Rear camera project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello wonderful 80 Series owners, back with another little upgrade project.
Having started fitting out the back of the beast with a camping storage set up, the rear view mirror has become nothing more than a wind screen / wind shield ornament.
At the beginning of the year I had to replace the washer fluid motor and washer nozzles which meant disconnecting the rear washer nozzle from the system (I never used it anyway)
So.... had this idea to use both issues as an excuse to design a rear view camera set up with a monitor in place of the mirror and mount a camera where the rear washer nozzle was.
I purchased a cheap reversing camera off Ebay for $40 AU which came a 5" monitor, little 19mm diameter wide angle camera and all the cabling.
Here's a pic of the camera.
1699674137917.jpeg

It was a mission to remove the nozzle, 26 year old plastic either breaks to bits or holds on for dear life, it took me 15 minutes to eventually lever it out but out it eventually came.
I measured the hole and had to open it up as the jack plug connectors to the camera were too big.
I took it up to 15mm which allowed for wiggle room then had to figure out how to get the plugs and cabling through to the inside entry hole for the original washer tubing because, as usual, Toyota don't do things the easy way and the underside hole was offset. with no direct line of sight.
Some old wired washing line comes in very handy for finding hidden holes!
Routing the cables was thankfully quite easy as the underside hole is a stretched oval which allowed pulling the power line and aux feed plugs through without any issues.
I then dry fit the Camera mount that I had 3D printed in PETG, the angle and position was great and the sun shade cowl works perfectly, the mount was then silicone glued it into place.
1699674022693.jpeg

1699673462210.jpeg

I then re used the rubber grommets from the original washer set up to waterproof the holes int the body work, I cut the grommets, fitted the cabling and reinserted the grommets. They are a tight fit so I don't think I'll have any issues with leaking where I cut them.
1699673487893.jpeg

I will post some pics of the actual camera mount soon as there were some minor errors in the screen fit.
If anyone is interested in the mount I'm happy to send them the STL file.

1699674113978.jpeg

What did the 5" screen work out to be/look like?
Is it mounted where the rear view mirror was mounted?

I'm currently redesigning as I'm not quite happy with it, I will be utilising the original mirror stem to fix the monitor. I will post as soon as it's done :)

i mounted my camera beneath the LED tail-light in the back window. Very discreet and not subjected to weather etc. Angled down enough to just see the tow ball

i mounted my camera beneath the LED tail-light in the back window. Very discreet and not subjected to weather etc. Angled down enough to just see the tow ball
👍great minds think alike ;). That was my original plan but I have mirrored glass tint film on the back window and was concerned about reflection obscuring the camera, especially when it's raining (yes we occasionally get it in SE QLD). I also needed a bit more clearance past the back tyre to overcome the lovely blind spot we have at that rear quarter. Would love to see a pic of what you've done.
I'm also planning on fitting a camera to the back of the snorkel as well, the monitor I have has 2 aux inputs so I can switch between the 2 camera's.

here you go, took the pics last night when dark but if you zoom in on the 2nd one will see the camera with the rear door closed
I too have tinted windows however is fine during the day. At night if I turn on the rear spotty if need be

1699837919861.png
1699837936792.png

Hello wonderful 80 Series owners, back with another little upgrade project.
Having started fitting out the back of the beast with a camping storage set up, the rear view mirror has become nothing more than a wind screen / wind shield ornament.
At the beginning of the year I had to replace the washer fluid motor and washer nozzles which meant disconnecting the rear washer nozzle from the system (I never used it anyway)
So.... had this idea to use both issues as an excuse to design a rear view camera set up with a monitor in place of the mirror and mount a camera where the rear washer nozzle was.
I purchased a cheap reversing camera off Ebay for $40 AU which came a 5" monitor, little 19mm diameter wide angle camera and all the cabling.
Here's a pic of the camera.
View attachment 3478246
It was a mission to remove the nozzle, 26 year old plastic either breaks to bits or holds on for dear life, it took me 15 minutes to eventually lever it out but out it eventually came.
I measured the hole and had to open it up as the jack plug connectors to the camera were too big.
I took it up to 15mm which allowed for wiggle room then had to figure out how to get the plugs and cabling through to the inside entry hole for the original washer tubing because, as usual, Toyota don't do things the easy way and the underside hole was offset. with no direct line of sight.
Some old wired washing line comes in very handy for finding hidden holes!
Routing the cables was thankfully quite easy as the underside hole is a stretched oval which allowed pulling the power line and aux feed plugs through without any issues.
I then dry fit the Camera mount that I had 3D printed in PETG, the angle and position was great and the sun shade cowl works perfectly, the mount was then silicone glued it into place.
View attachment 3478238
View attachment 3478226
I then re used the rubber grommets from the original washer set up to waterproof the holes int the body work, I cut the grommets, fitted the cabling and reinserted the grommets. They are a tight fit so I don't think I'll have any issues with leaking where I cut them.
View attachment 3478227

I will post some pics of the actual camera mount soon as there were some minor errors in the screen fit.
If anyone is interested in the mount I'm happy to send them the STL file.

View attachment 3478240
This is great! This is exactly what I want to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom