Safari snorkel - power increase? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've heard some mention there is a small power gain when a snorkel is put on as it provides more air into the system, and that the stock air intake on the HDJ81with 1HDT is quite restricted. I also noticed quite a few people are running the air scoop "forward" rather than backwards (isn't it supposed to be installed facing backwards?).

Anyone have any dyno numbers, data or comments to address this question?

There's no way that adding 2 metres of intake piping can improve performance. But that doesn't stop the manufacturers from adding it to their list of claims.

Check your current intake isn't sucking hot air from inside the engine bay and you're set.

Hi,

I have one in my rig and didn't notice any power increase. I was always told that a snorkel would decrease power output...

I use mine facing forward for the only reason thats the way it was designed for.

Facing them backwards at high speed actually makes your engine work harder as they have to suck twice as hard to pull air back down.

I doubt there's a power increase. They're designed for the opening to face forward, they are supposed to stop water ingress, nothing else. Mine also runs a filter sock on it which helps keep my main air filter clean. (and yeah, it works)

I have a TJM and never felt any power increase. However I like the feeling of invulnerability when doing river crossings.

Kalawang

I am considering getting one just to get colder air to the turbo. I drive some pretty dusty roads too and I can see how it might help with that.

If there's colder air going in then there may be some minor gains in power but I don't think you're going to feel much...

I am considering getting one just to get colder air to the turbo. I drive some pretty dusty roads too and I can see how it might help with that.

If there's colder air going in then there may be some minor gains in power but I don't think you're going to feel much...

You can always get a Donaldson prefilter from any CAT dealer.
Mine works great.

Martin:
If you want more power, an intercooler is the way to go.
I think safari reports 25% more HP and 28% more torque, and 3mpg increase if you drive the same (IE: Not driving harder becuase you have more power. :) )

Cheers,
N.

$2500 is a hell of a lot of money for an intercooler. If 5x as many people were buying them I'll bet the price would be half. I also suspect that the fancy intake pipe makes up a considerable portion of the cost.

I'll give them some credit, though. The kit looks like a nice bolt-in job for those who need someone else to do all the design/fab work and the numbers they report are impressive.

There would be no power increase from a snorkel. The only ram air that increases power is from a turbo or supercharger - that I know of. Wind coming into a 2X3 opening at 10-60MPH would do very little in my opinion.

Plus it needs to do a 100 degree turn and run BACK down the snorkel line.

I use mine for an extra filter and waterproofing. No other reason.

Also, dust doesn't get in as much when driving in convoy on backroads because the intake is about a metre higher in the air instead of behidn the headlight (which gets SPRAYED with rocks/dust)

Snorkel for nince off road look .. ok

Snorkel for river crossing .. ok

Snorkel for performance .. at least at 200 km/h any improve.

You can always get a Donaldson prefilter from any CAT dealer.
Mine works great.

Martin:
If you want more power, an intercooler is the way to go.
I think safari reports 25% more HP and 28% more torque, and 3mpg increase if you drive the same (IE: Not driving harder becuase you have more power. :) )

Cheers,
N.

Martin, Western Star here in Abbotsford off of Riverside Rd also is a Donaldson dealer. Mike is their parts guy. I have talked to him about getting a Donaldson snorkle for my Safari, after I was told by some Aussies that Donaldson also makes snorkels.
John

okay, i will chime in on this one...
snorkel faces the windshield, here is where the most airflow will be forced down the pipe.
the air being forced will help since the engine doesn't have to pull dead air from inside the engine compartment
there will be no increase in power.
the EGTs will drop slightly due to cold air coming in.
i do the snorkel for 2 reasons, cool look and water crossings...

Facing them backwards at high speed actually makes your engine work harder as they have to suck twice as hard to pull air back down.

Facing them backwards is to keep water, mud and insects out.

Ram air is insignificant at legal speeds and won't even exist with the small intake area of a snorkel. You need a much bigger scoop area to stop the engine from having to suck even at highway speeds.

I've heard some mention there is a small power gain when a snorkel is put on as it provides more air into the system, and that the stock air intake on the HDJ81with 1HDT is quite restricted. I also noticed quite a few people are running the air scoop "forward" rather than backwards (isn't it supposed to be installed facing backwards?).

Anyone have any dyno numbers, data or comments to address this question?

Martin, I've heard from a few folks who have pyros in their trucks that they have noticed a drop in EGT's from pre and post snorkel install. Harder to get up to the max temp, and slightly lower in general driving are the comments. One persons subjective comment (other then the visual drop noticed at the pyro gauge) was the truck felt peppier.

This makes sense: drawing in cooler outside air, and in some situations removing restrictive under hood piping (think 7* series intake across the rad).

The word "power" can be confusing. Think "efficiency". I would suggest the engine would be more efficient. Cooler air means denser air, which means more oxygen, which means better burn, which means using the fuel more completely, which increases efficiency. If this means more power to you...then fine.

I think it's a worthwhile mod for diesels, on a number of fronts.

hth's

gb

The word "power" can be confusing. Think "efficiency". I would suggest the engine would be more efficient. Cooler air means denser air, which means more oxygen, which means better burn, which means using the fuel more completely, which increases efficiency. If this means more power to you...then fine.

I think it's a worthwhile mod for diesels, on a number of fronts.

hth's

gb

There are simpler, better and cheaper ways to get cold air into your engine (if that's what you're lacking).
Ways that don't involve 2 meters of convoluted plastic piping.

Check out my posts in the 40 section..Stainless snorkle, with a safari cap, under $200

Mszekely, did you notice any differences in driving after the install? It looks like you did a really nice job.

There are simpler, better and cheaper ways to get cold air into your engine (if that's what you're lacking).
Ways that don't involve 2 meters of convoluted plastic piping.

Sure, sounds good. For me there are other considerations that make a snorkle a good thing, beside cooler denser air. Building on and looking at everyones ideas are the power of places like this.

The one thing I have discovered from 21 years of responding to emergency scenes is there are always "other" ways to skin a cat...and many ways could work just as well. Keeping ones mind open is the trick.

hth's

gb

EDIT - Mszekely, nicely done on the 42. Gozzard tub too eh...nice!

Last edited:
I haven't hooked it up under the hood yet, but I'll be doing that tonight...and thanks for the compliments, much appreciated...

and yes Gozzard tub, Greg_B when you say "too" do you have a glass tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom