sigh...

Depends if its raining or not. Why get your nice new shiny paint jjob all wet if you don't have to yet? :)

Glenn in Marana[/QUOTE]

Good point. Worse than that, the wipers aren't installed. Worse than even that, the wiper motor CB is blowing...so no wipers until that is fixed. Most of the year you and I don't care about that.

Last edited:
At long last...it's home! Is it 100% factory perfect? No. But it is 98.9% of it. There is the occasional tiny imperfection, but it is just stunning overall. Gotta hand it to the boss for taking over for the re-do.

So much work to do now. First up is a chore to apply the Klasse acrylic sealant, but I'm well on the way on that this morning. I installed one emblem but will wait on the other until son can join me for some of that. Also installed one rear mud flap using RTV silicone in the appropriate channel. When we do the next one, I'll try to get a photo of that in progress.

Cruiser Corps electric side mirrors and new marker lights installed. The mirrors are very nice and very quiet.

The fun now begins.

20190110_105608_resized.jpg

20190110_105751_resized_1.jpg

20190110_074417_resized.jpg

Wow, looking at those pictures literally brought a smile to my face! He really did a nice job with that paint.

I'll have to see this beauty in person when she's all done.

After two long days of work, the cosmetic restoration is about 85% complete. I will get the grille and headlight bezels on this weekend (if I can get the Cruiser Parts versions to fit). If they don't fit well, I'll go with the old for now just to keep things moving. After five months waiting on the paint job, I'm in the mood to move.

Next up is about a week of utilitarian repairs and upgrades (power up seats, get wipers working, and swapping out components in the steering wheel switch assembly, etc....essentials). It then goes to get the ARB front bumper installed. Also need to get the 31 x 10.5 tires going.

Lots of little details will remain (if you look at the list in the OP), but having lots of fun now!

I got it out in the early morning light this morning to take some hero shots to share with you. For your amusement and enjoyment...

20190112_081749_resized.jpg

20190112_081213_resized.jpg

20190112_081500_resized.jpg

Last edited:
More shots.

I'll hold off on new carpet until the H55 conversion.

One peculiar surprise is how this vehicle is now essentially a two-seat one....when the BMW seats are in the best position for my long legs. Now I'm not sure if I'll leave in the HJ61 rear seats or go back to the OEM bench (which is in storage with only one year of use on it).

20190112_082015_resized.jpg

20190112_081819_resized.jpg

20190112_082111_resized.jpg

20190112_082250_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Oops...trouble with a Cruiser Parts item. The aftermarket grille has a fatal manufacturing casting/mold flaw. As you likely know, the grille is affixed with five snap-in posts that fit into sheet metal holes; one in each headlight mount, and one at the bottom...and a single screw. These receptacles are rectangles that are oriented horizontally (kind of the shape of a TV screen). The posts on the grille also have to be horizontally oriented. The bottom post on mine is not. It is oriented vertically...therefore cannot fit (kind of "square peg in round hole" problem). I haven't called into Cruiser Parts yet. Fortunately, the OEM is serviceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom