Builds Saved from scrap - '97 LX450 build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@torfab is handling my swap. They'd be the guys to touch base with to discuss any details for swaps.

From what I can tell the LT1 and 8L90e isn't a common swap - looks like people typically use generation 4 blocks (LS3, etc.), not a gen 5. Went the LT1 route because I really like the idea of an 8 speed transmission and the engine runs the new version of VVT. Also because I'm a snowflake and Tor said he was up to the challenge.

While I'm sure I could pull a swap off myself, I have really limited room in my garage and a sloped driveway - Neither good for swapping engines. Also sure that the devil is in the details with these things and preferred to go with a shop with a track record of a bunch of successful Landcruiser v8 conversions.

As a side note, I ordered the crate engine and trans from Scoggin Dickey - And they don't charge sales tax when delivering to WA State.

Apparently I'm easily distracted. Replaced the LSPV and rebuilt the lever while I had the rear end out. Was actually a super easy process. After the nightmares I'd heard here about getting the valve off I was apprehensive. Zero problems - All of the bolts came right out and the brake lines backed off with minimal effort. Admittedly, soaked all of the threads in Kroil for about a week while I was waiting for parts to arrive.

I was surprised that I couldn't buy individual parts to rebuild the lever, but a full rebuild kit was available. :clap:

Planning to keep the LSPV and ABS as long a possible on the rig ... or at least until an expensive part blows. I know there's a lot of discussion around LSPV and ABS deletes, but given the potential insurance challenges that can cause I'd rather leave the system as intact as possible. If I'm really unhappy with braking performance I'll look towards hydroboost or something else to bolster the system.

PXL_20201116_005425848.jpg

Apparently I'm easily distracted. Replaced the LSPV and rebuilt the lever while I had the rear end out. Was actually a super easy process. After the nightmares I'd heard here about getting the valve off I was apprehensive. Zero problems - All of the bolts came right out and the brake lines backed off with minimal effort. Admittedly, soaked all of the threads in Kroil for about a week while I was waiting for parts to arrive.

I was surprised that I couldn't buy individual parts to rebuild the lever, but a full rebuild kit was available. :clap:

Planning to keep the LSPV and ABS as long a possible on the rig ... or at least until an expensive part blows. I know there's a lot of discussion around LSPV and ABS deletes, but given the potential insurance challenges that can cause I'd rather leave the system as intact as possible. If I'm really unhappy with braking performance I'll look towards hydroboost or something else to bolster the system.

View attachment 2497067
If you don't mind telling everyone, where did you source the rebuild kit for the arm and the valve assembly? I'm about to replace mine.

It all came from Partsouq.

4791060090VALVE ASSY, LOAD SENSING PROPORTIONING
0447760010BUSH & BOOT KIT, LOAD SENSING SPRING
4793760010PLATE, LOAD SENSING VALVE SET

About $150 total, before shipping.

A Gen 5 swap....this just keeps getting better!

Planning to keep the LSPV and ABS as long a possible on the rig ... or at least until an expensive part blows. I know there's a lot of discussion around LSPV and ABS deletes, but given the potential insurance challenges that can cause I'd rather leave the system as intact as possible.

I've read up on this for hours, and ultimately this is where I've landed for the same reasons.

Went to FedEx to pick up my engine and transmission ... and they've lost my engine. I swear I can't make this stuff up. I was politely asked to "wait a few days to see if it turns up". o_O

Oh, and Autometer shipped me my custom gauges ... without senders. I think I need a beer.

Went to FedEx to pick up my engine and transmission ... and they've lost my engine. I swear I can't make this stuff up. I was politely asked to "wait a few days to see if it turns up". o_O

Oh, and Autometer shipped me my custom gauges ... without senders. I think I need a beer.
Sorry. I grabbed it. They insured it right?

Yeah, I'm sure something was messed up on a cross dock somewhere and the engine didn't quite fit on a truck. On the upside, FedEx came to the party and will be delivering to Torfab direct at no additional charge.

In the meantime, the gauges look pretty good.

PXL_20201117_033207087.jpg

May change the oil temp out for something more meaningful in the future, but for now it's the "don't drive like a jerk until the oil is at 180F" meter.

@Delta VS thanks for the heads up on using mineral oil on the anodizing. Looks like it turned out pretty well.

Last edited:
What make and model carpet extractor are you using? Looking at upgrading my current setup to tackle this exact same thing on the identical twin to your rig. It's also a '97 LX that is back in my possession after 4 years of sitting. Mildew and oxidation rampant throughout the interior. Subbed and watching your progress. Great work so far!
205B2724-2512-4A1F-A2ED-C99F216825B8.jpeg

I have a Tennant Spot-2 extractor:
1605629736168.png

Ran with Ecolab extraction cleaner and some butyl-based degreaser on a couple of stubborn spots.

Works really well and can be picked up reasonably on the second hand market. If you do buy second hand, make sure the sight glass in the extractor head is intact - Frequent failure on these and almost impossible to find the part if missing.

You should have grabbed a beer when you were at the shop! I'm sure the engine will turn up ;)

Lol. I just left ya a message. Watching this thread is making me crazy. I have lots more room in my shop to do some/most of the work. I am happy to pay for consulting etc.

- about to empty my checking account

I think I saw a Fed-Ex truck show up outside today!
Great news - Not going to lie, that was stressing me out a little. Scoggin-Dickey told me I basically have the last LT1 crate engine in the country ATM and if I needed a replacement it'd be Feb/ March with no guarantees. Apparently Covid supply chain interruptions have messed with GM's crate engine production pretty substantially.

I got a little distracted by the DV setup and overlooked the LT1 / 8L90E combo. Wondering how your going to deal with the following:
- power steering pump setup
- transmission to T/C adaptor.
Love the idea and no expert but the 6.2 LT1 and 8 speed seems like such a better fit for the 80.

Drive junky makes an accessory kit that runs a power steering pump, and we have a solution to run the factory 80 series transfer case. We hope to have drivelines in stock location also so replacements and repairs are easier to deal with.

Holley makes three different front drive setups for the 6.2 LT1 as well in a high, mid and low configuration, all with PS pumps. A little more expensive than drive junky, but broader installation options.

Nice, doing research few years back I couldn’t find much on a swap like this but seems like it’s come a long way since. A lot of options. The trans looks very close to the 6L80E. Same adaptor? It seems like the 8L90 can be swapped from 2wd to 4wd easier if needed. It also looks like some output shaft options and possibly easier to work with.
im excite for you and it’s not even my 80 LOL. Hope it comes together well for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom