Builds Salt wagon My first fj40 (build) (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I developed some photos and found pictures of my old fj80 and my kzj78! makes me miss them both! unfortunutly I am at the time in my life where I cant afford all three haha. One day I would like to buy another land cruiser to drive when I am working on the fj40. Probably a fj60 or some sort of land cruiser truck.
52751119782_c275c8f85c_o.jpg
52751686551_24df98e82f_o.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to mention I replaced the valve cover gaskets on the sbc. No wonder they were leaking.. The bolts were looser than hand tight. I took them out without a wrench. I am surprised I did not notice this before. The gaskets were not terrible but I replaced them anyway. I suspect the valve cover leaks were in reality just valve covers not tight enough. I dont think they were leaking when I got the vehicle witch makes me think over time they got loose. maybe the gasket shrunk. IDK. I really need to replace the oil seals in the intake next. On the back it seems to be leaking. cant really tell if its the oil presser sensor thats leaking or just the intake. Probably both. I might not do that until I just replaced the intake. I mentioned it before but I think I want to put one of the holley sniper kits on it this summer. (when I have some more disposable income).

This weekend I am going to check the timing on the sbc. I feel like its not 100% where it should be.

I should get my new door lock set and voltage regulator this weekend. I am excited to have locking doors!

Last edited:
Just Purchased this from @Drake2 ! very excited to get my steering wheel looking better with a horn button. I have a horn thats wired to one of those cheep horn buttons around the steering column. I just do not have the original horn button and components.(untill now!) I just need to figure out the Horn Brush (probably unubtanium) If anybody knows a solution for that let me know! maybe a horn brush will work from another vintage vehicle? Idk. either way at least it will look much better.

1672433715804.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @ToyotaMatt Love the key chain with the keys too! So I installed these both after work. the little clip that holds the door lock in was one of the most difficult jobs done thus far... my big hands dont fit in that door well haha. But my door locks and unlocks now. The voltage regulator took only a few minutes. I really need to paint the fire wall. The paint pealed off from the clutch master cylinder. I left the cap off once... woopsies. the old one was rough looking and I was worried about it.

IMG_2124.JPG
IMG_2125.JPG
IMG_2126.JPG
IMG_2127.JPG

Thanks @ToyotaMatt Love the key chain with the keys too! So I installed these both after work. the little clip that holds the door lock in was one of the most difficult jobs done thus far... my big hands dont fit in that door well haha. But my door locks and unlocks now. The voltage regulator took only a few minutes. I really need to paint the fire wall. The paint pealed off from the clutch master cylinder. I left the cap off once... woopsies. the old one was rough looking and I was worried about it.

View attachment 3275082View attachment 3275085View attachment 3275088View attachment 3275090

did you use the included supplied special #4 Mark HEAD gold Yellow zinc mounting bolts i sent with the Genuine NipponDenso Voltage Regulator ?

:cool:🍀🍀

Just Purchased this from @Drake2 ! very excited to get my steering wheel looking better with a horn button. I have a horn thats wired to one of those cheep horn buttons around the steering column. I just do not have the original horn button and components.(untill now!) I just need to figure out the Horn Brush (probably unubtanium) If anybody knows a solution for that let me know! maybe a horn brush will work from another vintage vehicle? Idk. either way at least it will look much better.

View attachment 3274904
Did you happen across this thread for information related to sourcing the horn brush/spring?

Did you happen across this thread for information related to sourcing the horn brush/spring?
Thanks! I had not come across that! but that helps for sure! I just purchased one that I need now! Now I can actually get my horn button working. I am hoping the button shows up Friday!

Some Updates: I ended up rebuilding the wipers on my own. I didnt take many pictures but one thing of note was the fact that the passenger wiper had Philips head screws that hold it together and the drivers side has flat had screws. Looked to be from factory. Maybe the motor was replaced or just it was around the time they switched to philips? IDN was strange. The motors were slow not because of grease but the shaft that turns in the threaded pipe was getting rusted and gunked up. I dont know what you call those parts. but after I took everything apart and regressed and cleaned everything the motors work flawlessly. They seem like they are in hyper drive.

Other future projects as it gets warmer: I need to fix the rockers. I have the materials I just gotta do a deep dive. I am going to barrow a plasma cutter this time too. I think that would be helpful for some of the fab i will need to do. I also will probably replace part of the rear floor. when I did the rear sill there was not enough of the back most part of the floor to make look nice. at some point in its life the sill looked to be patched over and they cut the floor too far back. I Just put some long patches in till I had more time to fix it. I also will reupholster the back seats around this time too. For sure going to go with @Cruiser Corps seat covers too.

I figured I would wait on both these till summer. the rear floor seemed like it would be easier for me in the summer because I am going to take the top off to also re do all the gaskets and the fiber glass top. (it will be alot of work) Luckily being familiar with fiber glass work on surfboards and boats will help me on this.

This brings me to my next part. I am going to put a bestop soft top on this summer while I redo the hard top. Hopefully I wont offend too many land cruiser people. I would love to put a SOR factory looking top but I cant afford it right now. Plus I am pretty sure I can fold a bestop back all the way and fold the windshield down with less work than the sor top. plan is use a soft top in the summer and hard top in the winter.

Thanks! I had not come across that! but that helps for sure! I just purchased one that I need now! Now I can actually get my horn button working. I am hoping the button shows up Friday!
If you haven't done so, you may want to get a new horn relay too. They are pretty cheap and an easy install on the passenger side fender. BTW: Careful: lest your forty destroys your wedding budget!

If you haven't done so, you may want to get a new horn relay too. They are pretty cheap and an easy install on the passenger side fender. BTW: Careful: lest your forty destroys your wedding budget!
I actually did replace the relay. I think I bought it from city racer. It was not too hard although one of the wire screws immediately stripped. I used a small tap to fix that.

Haha I know... luckly it seems like we have already paid for most every thing at this point. I think I still will need to pay for a wedding cake that is getting done locally and the Band witch a family member said they were paying for that. By the time I get around to the stuff mentioned above it will be after our wedding! Its only 30 days from now! April 22nd!

One is not like the other.

Today was one of those days... Had a bunch of a hole 6th graders in art, was waiting 4 months for a camera repair place to open the next wave of repairs today.. they opened and closed the repair forms in 8 minutes... Did not get a ticket for that. The cherry on top was the screeching sound I heard from the rear end of my 40 as I was pulling out of my drive way to get groceries. Luckly I only heard it in my drive way and stoped. Also luckly it was not somthing way worse. I actually thought it was the parking break at first. and then maybe somthing horribly wrong with the diff.. Funny how we jump to conclusions. Then I realized it was the passenger rear drum. Took it apart and found that one of the pads had come detached. I have seen pads completley worn out but its been a while since I have seen this. This happened to me many years ago when I was in high school on my old 1994 dodge ram 2500 (ohh yeah gas guzzlin v10 mind you).

Even more lucky I had an extra set of pads. Got it fixed in 30 min but it was still an annoying end to a long day.

IMG-2154 (2).jpg

took the top off to do some welding this coming weekend. I need to weld up some holes left by an after market/maybe home made roll bar. Figured I would take the doors off and drive around while the weather is nice. First time with the doors and top off. Its really fun! who knows i might just leave the top off for a while haha.

unnamed-3.jpg

I have been MIA for a little bit. The wedding is coming up on Saturday. Not a lot done to the land cruiser since I did the steering wheel. I Will begin the rear seat upholstery after my honey moon. I went on my bachelor trip last friday to Maine and saw a lot of cool stuff. But I only saw two fj60 land cruisers. I did however see this sticker that they labeled wrong.... at a brewery. I dont think thats a jeep....
IMG_2357.JPG

I have been MIA for a little bit. The wedding is coming up on Saturday. Not a lot done to the land cruiser since I did the steering wheel. I Will begin the rear seat upholstery after my honey moon. I went on my bachelor trip last friday to Maine and saw a lot of cool stuff. But I only saw two fj60 land cruisers. I did however see this sticker that they labeled wrong.... at a brewery. I dont think thats a jeep....
View attachment 3300553
Cut off the bottom part and that’s a cool sticker

View attachment 3300553
Congrats on tying the knot. Wishing you and your bride many, many years of happiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom