Builds Salt wagon My first fj40 (build) (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started the tear down of the drivers seat.the bottom was rough. I osphed it and let it soak for a day. then painted it. I had to tack weld part of the spring frame together in a couple places where it had broken. (the second picture is one of the places) Not the best job but hopefully nobody will see it until the next time the seats get done. I stripped the black paint off the lower part of the seat frame (part that goes on top of the tool box). And I stripped the black paint on the seat back plate and the two corner pieces that hold the seat together. I started painting the parts. starting to look nice.

View attachment 3263939View attachment 3263940View attachment 3263942View attachment 3263950View attachment 3263951

Passenger seat will be torn down and painted tomorrow. passenger side should be slightly easier as it has not been painted black. The back plate on the passenger side is rough though. Will take a little time to strip it and make it look nice.

LookS great, this is in my soon future as well.

At a stand still till all my upholstery until things show up. I am super annoyed at the post office. they sent back my hog ring pliers and my burlap because it did not have the p.o. box with the address. which is why I tell everybody to include it when shipping things. I ordered a bunch of stuff off of walmarts site but for some reason it did not include the p.o box I put in there. So 2 of the 4 things I ordered have gotten shipped back. I am 99% sure its because the post master is kinda an ass though. she could figure it out if she wanted to. its a pain where I live sometimes because the closes Walmart, lowes or any big store is a 1 hour ferry and about 2 hours of driving one way away. no bridge, I live on an actual island. So i buy most things online. anyways Rant over.

I did finish taking the seats apart and having the parts that show painted. Painted parts like the legs, hinges, brackets and seatbacks. They look really nice! also Under the really gross passenger seat I found a really toasted and worn out original seat cover I believe. these seats were originally coral as well.
IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG

IMG_1963.JPG

Is this what you’ve been using for paint removal ?

I kinda saw one in an earlier post.

View attachment 3265553
Yeah those are the ones I bought. there might be better ones out there but these worked well! you do have to be carful not to really lean into it and overwork an area as it will eat into the metal if you are not carful. They were great for stripping the paint for welding the rear sill!

Last edited:
Yeah those are the ones I bought. there might be better ones out there but these worked well! you do have to be carful not to really lean into it and overwork an area as it will eat into the metal if you are not carful. They were great for stripping the paint for welding the rear sill!

I wondered if they would grind into the metal. Good to know

Did you ever find a 4WD switch? I saw this discussion and it looks like this might work for you: Unobtainium - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/unobtainium.822577/page-156
I did find another that is in good shape. but the wiring that still exist in the land cruiser is pretty janky. where is your switch wired to? I will figure it out I have been distracted by the seats haha. I will say I love having the vacuum actuation and dash set up work. Its honestly better than the floor actuation that was in there. it was vague trying to figure out if it was engaged or not. I dont know if it was adjusted correctly or somthing. either way its outta there!. Ill keep it incase I need to switch it back though.

Ill post a picture of where I think it wires into later today.

Well these awesome seat covers showed up from @Cruiser Corps . they actually beat the rest of the things that I ordered off amazon to do the seats. This weekend I will be stripping whats left of the old seat covers and cushion and painting the seat frames! then hopefully after work next week I can start the reupholstering part of the job when everything shows up!
View attachment 3263137
Those are some good looking covers though we might be more partial to them than some!
Also happy to see that they arrived so quickly. We did in fact get way behind when materials were more of a struggle and the world was crashing in on all of us but that is hopefully behind us! We do our best to have our covers on the shelf and ready to go so our time frame that we have listed on the site can usually be beat and to you a little quicker these days.

Hope you love them once installed. We take a ton of pride in our covers with the fit and quality. Please let us know if any questions. We always like to hear the feedback! Well...... maybe not always but most of the time! LOL

Well I got carried away after work and one thing led to another. I pretty much have finished the passenger side seat. I made a few mistakes but I think its pretty good for my first time ever doing upholstery. I pretty much followed the advise that @Skreddy gave me in earlier post. Like he did I had to drill some holes in the seat frame to hog ring the seat cover down on the seat back. The listing wire was a little annoying too. all in all it was just a little tedious. I will finish the drivers tomorow and post some more pictures. thanks @Cruiser Corps its a great looking seat cover!
IMG_2034.JPG
IMG_2035.JPG
IMG_2033.JPG

Ill post some more photos tomorrow

Lookin good!

For the back panel, I used some black door edge guard or something off Amazon so the sharper metal edge didn’t wear a hole in the seat cover.

Wasn’t this exactly but something like it.
Rubber U Channel Edge Trim, Door Edge Guard Seal Strip, Rubber Edge Trim, Fits Edge up to 0.08 Inch (2mm) U Shape Weather Stripping (10 Feet, Black) https://a.co/d/bUkHiyu

Lookin good!

For the back panel, I used some black door edge guard or something off Amazon so the sharper metal edge didn’t wear a hole in the seat cover.

Wasn’t this exactly but something like it.
Rubber U Channel Edge Trim, Door Edge Guard Seal Strip, Rubber Edge Trim, Fits Edge up to 0.08 Inch (2mm) U Shape Weather Stripping (10 Feet, Black) https://a.co/d/bUkHiyu
You know.. I had wondered about this. Ill order something for that shouldnt be too hard to take it off and add it to the seat back.

Lots of sand and not the cleanest interior right now but hot damn those seats look so much better! This summer Ill re do the rear seats. I saved some foam for that job. really the only thing that I should have done is add a little more foam to the drivers seat. but its still 1000% better than it was before and better than the jeep best top seats that was in there before. Its one of those things that you learn what will work better the next time you have to do it. Also there is my daily driver camera my leica m3 from 1961.

IMG_2040.JPG

I am still stoked on the seats. Cruiser Corps was the move for sure.They seem very durable. and very comfy! I finished some mundane things that I am really excited about.

First thing I did was weld in the hook keepers on my hood that I got from @Dallas Todd I drilled out the spot welds to get them off the aprons. Then I plug welded them to the hood. They look great. I need to blend the paint a little better.
IMG_2057.JPG

Then I was cleaning out the glove box because I had been throwing bolts and things that were unused in there and I found one bolt and nut that hold the oem windshield wipers that I have. I had been looking for that bolt forever! I thought I should have them but I could not find it in any of the bags of bolts that I got with the land cruiser. I could not find the other bolt though.

Unfortunitly one of the blades the tip was broken off and I was still missing the other bolt. However now that I had the other bolt I could actually see how it works! I decided to make a trip to the hardware store and see if they had anything that might work. I found an acorn nut that was small and tall that seemed to fit then I found a screw that fit the threads of the acorn nut. I then bought a nut that was about the same size of the oem nut.

I cut the top of the screw off and welded the nut to it. Then I had somthing that worked like the oem nut and bolt that holds the winsheild wiper on.

The next issue I had was the tip of the windshield wiper where it attaches the blade. I just found out that the blades of the cheep wiper fit on the end of the oem ones! so issue solved!

Now I have oem windshield wiper arms attached!! The biggest reason I am stoked on this is because the wiper arms sit closer inward to the windsheild. In testing folding down the windshield the aftermarket arms stuck out too far and would not allow the windshield to rest on the bumpstops. Now it should allow that!

Now for the bad news. the passenger side motor went out. I think its gummed up with old grease. I need to take it apart and see. Anybody here on mud rebuild these motors?
IMG_2056.JPG
IMG_2055.JPG

I am still stoked on the seats. Cruiser Corps was the move for sure.They seem very durable. and very comfy! I finished some mundane things that I am really excited about.

First thing I did was weld in the hook keepers on my hood that I got from @Dallas Todd I drilled out the spot welds to get them off the aprons. Then I plug welded them to the hood. They look great. I need to blend the paint a little better.
View attachment 3271013
Then I was cleaning out the glove box because I had been throwing bolts and things that were unused in there and I found one bolt and nut that hold the oem windshield wipers that I have. I had been looking for that bolt forever! I thought I should have them but I could not find it in any of the bags of bolts that I got with the land cruiser. I could not find the other bolt though.

Unfortunitly one of the blades the tip was broken off and I was still missing the other bolt. However now that I had the other bolt I could actually see how it works! I decided to make a trip to the hardware store and see if they had anything that might work. I found an acorn nut that was small and tall that seemed to fit then I found a screw that fit the threads of the acorn nut. I then bought a nut that was about the same size of the oem nut.

I cut the top of the screw off and welded the nut to it. Then I had somthing that worked like the oem nut and bolt that holds the winsheild wiper on.

The next issue I had was the tip of the windshield wiper where it attaches the blade. I just found out that the blades of the cheep wiper fit on the end of the oem ones! so issue solved!

Now I have oem windshield wiper arms attached!! The biggest reason I am stoked on this is because the wiper arms sit closer inward to the windsheild. In testing folding down the windshield the aftermarket arms stuck out too far and would not allow the windshield to rest on the bumpstops. Now it should allow that!

Now for the bad news. the passenger side motor went out. I think its gummed up with old grease. I need to take it apart and see. Anybody here on mud rebuild these motors?
View attachment 3271014View attachment 3271015
Looking great! Might want to check with @thundermcawesum on the wiper motor issue.

View attachment 3271013

View attachment 3271014View attachment 3271015
I rebuild them!

Actually, I just finished a set for @1chukar
F076CDA8-E435-490B-AA6A-A1385A1B4A91.jpeg
D24EC221-1B35-4192-B32A-E874B9B1311E.jpeg
FD5CE9C6-B858-4A24-8CD3-08BBB14C1A69.jpeg

CA8EF57B-E769-4AB5-8D59-AE3896963156.jpeg

Hey @thundermcawesum whats your turn around time and everything? I have the older style that has two motors. You could PM me if you would like. one motor works but is slow and the other motor worked but recently stopped although you can tell it wants to move. and moves slightly sometimes. I am guessing the gears are gummed up with old grease. I am just happy I got the older style wiper arms on and found all/made the parts to make them work.

and thanks on the seats! I am pretty proud of how they turned out.

Last edited:
Hey @thundermcawesum whats your turn around time and everything? I have the older style that has two motors. You could PM me if you would like. one motor works but is slow and the other motor worked but recently stopped although you can tell it wants to move. and moves slightly sometimes. I am guessing the gears are gummed up with old grease. I am just happy I got the older style wiper arms on and found all/made the parts to make them work.

and thanks on the seats! I am pretty proud of how they turned out.
Right now I’m pretty free. I like to under-promise/over-deliver, so I’d say 3-4 weeks max once I get it? Send me a PM and we can work it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom