SAS SAS #6 Official Thread Aug 1 - 5 2022 (2 Viewers)

SAS #6 Colors for Shirts and Trail Flags

• • Capri Blue

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • • Sky Blue

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • • Pollux Orange

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • • Spring Green

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • • Yellow / Mustard

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • • Freeborn Red

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • • Rustic Green

Votes: 21 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh I know that turn. I've been watching youtube videos of it for weeks. As much as I love driving stick that one switchback is where I'd like to have an automatic. Reversing uphill is not my strong suit. I think I might be smelling some clutch.
Start with the e-brake on and ease off the clutch until it just starts to grab, then release the e-brake to get moving. Keeps the truck from lurching forward as you let the clutch out, and no dumping the clutch and spinning tires in the dust.

Takes a little practice to use the clutch, brake, gas, e-brake and steering at the same time, but it works great when you get it nailed down.

Edit: I intended to imply that you would just feather the clutch until you completely release the e-brake, so the e-brake won't cause a stall.

Last edited:
@ajax here’s a couple more of your old rig. I get yours & your buddies rigs mixed up. Your older rig had no snorkel, right?

99772E07-4B85-4C3D-BD64-ACB3F102476A.png

E8D583D5-1E94-48AB-A631-3849ECA4D62C.png

796A1AFB-8471-4BC1-AF83-1189B19F4A76.png

Start with the e-brake on and ease off the clutch until it just starts to grab, then release the e-brake to get moving. Keeps the truck from lurching forward as you let the clutch out, and no dumping the clutch and spinning tires in the dust.

Takes a little practice to use the clutch, brake, gas, e-brake and steering at the same time, but it works great when you get it nailed down.

Then with a Standard Tranny, you may Stall. Think about consequences now, not then.
It gets real, without Power Steering and Brakes in this and simular situations.

Just saying.

Then with a Standard Tranny, you may Stall. Think about consequences now, not then.

Just saying.

The tale grows taller each year :cool:
@ The machinist did all the trails with a non-lifted 4 runner with stock running boards. He survives on a box of pizza for the whole week. A legend….in the making.

Last edited:

Please tell me “…gas…” = hand throttle…

@ The machinist did all the trails with a non-lifted 4 runner with stock running boards. He survives on a box of pizza for the whole week. A legend….in the making.
I like where this is going...
Please tell me “…gas…” = hand throttle…
Toes on the brakes, heel feathering the throttle as the clutch begins to grab, then transition to just the throttle once you are rolling. Need to keep the hands free for steering and letting off the e-brake!

Just saying.
Just a suggestion. Its a whole lot safer in my opinion and its a method I like to use on steep inclines and declines; using the hand brake to your advantage is very useful in a whole lot of scenarios. I highly recommend you do whatever you are comfortable with and what works best for you when you are out there; at the end of the day, everyone is responsible for their own safety.

Edit: I intended to imply that you would just feather the clutch until you completely release the e-brake, so the e-brake won't cause a stall.

I like where this is going...

Toes on the brakes, heel feathering the throttle as the clutch begins to grab, then transition to just the throttle once you are rolling. Need to keep the hands free for steering and letting off the e-brake!

Just a suggestion. Its a whole lot safer in my opinion and its a method I like to use on steep inclines and declines; using the hand brake to your advantage is very useful in a whole lot of scenarios. I highly recommend you do whatever you are comfortable with and what works best for you when you are out there; at the end of the day, everyone is responsible for their own safety.

I was afraid you’d say something like that…Dios Mio 🫣

It's not as sketchy as the videos make you think. It's relatively flat and there is room. Especially in a swb 70 series.
I agree. A spotter there it is a great anxiety reducer too.

Is the TX convoy going to make a pit stop at Classic Cruisers again this year?

I think so.

I had to withdraw due to work obligations that have arisen.

I have a KOA spot (08/01 - 08/07) for the next in line or whoever needs it. PM me and we can figure out how to transfer.

I'm stuck overseas so unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year either.

I missed the deadline to cancel but hopefully someone else gets to use my spot to enjoy this epic event!

Someone better take some pictures for us who will need to live vicariously. :)

1657716330544.png

Instead of here:
1657716399966.png

She's stuck here:
1657716685739.png

Hopefully I can join again soon.

Safe travels everyone!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom