Sending unit/Autometer gauge help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got a Chevy 350 Holley Sniper EFI setup in my 64 FJ40. The entire setup was done by a previous owner, and it was poorly done.

Fuel gauge never worked, and I’m not sure about the sending unit used.

Has a stock 40 tank, with possibly a Corolla sending unit (reads 17Full and 127 Empty on ohm reader)

When rig starts up, fuel gauge goes to full (regardless of gas level) and stays there for about 5 min, before dropping to 3/4 reading, and then drops to below Empty.

Sending unit seems to be functional, but not sure if I need to try and programming Holley ECM or replace the gauge…. Or get a new gauge and sending unit and start from scratch.

Anyone have advice, part numbers or suggestions?

I’ve got a Chevy 350 Holley Sniper EFI setup in my 64 FJ40. The entire setup was done by a previous owner, and it was poorly done.

Has a stock 40 tank, with possibly a Corolla sending unit (reads 17Full and 127 Empty on ohm reader)

When rig starts up, fuel gauge goes to full (regardless of gas level) and stays there for about 5 min, before dropping to 3/4 reading, and then drops to below Empty.

Sending unit seems to be functional, but not sure if I need to try and programming Holley ECM or replace the gauge…. Or get a new gauge and sending unit and start from scratch.

The sender sounds like it behaving correctly for the later 40 series, but you maybe have the earlier gauges on your 64 which would require a different sender.

The earlier one works differently, so you can't just measure dc resistance though it.
If it is hooked up to your engine management, then I'd leave the sender as it is, and replace the gauge with the newer version.

If its totally independent of the EMS, then I'd look for an early style sender.

Your sending unit has to be matched to the gauge. Unless the gauge is adjustable. Look up the specs on your auto meter gauge and then compare to your sender.

Your sending unit has to be matched to the gauge. Unless the gauge is adjustable. Look up the specs on your auto meter gauge and then compare to your sender.
My sending unit has no markings or numbers on it. Not sure what it’s from. But I’ll start with the gauge and go from there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom