LX 470 Sell/trade or keep and fix/build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am at a the junction of deciding whether to keep my 470 forever or upgrading to a 200/570.

Back story: Bought my LX from a MUD member at 220k and The 470 just hit 260k as my daily commuter with very few issues. Like most of you I love the truck but it is worn, yet almost completely rust free, and The wife wants me to look at a newer car. I had a dealer offer me 8k for it and a good deal on a built 16+200. Unfortunately even after they wrote up the buyers order they sold it out from under me…pretty livid. 2 other subsequent deals fell through due to the damage.

Now I am now back to square one trying to decide to just fix/build to just keep it or take a lower trade and cut my losses. Any insight you all have would greatly help! Pictures for reference.
IMG_4444.jpeg

IMG_4413.jpeg

IMG_4418.jpeg

IMG_4416.jpeg

IMG_4411.jpeg

The damaged happened the day I agreed to the deal and lost a battle with a barrier in a parking deck.

What’s the damage? All on one door? Just swap a new door on!

What’s the damage? All on one door? Just swap a new door on!
Mostly cosmetic scrapes along the rear passenger door and trim yeah. I thought about pulling the running boards off anyway. I will look some more but it has been hard finding a clean parts vehicle in the DMV area.

99% of the time, or more, it’s cheaper to fix it. It’s certainly not a better deal to get another vehicle….. if the best deal is what you’re looking for. If you just want another upgrade vehicle then you’ll have to pay for it, obviously. But justifying it as the “best” solution ain’t it.

99% of the time, or more, it’s cheaper to fix it. It’s certainly not a better deal to get another vehicle….. if the best deal is what you’re looking for. If you just want another upgrade vehicle then you’ll have to pay for it, obviously. But justifying it as the “best” solution ain’t it.
Fixing is 100% cheaper especially considering if I move to a newer 200 series it will come with a monthly payment that I have enjoyed not having.

Fixing is 100% cheaper especially considering if I move to a newer 200 series it will come with a monthly payment that I have enjoyed not having.
Yea so I guess it depends on what you and wife WANT versus a specific financial strategy.

Fix it, no matter what you trade for it's going to come with its own costs. Higher insurance, a loan if you need one, still needs tires/oil/yearly inspections, things can still break.

It's rarely cheaper to replace your car unless you're talking rust/major collision. People like to use the scapegoat "its more expensive to fix than its worth" well that worth can the be the cost of a newer truck to replace the last. So if a trucks worth 4k but it needs an engine+labor for 5k you're down 5k. A new truck is...20-30k+ whatever the budget is, way more than 5k.

Just fix it and keep the truck. If the wife desires a newer car, then just get one. This one doesn't cost you anything. Why get rid of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom