Searching short frying AM2 fusible link (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's my Sunday fun. 96 LX with 240k. It abruptly died while driving. AM2 fusible link is gone. I ordered 2 and replaced it after visual inspection of engine bay wiring. The new one went up in smoke as soon as I turned the key to ON. I have a temporary fuse for testing and one spare FL. I have cut open the main harness from the battery and the short is on the white wire with red stripe (AM2) going through the firewall only when key is ON. Dizzy, wires, plugs, alternator are Toyota and less than a year old.

Current condition is the starter will crank and interior electronics appear fine. Just no start due to AM2. Short persists after unplugging connectors for coil, dizzy, MAF, and pulling all fuses and relays in boxes under hood and cabin.

The only preexisting electrical issue is the gear selector switch. For the last month it has been sending incorrect signals to the cluster. Both D and R light up when in Drive and Reverse and the reverse lights are on in both cases. I know that's a bad switch, but doubt that this would be my short issue. The starter is aftermarket and close to 10 years old. It has been misbehaving and will be replaced this round of wrenching.

I have searched Mud and found possibilities such as injector wiring, shorted starter solenoid, etc... Currently going through FSM and wiring diagram. Headed back out to get this puppy going. Any input is appreciated.

The most common spot to have a short is where the harness passes the EGR pipe, second is near the ECU.

The most common spot to have a short is where the harness passes the EGR pipe, second is near the ECU.
Still searching. When you say "near the ecu," how close to the ecu? I assume where wiring passes a bracket, etc...

Still searching. When you say "near the ecu," how close to the ecu? I assume where wiring passes a bracket, etc...
In glove box it rubs on the bracket , pull glove box lid out and search

I don't have the wiring diagram with me to verify but it could be the O2 sensor heater element wiring shorting out near the frame or as the harness goes over the transmission.

Last edited:
Well I found it. Injector #6 wiring grounding on engine. Very close to the egr trouble spot. The main harness was pinching it down. Wires are repaired and no more continuity from AM2 to ground. I placed a temp 5a fuse in place of fusible link. It started and all was well. After reassembly I now have no starter and no radio. All 3 FLs are good and no blown fuses were found.

That’s enuf for one day. Grrrrrrrrrrr

Updates?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom