School me on ignition/distributors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.octagonmma.com
I know nothing about spark delivery. I'm considering a whole MSD setup for my SBC 5.7 350TBI but the Wise One says just go back with OE distributor, ignition, wires, etc. Now I'm confused. What's the biggest difference?

I have learned going stock is a heck of a lot easier to troubleshoot during a major conversion such as yours. It is nice to get everything running its best and 'then' start changing pieces of the system for enhanced performance.

Just my $.02

What's the biggest difference?

Nothing.

As long as they both make a spark at the right time, they perform the same. There is no advangate to having a longer or stronger spark and there are some disadvantages in terms of reliability.

My only thought is keeping your ignition system compatible with your TBI injection/ignition module. You might do better with reprogrammed chips (Hyperchip, Jetchip, etc) since the ECU controls the timing functions anyway?????

Wouldn't it make sense to keep what came with the engine then? It was running fine when removed so why change it? Of course down the road I may not be able to hang onto 5-700$ burning a hole in my pocket and spring for MDS! My ECU and engine came from the same vehicle and was in good shape, removed only b/c PO wanted 6.2 and not a 5.7ci engine. The distributor cap was damaged when we pulled the engine, so it needs to be replaced anyway, but other than that no issues that i know of.

Changing the chip is a performance enhancement I could perform down the line, if desired?

I had thought that if one has a modified motor with greater compression and other goodies that a ignititon system does make a difference, particullarly in the higher RPMs. Not to high jack the thread, but I going through the same dilemma. My motor seems to run like shizzle at higher RPMs and I was considering upgrading the inigition. Compression, air, fuel, spark.

I had thought that if one has a modified motor with greater compression and other goodies that a ignititon system does make a difference, particullarly in the higher RPMs. Not to high jack the thread, but I going through the same dilemma. My motor seems to run like shizzle at higher RPMs and I was considering upgrading the inigition. .

It might or it might not make a difference.

If you notice that your engine misfires or cuts out at high RPM, then it might be an ignition issue. My experience is that 6,500 - 7,000 RPM is where points type ignitions start dropping out because of points bounce or lack of dwell. Electronic ignitions won't have this problem.

Spark voltage is more of an issue with turbo/super charged engines than with a normally aspirated engine at any compression.

Try it and find out. Be sure to do a dyno run or speed trial with the engine tuned first to see if it makes any difference. I found out the expensive and hard way that fancy aftermarket ignitions don't necessarily do anything except empty your wallet.

As pinhead stated above, if they make an adequate spark at the right time, its really a wash. Force feeding more fuel and air with a SC or turbo changes the requirements, but for a normally aspirated SBC, a good HEI distributor is the best bet. easy to source parts and tried and tested...

My motor dies out begining at 4,500 RPMs and it seems that in the lower RPM's it not as responsive as it should be. I'm at a loss here, even after reprograming the chip for the TBI. The thing has a lot of torque, however.

The motor runs well, but it should be much better considering the motor work I've done. I don't want a race car, but I'd like the thing to be more responsive and not get so weak at the higher RPMs.

Wouldn't it make sense to keep what came with the engine then? It was running fine when removed so why change it? Of course down the road I may not be able to hang onto 5-700$ burning a hole in my pocket and spring for MDS! My ECU and engine came from the same vehicle and was in good shape, removed only b/c PO wanted 6.2 and not a 5.7ci engine. The distributor cap was damaged when we pulled the engine, so it needs to be replaced anyway, but other than that no issues that i know of.

Changing the chip is a performance enhancement I could perform down the line, if desired?
If it ain't broke don't fix. Spend the money on whatever needs change or repair, hoses ,gaskets , good rad, ,,,,, plugs,wires, filters ......... proper fuses and so on, but after you know you have a good runner.
I regreted changing oil and filter on a 2f once then found out it was junk. Waste of time and money.The order in which you do things is also important.

Vic

Please elaborate Vic......

i would stay away from an msd< your not racing the thing so i dont see why you would put it in. the po installed one on my truck and i regret having replaced it when it went out. it was wasted money that i would rather have spent somewhere else

My motor dies out begining at 4,500 RPMs and it seems that in the lower RPM's it not as responsive as it should be. I'm at a loss here, even after reprograming the chip for the TBI. The thing has a lot of torque, however.

That might not be an ignition problem, but rather a camshaft or air flow problem. There is a difference between misfiring and the power falling off at high RPMs because the engine is having breathing problems. Typically, high end power is a trade off for low RPM performance and visa versa. You can pick one, but you can't have both. The old racing saying applies to power and performance: "There is no replacement for displacement".

...Of course down the road I may not be able to hang onto 5-700$ burning a hole in my pocket and spring for MDS!

Sorry for my ignorance and the hijack, but I got this in a purchase... are there different versions of MSD or is this what you're talking about spending that kind of $ for?

thanks
DSC01695 (Small).JPG
DSC01696 (Small).JPG

yup. that's it.

That might not be an ignition problem, but rather a camshaft or air flow problem. There is a difference between misfiring and the power falling off at high RPMs because the engine is having breathing problems. Typically, high end power is a trade off for low RPM performance and visa versa. You can pick one, but you can't have both. The old racing saying applies to power and performance: "There is no replacement for displacement".

How would one get more air flow? I've done just about everything I can think of. Vaccuum is good, timing is good, but the truck starts to fall apart above 4,500 RPM.

The TBI system I'm running is a non-electronic ignition type from Howell Engine Performance. I'm running a vaccuum assist HEI distributor with the Holley Throttle Body.

The guys at my local speed shop seem to think I need to convert to an inginition control TBI system. This dilema has pissed me off since I've been running the truck.

This is a TBI GM 350?

If so, there is something very wrong if it falls off at only 4,500. They come stock with a rev limiter that kicks in at about 6,000 and I have hit it many times with the plain vanilla 350 in my old Suburban. Maybe a bad ECU or injector. Does it set any trouble codes?

This is a TBI GM 350?

If so, there is something very wrong if it falls off at only 4,500. They come stock with a rev limiter that kicks in at about 6,000 and I have hit it many times with the plain vanilla 350 in my old Suburban. Maybe a bad ECU or injector. Does it set any trouble codes?

I've replaced the injectors, the ecu and pulled trouble codes...Trouble codes are are stating that it's running right. I'm at a loss here. Keep in mind that the TBI does not have inigition control, its vaccuum control.

If your going TBI you really need to let the computer control the spark.

Nothing fancy. I use a stock fj60 distributor with all the guts taken out and the advace mechanisim welded together. Only thing you need is the trigger and the cap and rotor button. It is really easy to do.

For a 350 TBI you will be better spending money somewhere else to get more performance out of the motor than the ignition system. Stay stock and let the computer control everything.

The motor runs well, but it should be much better considering the motor work I've done. I don't want a race car, but I'd like the thing to be more responsive and not get so weak at the higher RPMs.

What kind of cam do you have? A torquer cam will make the engine hit a brick wall around the RPMs your talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom