Rust, Rust, Rust Everywhere! (10/74 Fj40) (2 Viewers)

What would you do in this case

• Reinforce and repair as nessecary

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Buy the new 1.1Guage tubs that are found in the vendor section

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • reinforce, paint, forget

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • NOTHING...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.projektenterprises.com
Rust, Rust, Rust Everywhere! (10/74 Fj40)<--REAL POST

Ok. I bought my 10/74 and it is just FUBAR with the amount of rust I have been finding. My question is since it has become enough to comprimise the floor integrity of the rear of the tub what would you do(as per the poll options above):
1. Reinforce and repair as nessecary
2. Buy the new 1.1Guage tubs that are found in the vendor section
3. reinforce, paint, forget
4. NOTHING...absolutely nothing!
it is a DD for now and normally only has me in it. I have a seat mounted as such:
dscf1427.jpg

for now so that I can fit my son's car-seat. I would like to go to a floor mount and will reinforce that area as a TEMP FIX ONLY for now when I find the right seat(the one pictured wouldnt fit down and in)

My major question is when i get the money saved for a Frame Off should I consider finding front fenders and a tub that are in good condition or should i really consider new? will post more pics of rust sometime tomorrow.

UPDATE: PLEASE POST WHY YOU VOTED FOR WHAT YOU DID!

projektdotnet said:
should I consider ........... a tub that are in good condition..............?

Maybe I am not getting it, but where exactly is the "not so good" condition on this tub?

Wanna sell it to me? :D

DSRTRDR said:
Maybe I am not getting it, but where exactly is the "not so good" condition on this tub?

Wanna sell it to me? :D
actually i was more just looking for advice. I am wondering if I am really gonna resto this much or just clean it up and stop it from rusting further. as it is i got screwed on the price (hardcore) but it was a good lesson learned. I have about 3 days to still walk away from it but I have put small bits of time/effort and a decent amount of $$$ so I am gonna stick with this one. If you notice the holes in the corner of the tub (and those arent the only ones) they follow the structure of the floor-pan of the rear of the tub. I would have to re-inforce before I could floor-mount the seat (unless i stay rear-facing). further debate?

I would say to replace the quarter panels completely. Then, on the floor without pictures that's hard to say. There is a thread here somewhere I read the otherday on someone who did an outstanding job replacing the whole floor. Mine has one rust hole in floor 2"x3" between door and tool box driverside and it will be a very easy patch with new metal welded in. My quarters are both being replaced. Front fenders just have some minor surface rust so sand, treat, prime and paint are my plans.

Didn't vote in the poll, but happy to add my .02 here. Like Claudia said, cant see that the rust is all that bad or uncommon as far as cruisers go. If you just got the truck, I really would be focused on the body as of yet, as that is not what is most likely to leave you stranded. In other words, make sure the rig is mechanically sound first.

That said, it's great that you are actually worried about the safety of your child. I still have a few of the old ConFerr forward facing rear seats that mount to the top of the wheelwells [no floor issues there] for sale. You call call the shop if you're interested. Link below.

:)

!
!
!
!
!
!
V

I didn't vote either, but yeah, just wanted to add my 02...

I have recently completed working on my cruisers rust. My tub was in, what I would say, close to the same condition yours is in. All I did was, grind off the surface rust, and cut the bad rust out and replaced with quarter inch steel. Rust proofed, with rubberized undercoat, primed and painted.
Not frame off resto, but the truck will look decent when it's done.

Like others have said, the rust on the tub doesn't look that bad/uncommon. I've seen a lot worse. If you post some pics of the floor that might help others comment on possible options.

check out http://www.geocities.com/iam_the_land_cruiser/photo.htm
This is the process I went through with my rust.

Good luck.

i also think you're smoking crack if you think that's a rusty cruiser. ;) that's considered pristine to many. but if you feel you need to fix it, then do it.
PB200009.JPG

Actually : from looking at your pics, that'en aint too bad! just rember; on a quiet night, you can hear a landcruiser rust...........

I HATE rust. That's why I'm going with the Panama tub (mine should be ready to ship this week or the next) :) , so naturally that's what I voted for. I'm also doing a frame-off, and the #1 reason for me doing a frame-off was rust, and I will get rid of every last ounce of it!!!!!

How far you go depends on what you want. If you try to patch it, you'll wind up chasing rust for the rest of the rig's life. Again, depends on how much rust bothers you (seems some of the guys on here actually kinda like it :confused: :eek: )

Unless you have the $$ to get the new tub, I would just cut out all the rust and replace. It doesn't look that bad. strip as much of the paint off as you can and use a good rust preventor like POR 15 and the like.

I think you need to decide what your long term solution is first. IF you're going to even consider a new tub, just bearly do what you must to get by. But if you're going to consider doing a little at a time, start with what is bad and replace it with solid metal, coat it really good so it won't rust and just keep doing it little by little. After a few years, you'll have solid metal all around and you can put a good paint job on it. You didn't say how talented you are, can you weld? If not, get a cheap mig and start practicing, it's not hard but can be tricky. Also, whats your purpose of this vehicle, I know you said it's currently a dd, but will it some day be for nothing but hard core wheeling? that will change everything.

How much money do you want to spend? Do you have tools (welder, compressor cuters grinders paint spray, etc) How much space do you have to work on it? Any backup vehicle? It's easy to say to "give it a try", but without the resources it will be tough.

One thing to remember though about the fj40's is that the body is more like a model t ford than like a modern car. It really is relatively easy to fix.

Are any fumes getting into the car? Remember, a youngster is going to have pretty low tolerance to CO poisoning.

another rear seat option is the middle seat (in front of sliding doors) from a minivan, got mine from a dodge caravan, fab up some brackets to the frame to hold it up, that way your floor strength is irrelavant.
that's not a very rusty cruiser, really, there is one around town here that is daily driven, missing the bottom 4" off the rear quarters, and the whole rear sill basically the whole tub is covered in surface rust.
what's your budget and ability?
my vote would go towards bondo+tremclad, fix it right once you have another DD, otherwise it ends up being a halfassed job usually.

An option not yet mentioned is that you could purchase a tub from a wrecker here in Central America and have a local shop here in Central America swap it over all during a killer holiday, and probably come out $$ ahead of welding in new panels.
You can see my solution to the '60 series frame rust here http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427623 No reason a similar solution cannot be found for '40 series tub rust.

Gumby said:
That truck doesn't look that bad at all. It really doesn't. Those are common rust areas. Patch panels are available. Tubs without rust in those areas that has not been repaired are pretty rare.

This is a rusty Cruiser
makes me feel much better about mine. I am not eactly metalurgy inclined at all. I failed welding HORRIBLY! I hang out with Alan and his crew up in ogden (his son did the welds for the seat bracket). I may have it reinforced and just patch up the holes leading INTO the cab but after looking at that floor I realize that I have nothing in comparison. eventually it will be my trail rig (since it's already been started on its way) and then I will get another series for road-driving (60 possibly). that pic is REALLY scary though...I wouldnt even TRY to sit on one of those seats. Tetnus(sp i know) booster anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom