Semi-real time help (need by tomorrow) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EscapeWagon62

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m in the middle of an H55 swap on my 62.
Always thought I has a leaky rear main seal but it looks like this hex bolt plug is the source. Located at the 11:00 position above the rear main seal.
Anyone tackle this previously?
I know @Skniper ran into the same.
Wondering if I can just pull it out, gasket sealer, re-install or is it a one time use type thing?

Going back tomorrow to install bell housing and clutch.

E0CC2F29-A33A-42ED-804D-9584F3E8C343.jpeg

68378E42-D296-411E-935E-36029DA70CEE.jpeg

I don't see why you couldn't remove it, slather it with pipe dope or PTFE paste, and reinstall it.

@EscapeWagon62 Interesting you have similar schmootz on the same engine plug. I'm just curious what the plug is for....leaning toward it being part of the water jacket because of its size...and it looks to be in line with the engine block drain plug under the exhaust manifold...at least it appears to be in both of our photos.

Any engine builders that know for sure? @cruisermatt

I'd like to reseal mine, but with what to do it properly? You go first, Escape...lol.

@EscapeWagon62 Interesting you have similar schmootz on the same engine plug. I'm just curious what the plug is for....leaning toward it being part of the water jacket because of its size...and it looks to be in line with the engine block drain plug under the exhaust manifold...at least it appears to be in both of our photos.

I'd like to reseal mine, but with what to do it properly? You go first, Escape...lol.
I’ll tackle it tomorrow first thing.
I agree that it water jacket related since it looks like a common plumbing tube cap.
I’ll use @SteveH recommendation and use PTFE since that’s a plumbing peoduct.
Photos and progress tomorrow 👍

Personally I wouldn't touch it. That weepage stain could have happened 25 years ago.

Personally I wouldn't touch it. That weepage stain could have happened 25 years ago.
It does still drip, about what you’d typically see with a weeping rear main seal.
I’ll give it a go. If it’s oil...Ultra black. If coolant PTFE.
What could go wrong? 😀

It's a plug for the Oil Circuit. Earlier blocks used a press in welch plug. Late 2F/3F block is a threaded plug. May need a little heat to unscrew it, then reseal with loctite 271

Fresh from the shop.

C0E7F893-2EB2-4F83-A6C4-9CE8B6F6CF6F.jpeg

I use Permatex Aviation sealant, any thread sealant will work fine. It will come out of the block easy, they’re not in there tight

You rock, all three of you!
I’ll sleep much better tonight knowing what it is.
Writeup and photos will be shared tomorrow.
Thanks again!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom