Sell my 99 LX for a new Tacoma? Crazy talk... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm considering selling my 99 LX with 292k for a new Tacoma. The LX is awesome, and I've done a ton of work on it, but it's still a 4 speed auto with a heavy V8. Mechanical there's nothing wrong, and I've even just replaced to AHC accumulators. But it's the little things, the steering column doesn't tilt any more, and the driver seat needs new leather. Oh and also, it's now my only vehicle, so the mileage on premium is tough, especially in SoCal.

It's such a tough truck though and I don't hesitate to take it any where, any time, plus the AHC rides so nice!

Tell me what little things I'm going to miss if I move to a Taco.

PXL_20220619_165324327.jpg

I have very little to offer regarding Tacomas but…. No doubt a Taco is an absolute great machine as history will show.

I think what you will miss after leaving the hundy is a heavy solid reliable machine, then little things that show up and bug you due to an aging hundy, then other things that show up unexpected from time to time all at once that will make you ponder the thought of a new vehicle and the other little thing you will miss is $40k from your bank account that could’ve gone toward repairing the hundy little things for next 40 years.

Just use regular. Mine has 442k and I've always used regular. The original owner I purchased it from had also always used regular. I have owned certain cars that require premium fuel and I have used premium fuel in them. The lx is not one of them though. It may say requires premium but it will run perfectly fine on regular.

Last edited:
Fit and finish and overall quality is worlds apart. I'm probably going to pick up a new 1794 Tundra here in the next few months (well, I'm going to get on a couple lists and wait until it's my turn and a build I want is delivered), and even that trim line doesn't feel as nice as my 98 LX. Also as said above, don't use premium. Tacos don't get great gas mileage for their size, and it's worse if you lift it and put bigger tires on it.

This being said, the Taco is a nice vehicle that will last you a long time. It does have the previous gen infotainment which is meh at best, but new Taco isn't coming out until 2024. Just other things to think about that might matter, might not.

You won't regret going with a new Taco. They're nice and will go everywhere and beyond anyplace you can go in a LC. Plus you get a bed, which opens up possibilities a LC can't offer. It comes down to whether you're a truck guy or not. Trucks are versatile and you'll get a lot of use out of one. What a Taco doesn't have is the level of je ne sais quoi you get with a Land Cruiser/LX. The ride, the feel, the driving position are all unique. I originally was in the market for a Tundra or an LX570. With the Covid/Toyota tax of late I settled for a used F250. It's a work/tow beast, but It and our 4runner will be going up for sale in the near future. I just bought a 98 LX and I love it. Everything from the AHC to the tape deck. It's almost 25 years old, but the glass headlights look like new. Drive down the road and you'll see a Taco and see/think "Hey. There's another Tacoma. Nice." That thought doesn't go through my head when I pass a Cruiser. This 98 is special and I hope to keep it that way.

I could for sure run this thing for another 40 years on 40k... Ok, now I need to find someone to redo the seats. Any recommendations in SoCal? I would love to find someone that will service the one gear that's slipped on power adjust and steering column.

The tilt function, from what I've read in my searches, is relatively easy to fix. It's basically a column disassembly and replace the motor. I'll be doing mine as it does not telescope, but I want to have the auto adjust feature disabled first so I have a new motor that works when I need it to. I really don't need a column to tuck itself away every time I enter/exit the driver's seat.

I don't have much experience with Tacos. But is the ride quality of stock TRD Offroad Taco a lot worse than LX? That may be a concern if you plan to do a lot of road trips.

Also will the new Tacos be made (or assembled) in Mexico? Don't know if that could potentially affect the quality etc.

The tilt function, from what I've read in my searches, is relatively easy to fix. It's basically a column disassembly and replace the motor. I'll be doing mine as it does not telescope, but I want to have the auto adjust feature disabled first so I have a new motor that works when I need it to. I really don't need a column to tuck itself away every time I enter/exit the driver's seat.
Disabling the auto adjust was easy with the techtool software or what ever it's called. I ended up just downloading a Windows XP virtual machine and used that.

I have both a 2000 LC with 244K miles and a brand new 2021 Taco with just 3K miles (manual). Two serves two different purposes. LC is very quiet and comfortable, Taco with Bilstein shocks is also good but don't get that soft cushion ride as a LC. Cruisers are usually reliable than any Toyota vehicle, but at 245K miles things can break even with very good maintenance as happened to my LC. The transmission started slipping while I am taking my family to Corpus TX. This will not happen in a new or low mile toyota truck. The LC is at a shop but it is very frustrating such as a LC with such a good maintenance could stand you. I love the LC but I find a low mile vehicle would be ideal to do long trips. Low mile used 200 is crazy expensive so I am looking for a Nissan Patrol Y62 (Armada) which is also a legendary 4x4 truck with twice the room as a LC behind the 3rd row.

I have both a 2000 LC with 244K miles and a brand new 2021 Taco with just 3K miles (manual). Two serves two different purposes. LC is very quiet and comfortable, Taco with Bilstein shocks is also good but don't get that soft cushion ride as a LC. Cruisers are usually reliable than any Toyota vehicle, but at 245K miles things can break even with very good maintenance as happened to my LC. The transmission started slipping while I am taking my family to Corpus TX. This will not happen in a new or low mile toyota truck. The LC is at a shop but it is very frustrating such as a LC with such a good maintenance could stand you. I love the LC but I find a low mile vehicle would be ideal to do long trips. Low mile used 200 is crazy expensive so I am looking for a Nissan Patrol Y62 (Armada) which is also a legendary 4x4 truck with twice the room as a LC behind the 3rd row.

Legendarily ugly. :D

My 2001 is at 275k miles. I have put more into it than i bought it for. I just put in new leather professionally installed for $2200 for all three rows and it feels like a new ride sitting in it. The best thing bout my LC is that its paid for. I dont mind shelling out $1200 - $1500 a year for maintenance items. Its still cheaper than a car payment.

For new leather check out Alea Leather - Best in Industry, OEM/ Customizable Leather Seat Cover, Premium Italian Leather - http://www.alealeather.com/eng/index.php

They are not the cheapest but i think i got a really good set of leather and it just feels so much nicer than sitting on torn, hard, worn out seats now. They can send you an email with local shops that sell their product.

Just use regular. Mine has 442k and I've always used regular. The original owner I purchased it from had also always used regular. I have owned certain cars that require premium fuel and I have used premium fuel in them. The lx is not one of them though. It may say requires premium but it will run perfectly fine on regular.
Regular gas everything.

Last edited:
I am new to the LC world so comparing to a LC, I can't yet. But comparing to other full size GMC and Ford trucks, very much so. My business partner has a taco, 2015 I think and it’s a base sr5 model. I absolutely hate that thing. Rides like crap, tiny cramped interior, gets crappy mileage to be so small, sounds like a coke can formed into the shape of a truck, and isn’t exactly powerful. I see no redeeming qualities in that Tacoma he has vs getting a far more comfortable, capable, and roomy full size truck if having at least a tiny little truck bed is what you’re after. For the life of me do not understand why they’re so popular. I could understand dealing with the cramped interior if it got great fuel mileage. Or accepting crappy mileage for a tiny truck if it felt really solid and drove well planted. The only possible benefit I can/have seen for it is that it's easier to park it in a garage downtown?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom