SAS SAS #3 Official Thread 2019 (2 Viewers)

SAS #3 Color choices

• Capri Blue

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Sky Blue

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Pollux Orange

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Olive Green

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Spring Green

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Cadet Blue

• Dune Beige

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Rustic Green

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Freeborn Red

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Yellow / Mustard

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It'd be great to roll along, but I think we'll be running a bit ahead of you, @Kleatus.

Our likely plans are to make it to KC Thursday night, and to CO Springs for Friday evening. By that point the elevation will have hit the 2F and seat time will have hit ourselves so I'm putting some time there in the city to have access to cold beers and service parts as needed. If all goes well, we'll push on early Sunday. I'd like to wet a line in the Gunnison or at least check out Black Canyon NP.

Local Beer? I hope you like Busch Light 🤣
Actually Busch light is what lives in the shop fridge. Local Greenville legend has it that one can get small parts powder coated for the price of putting a 30 pack of Busch Light in the fridge. Good morale builder

@Kleatus , any chance of Amarillo? I will be rolling right by. Possisbly @Dilspec as well (?)

We would love to join you and cruise out together but with my wife carrying it'll be difficult as she needs more frequent breaks/stops. We are going to end up taking i80 early morning on the 2nd. If it was me solo i'd be all for it.

SAS coffee being roasted (some of it) and checked the Winch line.
8A18FD0F-8747-49BE-B392-4B1C6974445F.jpeg
85A8FCCC-BEB4-4E5D-88BB-53139F40CD0E.jpeg
58F35F29-D2E8-497B-9B5F-B8197C92B66A.jpeg
7FBF0A30-4188-4661-A55E-58F93AF26B08.jpeg

I don't drink coffee, maybe i'll become a believer after SAS3.
We can’t all be perfect... :D At least you love Toyota!!!

We can’t all be perfect... :D At least you love Toyota!!!
As much as I love coffee (and I do LOVE it) if I could go back in time ~17 years ago when I started drinking it I would talk myself out of it. It feels like I can't even begin to consider the day without it at this point...like a morning hangover (when I didnt drink the night before) until I have it 🤣 Never met a more addictive substance.

As much as I love coffee (and I do LOVE it) if I could go back in time ~17 years ago when I started drinking it I would talk myself out of it. It feels like I can't even begin to consider the day without it at this point...like a morning hangover (when I didnt drink the night before) until I have it 🤣 Never met a more addictive substance.
I hate to admit it, but it’s true. When I started drinking it, I had to choke it down just so I wouldn’t fall asleep driving home at night. However now I NEED it to not be a bleep in the morning. :devil::coffee::)

CEBC1A92-A79A-4A54-8CB8-D9743AD5009A.png
Here

Any one able to join us? Here is the route Maureen & I will be taking to get to Moab and then on to Ouray.

Friday 8/2/19 leave Bishop, Ca. Spend Friday evening @ a hotel in Ely, Nv.
Saturday 8/3/19 leave Ely & arrive in Moab. Likely motel it on Saturday, then camp in the mountains Sunday, then head to Ouray.

We’d love to have someone join us over Ely or to Moab/Ouray. Let me know. John/Maureen

@John McVicker what trail are you taking from Moab to Ouray?

We arrive in the Grand Junction around Saturday, could potentially work...

@Dilspec current plan is to freeway it all the way from Moab to Ouray. Open to off-roading into Ouray but not familiar enough with the area and hadn’t really considered it. Whatcha thinking about?

Well, the BAD NEWS regarding info in my post 574 is that in addition to replacing the head gasket etc. I also need to put in new rings...dropping the oil pan etc. etc.

Now the GOOD NEWS is that I will begin this project on Monday the 22nd, which should be enough time to be successful and on the road in the 60 to SAS 3.

Since I’ve got this down time I also removed the radiator and took it in to the shop. A lot of work to accomplish as the deadline approaches. Almost feel like how @dogfishlake must have felt when he was doing so much last year as his drive time approached.
Man I hate to hear that, John. You have any help nearby?

Last edited:
^^^
Thanks Much. Very much appreciate the thoughts.

Won’t know until we put it all back together, but I feel confident we will stop the oil burning with new rings. Fresh rebuild last year, and it’s been running strong...just burning oil. I obviously did something incorrect when installing the rings. Have been doing a bit of studying since this surfaced and ‘think’ I know what to do & not do this time.

Not wasting any time between now & beginning the rings on Monday the 22nd. Picked up the radiator today and am ‘stack packing’ the camping gear. Should have the project finished on the 24th, test drive and adjust on the 25th and begin the drive on 8/2. Piece of cake. What could go wrong?🙉😱😳

@Dilspec current plan is to freeway it all the way from Moab to Ouray. Open to off-roading into Ouray but not familiar enough with the area and hadn’t really considered it. Whatcha thinking about?

I believe @REKCUT is doing the kokopelli trail instead of Rimrocker (which takes you into Montrose). He posted a thread with more details in the same section.

On a side note, success. Just need to mount the latches. Thanks again @dogfishlake

5DA1C5FE-C595-4835-B553-7684D353E1D8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom