Builds Saved from scrap - '97 LX450 build thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, those look fantastic! What size tires? Have you/are you regearing?
37s. Regeared to 4.56s - I have a long standing hatered of little pinions.

Super happy most of the parking brake components are still available (and cheap).

PXL_20201214_004810074.jpg

Unfortunately I only managed to get one new backing plate, which happened to be the one I really messed up when the diff fell off the stands. Searched all over the world for a RHS - the orders I places in Canada, US and Japan were all cancelled after about a week as NLA. I heard that I can still order from Venezuela, but I can't find a non-sketchy parts source there. Ultimately I bent the RHS back in to shape and it looks pretty straight.

Super happy most of the parking brake components are still available (and cheap).

View attachment 2524321

Unfortunately I only managed to get one new backing plate, which happened to be the one I really messed up when the diff fell off the stands. Searched all over the world for a RHS - the orders I places in Canada, US and Japan were all cancelled after about a week as NLA. I heard that I can still order from Venezuela, but I can't find a non-sketchy parts source there. Ultimately I bent the RHS back in to shape and it looks pretty straight.
Obviously you've spent much more time trying to locate a backing plate that I have, but have you considered trying to get a used one and clean it up rather than buying new? New is great but a used one that's straight would be just as serviceable.

Obviously you've spent much more time trying to locate a backing plate that I have, but have you considered trying to get a used one and clean it up rather than buying new? New is great but a used one that's straight would be just as serviceable.
Yeah - this was more of a rage order at 1am after I bent the original LH. I definitely could have made better decisions. Not quite sure why I obsessed about getting the RH as well (with all the subsequent cancellations). It took me literally 2 min to bend the RH back into serviceable shape. :rolleyes:

I don't like this build, I love it!!!! Can't wait to see final product! :popcorn:

Incremental progress. Finally have the front boots on.
PXL_20201219_230449798.jpg

Painting the rear hubs tonight and hopefully it'll be resting on 37s all the way around by tomorrow.

Was surprised the drivers side is 3/4" shorter fender to ground than the passenger. More of a difference than I expected. Checked the back as well - Same deal.

It will be cool to see this thing in person. With the Delta VS front bumper you could really use the JDM side markers that go in the fenders.

I really like the way the critter catcher fits on the bumper and matches the lines of the truck. I've had rogue branches from trees hit the leading edge of my hood on other trucks while wheeling twice in the past, significantly messing up body work both times. Given how expensive/ hard to source the sheet metal is on these rigs it seemed like cheap insurance.

Doesn't hurt that I think it looks good, too. :)

Incremental progress. Finally have the front boots on.
View attachment 2529314

Painting the rear hubs tonight and hopefully it'll be resting on 37s all the way around by tomorrow.

Was surprised the drivers side is 3/4" shorter fender to ground than the passenger. More of a difference than I expected. Checked the back as well - Same deal.
I swear. I have to stop following this build. This looks so good. I didn’t realize you were going 37’s.

Are you keeping the grill Chrome or is there a chance you’ll black that out too? I love the white.

Not sure on the grill. Good chance I'll end up with Depos and projectors at some point, which will mean a new grill as well. I'll likely run what I have until then.

Not sure on the grill. Good chance I'll end up with Depos and projectors at some point, which will mean a new grill as well. I'll likely run what I have until then.
You can roll with this but Lexus 😂😂. This is my daughters rig. I picked up the hood at certifit and painted it LY.

but your rig will look good no matter what. I am curious on the rear bumper. You got the tire carrier and what did you do on the other side? jerry can 2 or 3?

8C802598-E023-453E-8A5C-62440E47A72F.jpeg

2 jerry cans and a high lift mount for the other side. Haven't mounted any of it yet, since it'll get in the way while I'm working on the truck. Actually wondering how it'll all work out with a 37" spare. Looked like it would be right with a 35. Assuming I may have to offset the spare a little more than I originally planned with the bigger tire.

I don't have projectors but I do have Depo's and love them. They're crystal clear but still retain most of the 90's look.

Rear end all came together last week and finally have tires on all the way around. I think I replaced or refinished basically everything on the rear, right down to fasteners because I had a horrible case of "while you're in there-itis". Tires fit well with the lower trailing arms set to +13mm and the uppers set to give -2 degrees on the drive flange. Just ordered a set of spacers, though - Rear tires were about 3" off the frame which I'm betting would rub on full stuff and lines up with what most other 4" lift/ 37" tire trucks have said here.

Really impressed with the quality of the DBA rotors. Guess we'll see how well they perform. Was surprised how well the braking system bled as well using a power bleeder. I was expecting all kinds of issues, but seems to be good. Fingers crossed.

Would have liked to get the truck outside for a picture in the sun today, but that's a little tough with no drive shafts at the moment. :doh:

PXL_20201220_233345399.jpg

PXL_20201220_233411029.MP.jpg

PXL_20201222_231000211.jpg

Since I can't see an oil pan between the front tires, I'm guessing the engine swap hasn't happened yet?

Are you going to put slackers behind those wheels? I think you won’t get that center caps on otherwise.

and it looks great. It’s making me want to tear mine down. But I am still putting a list together of what I want to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom