Seats and steering column in a 45... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rainman

Wondering what my next vehicle will be...
Threads
I'll bet this has been asked to death but haven't found anything that really answers my question (idea).

I'm quite a ways out from beginning this build but I am spending time planning ahead. My 4/65 FJ45 has what I believe to be original seats. In really quite good condition if anyone wants to buy them. Split bench. I digress...

I'd like something like buckets from a more modern Toyota truck with the adjustable headrest. Comfy and with the lumbar adjuster. I'm a short and trim guy so room front to back and vertically is not a problem. I am however considering a new angle for the steering wheel. It sits back pretty far and looks like it may even feel too close for me. It's been 20 years since I drove it. It's mostly apart at this moment.

The steering idea is way out in left field. Bare with me. I also have a '32 ford 3 window that is mostly complete. It's got a Clear Steer steering box installed. It's quite slick really. Alows you to aim the column a little flatter, at any height on the firewall, and as low as you want in the engine compartment. It also prevents the pole vault effect in a front end collision. Not sure I'll use it but it's a consideration having experience with it.
Unknown.jpeg

So bottom line:
1. Who's got great ideas for seats?
2. Who's got ideas for steering conversions that may add room the to driver's area? More like a normal vehicle. By the way, I'll be installing some version of power steering.

Ididit tilt steering column, and pretty much any seat on a custom frame if you are short and trim. Us big guys need to really get the seat style and height just right to fit.

An iDidit column is in my '32, I'm familiar with that. I'm 5'-5" and about 150. Truck is just about perfect for me...

Thanks Nolan. I'm measuring the seats in my Tacoma. Love them seats boy. With some steering adjustments, I think they'll fit fine. And yes, keep it Toyota. I'm guessing I can find them easier than South American seats.

Still open for more suggestions on both fronts. I love to have options.

The Hemi is a '53 Baby 241 Hemi. Gone through with a bore to 3/5" and swapped lifters to hydraulic. Dyno'd at a massive 166hp. It's now a 251. Cranked up on the first try on that dyno. Still need to put in the wire harness and finish the interior. Not to mention the other crap I have to do.

Back on topic. Found an iDidit column that's very close to the same diameter as a stock column that I could fit in the factory cradle under the dash.

Anyone know where I could buy good used seats from a Taco?

Last edited:
Red Ram! Dodge. Cute little thing. I used to have 5 old Chrysler hemi’s. All at the same time. Even had a Desoto hemi once.
Pre-land cruiser era.

If 3 point seat belts are an interest to you look at convertibles. I’ve helped do a few Chrysler Sebring swaps that came out nice. One bmw swap I had for a bit but passed on. Needle in a haystack but maybe look for a solara convertible donor if you want Toyota?

Second the Ididit column.

I finally got out to measure the Steer Clear box in the '32. I believe it'll work. I believe the mini truck steering conversion goes forward of the shock tower over the frame, right? If so, I think the wizard box set at a slight angle will only have a small interference with e brake pedal. Taking the curve out of it should do the trick. The lower column would then be just about level straight forward to the steering gear box. just about perfectly in the gap between the rocker cover and the cast iron exhaust header. I doubt this has ever been done in a Cruiser but I'd love to be the first again.

Down here we do the 60 series power steering conversion. It's crazy easy, though requires notching of the shock tower and some 70 series parts not readily available in NA [easy to buy online though]. It does however, look very OE. To the untrained eye it would look stock. Hands down the best mod I've done. It's actually almost too light. And you can set your column at whatever height you want because you have to cut and spline the steering column anyway [you only need the FJ55 column in a 1972+ truck and even then you can just cut the rag joint off your own column instead]. I'm 193cm and 100kg and my 45 is my daily so I set it up for my height. I actually ended up moving to column towards me to give me more leg room. Works a treat.

60 Steer Parts List 2.jpg
60 Steer Parts List.jpg

I run a Flaming River tilt column and a 13.5 inch MoMo wheel connected to a Saginaw box. I decided to go with a (slightly more period correct looking?) low-back PRP seat. I was very happy to dump the high-back Corbeau reclining suspension seats. I go 6ft and 225lbs, so maximizing the room and comfort was a work in progress. The high back seats forced the drivers seat to a more vertical position than I would like by their contacting the rear window glass.
NewSeats.jpg

Nice seats. Just a little too fancy looking for my taste in an old FJ45. Just went to their site and found something a little tamer. They do have a smaller footprint then the Tacoma seats I measured out to try. Just maybe I'll pull my Taco driver seat and sit it in the Cruiser and just try it out. I think I'd like something similar, used, and in need of upholstery. That way I could add heat and the finish look I want that matches whatever I decide to paint the truck.

Keep the suggestions coming. I'll bet it helps more than just me.

@Cirbo wouldnt still have the pn's for which prp's you used? My back still hurts from the stock seats. Yours seemed to give at least another inch or two of leg room

I run a Flaming River tilt column and a 13.5 inch MoMo wheel connected to a Saginaw box. I decided to go with a (slightly more period correct looking?) low-back PRP seat. I was very happy to dump the high-back Corbeau reclining suspension seats. I go 6ft and 225lbs, so maximizing the room and comfort was a work in progress. The high back seats forced the drivers seat to a more vertical position than I would like by their contacting the rear window glass.
View attachment 2221780.
What was the exact flaming river steering column model did you use for your FJ45? Trying to do your setup to get the most cab room in a 66 FJ45 that I can for my big boy body 6"3" 240 lbs....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom