Seeking initial advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed the Landcruiser was a little wandery when I drove it this morning. When I got in it after work, and took a turn out of a parking lot, I heard a big snap. And then couldn't steer. I had it towed to a Toyota dealer in rural VT. Looking to see if all the experts on here had any initial prognosis for what I should expect for a repair. To me, it looks like a tie rod or ball joint busted and everything came apart, wheel laying diagonally.

Screen Shot 2023-12-16 at 5.10.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-16 at 5.10.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-16 at 5.10.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-16 at 5.11.02 PM.png

The individual repair is what it is, but this is the time to do the full knuckle job if it's been a while. You kinda have to get in there regardless. New studs for those lower arms, and the full bearing/seal kit w/ grease service.

Without seeing further detail in person, you could probably replace the hardware that holds the arm on and reinstall it to get back on the road, but I wouldn't let it slide like that.

Whether there was a recent knuckle service (doesn't look like it) and those nuts/studs weren't torqued properly and/or checked after xxx miles, or it had just been a long time and they eventually came loose, looks to me like that's what happened. Things get loose, and then shear under steering load.

#checkyernuts

Edit: Based on this, and your tires, there is probably a fair amount of other maintenance needing to be done…

Last edited:
That's pretty concerning. Catastrophic component failure such as that is in my opinion overall a red flag that many mechanical components on the vehicle may be unsafe for use, especially on public roads. For repair of the front end with replacement axles your probably looking at 3500 in repairs to get the front axle going. Front axle shafts/birfields which will also need replaced for this job are expensive from Toyota but high quality.

That's pretty concerning. Catastrophic component failure such as that is in my opinion overall a red flag that many mechanical components on the vehicle may be unsafe for use, especially on public roads. For repair of the front end with replacement axles your probably looking at 3500 in repairs to get the front axle going. Front axle shafts/birfields which will also need replaced for this job are expensive from Toyota but high quality.
Oh i did the birfields and one of the knuckles got replaced then about three four years ago. Where I live people look at the truck like it’s a spaceship and don’t want to work on it so I am probably stuck with the dealer. Thanks all for insights.

Oh i did the birfields and one of the knuckles got replaced then about three four years ago. Where I live people look at the truck like it’s a spaceship and don’t want to work on it so I am probably stuck with the dealer. Thanks all for insights.
IT could be the studs fell out if they were loose and had not been tighten in awhile. Looks like you will be servicing the right side , Hopefully the studs fell out and did not shear you might be buying the knuckle instead of servicing it.

Gotta check your nuts once in a while.

It's really not that hard to do most of the work yourself. You don't need special tools (for most work), and the Toyota repair manuals (FSM) are in the Resources section for free download. They have all the details you need to do anything that is required.

You've owned it since new?
Which knuckle was replaced then (this side?) and why was that done?

Well, good news is, everything is fixable. Bad news is, how deep are your pockets?? Good thing that it happened where it did..... There is an almost endless source of info/tutorials on here and thru simple google searches that will tell and show you all you need to be able to fix it all yourself. Like someone else also mentioned, looking at the tire wear you have a lot more going on that has been blatantly ignored for too long. Probably a good idea to have the drivers side pulled apart and figure out whats junk in there too. Im gonna have a set of knuckles, steering arms, trunnion bearings/races, etc for sale next week. Switching over to Hellfires, so if you need anything, PM me. I just did a full knuckle rebuild kit on it in like March I think, including the studs. I have MAYBE 500 road miles and (5) trail rides on everything.

IT could be the studs fell out if they were loose and had not been tighten in awhile. Looks like you will be servicing the right side , Hopefully the studs fell out and did not shear you might be buying the knuckle instead of servicing

You've owned it since new?

Which knuckle was replaced then (this side?) and why was that done?
No I bought it used and pretty abused. My mistake, it wasn’t the knuckle I replaced, just the hub assembly. When I did wheel bearings, not remembering why I replaced the hub.

Well, good news is, everything is fixable. Bad news is, how deep are your pockets?? Good thing that it happened where it did..... There is an almost endless source of info/tutorials on here and thru simple google searches that will tell and show you all you need to be able to fix it all yourself. Like someone else also mentioned, looking at the tire wear you have a lot more going on that has been blatantly ignored for too long. Probably a good idea to have the drivers side pulled apart and figure out whats junk in there too. Im gonna have a set of knuckles, steering arms, trunnion bearings/races, etc for sale next week. Switching over to Hellfires, so if you need anything, PM me. I just did a full knuckle rebuild kit on it in like March I think, including the studs. I have MAYBE 500 road miles and (5) trail rides on everything.
Yeah to all that. But I live in the Northeast and don’t have a garage so winter repairs suck. Also, unlike most people on here, I just drive this. It never goes off road. So you’re saying that you need to literally replace the knuckles on those things as regular maintenance? That seems wild to me. They should last the life of the vehicle unless you’re abusing it or off roading. Then again, the thing is 30 years old.

Yeah to all that. But I live in the Northeast and don’t have a garage so winter repairs suck. Also, unlike most people on here, I just drive this. It never goes off road. So you’re saying that you need to literally replace the knuckles on those things as regular maintenance? That seems wild to me. They should last the life of the vehicle unless you’re abusing it or off roading. Then again, the thing is 30 years old.
In reality, most people don't do a front axle service as part of regular maintenance. It seems like about every 15 to 20 years is when the axle seals start to give out and start to visibly weep oil at the knuckle studs (when gear oil and knuckle grease start to mix due to failing axle seal). At this point, it is time to replace those seals and inspect (or replace) bearings. Most cars don't last 20+ years, so it's just one of those things that we see on long-lasting vehicles.

As others have said, it is a great idea to check torque on those knuckle studs from time to time. Lots of horror stories like this.

The job isn't too bad, just time consuming.

I hear you regarding winter repair work. It's a pleasure in Hawaii, dreadful in Alaska. BTW, your location says LA not NE.
Shouldn't have to replace knuckles ever IF they aren't abused or neglected. Sounds like you bought it with both of those boxes checked.

Where in the northeast? Your profile says Los Angeles.
Typically, steering knuckles never have to be replaced. However in your case where the studs have failed due to lack of maintenance, the threads in the knuckle might have been damaged along with the steering arm that was fastened to the bottom of the knuckle housing. You're not going to know until you take a close look.

So you’re saying that you need to literally replace the knuckles on those things as regular maintenance? That seems wild to me.
The knuckles shouldn’t need replaced unless damaged but the axle should be serviced regularly. I recall Toyota recommended every 60k

I hear you regarding winter repair work. It's a pleasure in Hawaii, dreadful in Alaska. BTW, your location says LA not NE.
Shouldn't have to replace knuckles ever IF they aren't abused or neglected. Sounds like you bought it with both of those boxes checked.
Yeah I’m in NE now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom