Seeking Advice on Purchasing 1982 LHD HJ47 Landcruiser – What to Look For and Fair Pricing? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I'm considering the purchase of a 1982 LHD HJ47 pickup Landcruiser originally from Costa Rica, now titled in the States. The vehicle seems clean as I have seen it in person, yet I do not have any pictures. It features 70 series turn signals and bed, has been repainted, and is a South American rig with no heat, AC, or disc brakes. The frame is clean, the diesel engine runs well, and the interior is decent, but a restoration may be in order. Seeking advice on what to look out for and a fair price estimation. Your insights are greatly appreciated!

Risky purchase as these typically have more bondo than metal, they look nice for about a year and then start dropping bondo chunks! Wiring is usually a disaster as well as alot of bush fixes! If the price is reasonable, plan on a restoration..It is a rare bird, not many hj47 leftys out there!!

Risky purchase as these typically have more bondo than metal, they look nice for about a year and then start dropping bondo chunks! Wiring is usually a disaster as well as alot of bush fixes! If the price is reasonable, plan on a restoration..It is a rare bird, not many hj47 leftys out there!!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the HJ47. I get what you're saying about the potential issues with bondo and wiring. It's a cool-looking ride, and I know they're kinda rare in the U.S. right now. I love my FJ40, 80 and 200 series and these trucks have struck a cord and am wanting one.

I'm reaching out for advice 'cause I'm into the idea but don't want to end up overpaying and dealing with a major restoration project. The price range for these HJ47s seems all over the place. Any rough idea on what I should be looking to pay based on what I told you? Any other tips you've got would be awesome too. Appreciate your help!

Hard to say without pics, market is pretty soft right now. Anywhere from $15 to 20k A big plus being registered in the us, ( would really scrutinize the paperwork and make sure all vin numbers match, vin tags are often bogus and faked..frame numbers are on the right front frame horn and should start with hj47.

SeanJohn,

Whitey knows his stuff ! Yep, $15-20K for a decent unrestored truck--but what is that? While they may ask for that much or more, my opinion is that would be a high valuation for most of the South/Central American 40/45/47 series that are first sent here. Yes, a very few companies can do fairly nice to very-nice restos, but those trucks won't be for sale at that price. In that part of the world, these vehicles are used as mules and pieced back together with whatever's available to keep 'em working. North Americans are seen as gullible and easily fooled. You've already seen the non-stock bed, the front lamps, likely some odd switch gear, and a nest of black-taped wires under the dash.

Take a camera and an ice pick with you on your next visit and check the soundness of the frame; look for tarred-over welds, rot in the floor pans, rockers, and door bottoms. Do a righteous comparison with your own 40 series. You may see genuine leather--not OE-- but be on the lookout for a quick slathering of Bondo and a hasty coat of lipstick on a worn-out work horse. You can politely listen to the story of how it was used sparingly by a little old lady from Cartagena who only drove it to church on sunny Sunday afternoons, a nice story, but verify that matches what you're seeing as you spend time checking it out.

Don't want to kill your dream or your enthusiasm, just be smart about carefully evaluating what you're getting and what more it will take to make it what you want. Good luck !

I imported a hj45 from Honduras a few years ago. I learned all about the importation process and did most of logistics and paperwork myself. I’m glad I did it but probably won’t do it again from SA. Possibly from Europe or the Middle East. I did inspect mine while I was in Honduras on a mission trip before buying. It does have the issues mentioned above 1/8”+ bondo in places, frame has been welded on, electrical issues, welded in non stock metal at the floor pans. And I found out the hard way that they don’t use antifreeze in South America! But my dad and I drove down to Ft Lauderdale to get it when it got through customs. My boys love it and my middle son and girlfriend wants to use it to leave their wedding in…so it’s a keeper.

Like said above inspect everything carefully and make sure what you are getting. In my opinion I’d look at an original fj45 if your in the $15-$20 range with the original bed unless you really like the 70 series bed and look and if your really wanting the H diesel. The H series engines aren’t going to be as common for finding parts for as an f or 2f. When my H froze I was told by many on here that it was a boat anchor so I opted for a used 2h. Still probably not the best Toyota diesel but I wanted to get it going. Hope this helps.

Jason

SeanJohn,

Whitey knows his stuff ! Yep, $15-20K for a decent unrestored truck--but what is that? While they may ask for that much or more, my opinion is that would be a high valuation for most of the South/Central American 40/45/47 series that are first sent here. Yes, a very few companies can do fairly nice to very-nice restos, but those trucks won't be for sale at that price. In that part of the world, these vehicles are used as mules and pieced back together with whatever's available to keep 'em working. North Americans are seen as gullible and easily fooled. You've already seen the non-stock bed, the front lamps, likely some odd switch gear, and a nest of black-taped wires under the dash.

Take a camera and an ice pick with you on your next visit and check the soundness of the frame; look for tarred-over welds, rot in the floor pans, rockers, and door bottoms. Do a righteous comparison with your own 40 series. You may see genuine leather--not OE-- but be on the lookout for a quick slathering of Bondo and a hasty coat of lipstick on a worn-out work horse. You can politely listen to the story of how it was used sparingly by a little old lady from Cartagena who only drove it to church on sunny Sunday afternoons, a nice story, but verify that matches what you're seeing as you spend time checking it out.

Don't want to kill your dream or your enthusiasm, just be smart about carefully evaluating what you're getting and what more it will take to make it what you want. Good luck !
Great advice and thank you!

If you’re looking for a nice 45 @Honger can help you. He is a well respected member of this forum that has an import business on the side.

There’s multiple 45’s for sale in the US currently.

Don’t get caught up in this one just because it’s the first one you’ve found. The SA LC’s are notorious for shady repairs and lots of bondo. If you search the forum you’ll find plenty of examples of “creative” repairs.

Trust me…time is your friend when looking for a 45.

I purchased 2 non running US spec 45’s. I have 3. Had I just been a little more patient I could have purchased 2 running 45’s that were only slightly more expensive (aka $5k-$9k more each). Live and learn. I don’t regret it and it’ll be great once they’re running/driving. But the time in labor and money I’ll have in parts will easily add up to the additional money I could have spent on the front end. Added to the fact that I could be driving them currently and enjoying them.

I personally place the US spec or Saudi 45’s at a higher value than the SA ones. You’ll have an easier time reselling them as well from what I’ve seen.

Here’s a Saudi Spec for sale: 1979 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45 Pickup - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-toyota-land-cruiser-fj45-9/
Currently $11k

Thanks for all your help and advice. It has been much appreciated. I will do my due diligence. That Saudi spec on BAT looks nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom