Sell my 99 LX for a new Tacoma? Crazy talk... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2 1/2 years ago (just before my 100 series came along) I spent a day with a loaner 2019 DCLB 4x4 Tacoma from the dealership. I expected to really like it but I very much did not. The seat and seating position was awful. I felt like I was sitting on the floor but I was still looking through the very top of the windshield and I'm only 5'11" on a good day. My neck was sore the next day from leaning forward to try to see out of the thing (first gen Tundras and Sequoias have excellent visibility which is what I came from). The 3.5L felt anemic, sounded awful and being a DCLB the turning radius was abysmal.

Drive one and see for yourself.

The seat and seating position was awful. I felt like I was sitting on the floor but I was still looking through the very top of the windshield
My Dad had a Tacoma and that is exactly what I’ve thought about them. Although quality is a priority for me, I can’t stand how they feel sitting, driving and seeing from those seats.

But then again everything seems… < less than… when you’re fortunate enough to have driven hundys and only hundys for 18 years.

Reactions: GTV
1st Gen Taco will always be the king of Tacos. Toyota has deviated too far from the truck’s origins.

My daily driver at the moment is a 4 door 2021 TRD Off Road Tacoma. It's provided by my employer and I lucked into it. It's a nice truck no doubt and I was excited to get it, as I'd had the same though about wanting a newer vehicle and a Tacoma specifically.

However, after spending a few months driving it I've determined that the only advantage it has over my LC 100 is an Apple Car Play radio. The LC is more comfortable, rides better, has a vastly better interior, and way more room for passengers. I personally prefer the smoothness of the V8 vs the seemingly constant hunting for gear of the V6. MPG, as mentioned isn't all that much better either.

On a personal note, as a family of 5 there is no way I could use a Taco for off roading and camping trips. It's just too small. Maybe I was just expecting too much, but I thought a 20 year newer vehicle would be a lot nicer compared to my 01 LC, but that hasn't turned out to be the case. I personally don't see myself moving away from the LC ever.

Just to be clear, I'm not bashing the Taco, it's a great truck, but I personally don't find it superior to a 100 series for my needs in anyway.

I've had a 2012 Tacoma and a 2018 Tacoma. Have a 1999 Land Cruiser now and it is better in all ways except that it doesn't have a pickup bed. When I need one I just hook up my trailer or put stuff on the roof rack.

Despite having a 4 speed and no VVTi I would still argue that the power the cruiser has is more comfortable and usable than the 2018 Taco. That Tacoma had to wind up like crazy to pull anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom