Samsung tablet "Infotainment" project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi people, just finished an upgrade project. I had an old 8" Samsung tablet and came up with the idea of making my own "infotainment" centre. I designed and 3D printed a casing and a mount for the tablet which fits into the centre air vent / clock insert on the dash.
The mount fits into the sleeve of the vent from behind and screws securely into place and protrude forward. The tablet casing screws onto the mount and the tablet then slides into the case (a very snug fit to the point I will have to replace the casing if the tablet dies).
The screen angle is perfect, no sun glare while driving or any reflections from inside.
The Vent mount is hollow so that the A/C can keep the whole thing cold while I'm driving as well as still providing air to the cabin.
I made a replacement for the clock circuit board that fits into the mounting assembly and now have a useful double USB power outlet.
The Tablet connects to the Sony head unit via Bluetooth which means I can control the volume and go forward / back on the Spotify play list from the head unit as normal. The tablet hotspots to my phone, the holder is just a push fit into the useless cup holder cubby slot.
Everything is printed in PETG with thick walls and high % infill so warping should be minimal, When I'm parked up I always use a windscreen shade so direct sun shouldn't be an issue either.
Feel free to ask any questions.View attachment 3430985
IMG20230916154731.jpg

IMG20230916154848.jpg

IMG20230916132813.jpg

Very cool, now design it to fit a few different popular tablets and get it on the market.

So this could this be used for a large GPS screen?

Looks like the mount is canted a bit toward the driver, also good.

Great idea.

Great idea.
Yes absolutely, I originally designed it for a 10" Samsung tablet but thought I would try it with the older 8" first. The vent mount that fits into the vent is strong and reinforces the original sleeve with the frame secured by 4 small cabinet screws.
I had to make the thing modular as the vent mount has to come in from the fascia insert due to the vent sleeve reducing before the directional fin assembly/ (it was an absolute PITA designing it and 3 attempts at getting it a perfect slide in fit)
All the measurements for the tablet frame are taken from the bottom right hand corner so they don't impede into the LH side drivers vent.
You are correct, the tablet frame is canted towards the driver. It's only 12 Degrees towards the driver but looks more as the vent / clock insert sweeps round from the passenger (if that makes sense). I didn't want to cant too much as I wanted a more integrated look and I didn't want it sticking out from the dash and looking stupid.

For those of us who drive on the correct side of the road ;) (LHD) can you post up details how how someone might replicate this set-up? Would it just have to be canted to the other side or a complete mirror image??

For those of us who drive on the correct side of the road ;) (LHD) can you post up details how how someone might replicate this set-up? Would it just have to be canted to the other side or a complete mirror image??

It's better to move the steering wheel and pedals to the right side and drive properly . . .

👍

Great idea.
The original came from when my 5" NAVMAN died after 7yrs faithful service. A friend put me onto WAZE (free GPS app) so decided to use a tablet I had lying around. The original design used a couple of the dash switch holes to mount the frame until I could get around to the more integrated version. The whole design is modular so the frame can be reconfigured to virtually any tablet.

The tablet frame would have to be mirrored and the charging port / speaker holes relocated (5 minute job on the design).

Make it for LHD and I'll buy one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom