Seat Cover and Foam replacement (Cruiser Corps and SOR) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I'd share my experience replacing my 30+ year old upholstery and drivers side seat foam.
Background:I have a 89 with about 212k miles, second owner in NorCal so pretty rust free. I have zero experience doing upholstery work. Purchased the seat covers from Cruiser Corps and got a replacement seat foam from SOR for the drivers seat. For me it took about 3 hours per seat, so I did it over a few days. I also had my son help for certain aspects which was very useful to pull things tight while clipping on hog rings and his more agile skinny arms were able to easily get in and wiggle out the headrest posts.
What I like about the seat covers: look close to originals, appear well made. Dislike: none of the holes for bolts and headrest were pre-cut and I had to create some of the openings for the wire frames that need to be transferred from the old seat covers. The SOR foam is pretty stiff, but in a good way and also takes a bit more work to get the covers over the fresh foam. Feel like I am now sitting about 2" higher. My one regret is cheaping out and not replacing both the driver and passenger side.

Tools required: hog ring pliers, needle nose pliers, exacto knife or razor blade, standard sockets (think I used a 12 and 14MM), Phillips screwdriver.

Including a couple of pics I took during the process showing before / after and for the backseat you can see the contrast between the old and new (pretty close match).

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0414 (1).jpg

IMG_0411 (1).jpg

IMG_0410 (1).jpg

Thanks for documenting the recovering. It looks great!
I'm trying to decide between what you did and the marine grade vinyl route. Just can't justify the OEM fabric expense.

Your work looks very good. Good job👍🇺🇸

Planning on getting around to this some day. If you don’t mind can you share what your project cost.

I've got to agree, as I really appreciate these pictures and updates.

The SOR foam pad is intriguing, but at 6' 3", i don't need to sit any higher and 2" is a lot.

In fact, you sent me on a hunt to find a fabric that's even closer to OEM stripes

I'd heard about this mystery company SMS Auto Fabrics

Tracked them down. Sent an email. In a couple days they sent me a swatch of what looks to be very close indeed, for those intrepid enough to sew their own seats for find an upholstery shop. $139/yard

IMG_2052.jpeg

IMG_2051.jpeg

IMG_2053.jpeg

Thought I'd share my experience replacing my 30+ year old upholstery and drivers side seat foam.
Background:I have a 89 with about 212k miles, second owner in NorCal so pretty rust free. I have zero experience doing upholstery work. Purchased the seat covers from Cruiser Corps and got a replacement seat foam from SOR for the drivers seat. For me it took about 3 hours per seat, so I did it over a few days. I also had my son help for certain aspects which was very useful to pull things tight while clipping on hog rings and his more agile skinny arms were able to easily get in and wiggle out the headrest posts.
What I like about the seat covers: look close to originals, appear well made. Dislike: none of the holes for bolts and headrest were pre-cut and I had to create some of the openings for the wire frames that need to be transferred from the old seat covers. The SOR foam is pretty stiff, but in a good way and also takes a bit more work to get the covers over the fresh foam. Feel like I am now sitting about 2" higher. My one regret is cheaping out and not replacing both the driver and passenger side.

Tools required: hog ring pliers, needle nose pliers, exacto knife or razor blade, standard sockets (think I used a 12 and 14MM), Phillips screwdriver.

Including a couple of pics I took during the process showing before / after and for the backseat you can see the contrast between the old and new (pretty close match).

View attachment 2357703

View attachment 2357704

View attachment 2357705

View attachment 2357706

View attachment 2357707
I hear you. It really boils down to budget. I did save the old covers with the idea that someday (after winning the lottery:) that I could get my hands on the OEM fabric and have the old ones used as a template. The Cruiser Corp covers are fine but they are missing a few things ( pre cut holes, pockets for seat belts come to mind). Good luck!

Your work looks very good. Good job👍🇺🇸

Planning on getting around to this some day. If you don’t mind can you share what your project cost.
I think I dropped about $500. Got the covers on sale (15% I believe) and had to buy a few tools. I’d say budget several hours per seat for removal/new covers/re- install.

I've got to agree, as I really appreciate these pictures and updates.

The SOR foam pad is intriguing, but at 6' 3", i don't need to sit any higher and 2" is a lot.

In fact, you sent me on a hunt to find a fabric that's even closer to OEM stripes

I'd heard about this mystery company SMS Auto Fabrics

Tracked them down. Sent an email. In a couple days they sent me a swatch of what looks to be very close indeed, for those intrepid enough to sew their own seats for find an upholstery shop. $139/yard

View attachment 2511321

View attachment 2511311

View attachment 2511322
Did you end up recovering your seats with this fabric? How did it go?

I went the same route you did and was annoyed by the firmness of SOR foam and added height. I later cut the foam down and it did lower it a bit, but found the original seats just uncomfortable. I kept an eye open on CL and found a pair Tacoma seats for free. They were in perfect condition, but did not come with seat frames. I needed up making new seat frames and bought universal seat sliders off Amazon. The end product, more comfortable, safer seats than original.

IMG_7885.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom