RTH- Swapping fuel pump to Supra pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
I am using Toyota 23221-46110 Supra fuel pump. But there is enough of a difference that I need the mud illuminati to get involved. As you can see from the photos, the bottom of the original and Supra pumps are different enough that I can't use the rubber isolator for one. The height of the pump means it pushes against the outlet pipe and there is no connector.

So I need to find out if I'm supposed to be adding eyelets to attache the electrical? So I bend the tube to allow for more clearance? Do I remove the rubber isolator?

Help?!?!?!

image-4171379007.jpg

image-3191766988.jpg

image-1388865387.jpg

image-3057516009.jpg

Last edited:
I am using Toyota 23221-46110 Supra fuel pump. But there is enough of a difference that I need the mud illuminati to get involved. As you can see from the photos, the bottom of the original and Supra pumps are different enough that I can't use the rubber isolator for one. The height of the pump means it pushes against the outlet pipe and there is no connector.

So I need to find out if I'm supposed to be adding eyelets to attache the electrical? So I bend the tube to allow for more clearance? Do I remove the rubber isolator?

Help?!?!?!

Just give up. :flipoff2:

J/k

Interested in this new saga. :cheers:

Just give up. :flipoff2:

J/k

Interested in this new saga. :cheers:

You suck :flipoff2:

I gave up when I posted an RTH thread :meh:

But I just went with my gut. I didn't want to extended the wires to the pump but I didn't have a bolt/nut that I felt comfortable using.

I will add pictures of what I did. Truck is back running. Driving it now. It sounds like I have a mini SC under the second row now :)

WOT is where I notice the change. I'm happy.

Get a hose clamp and use it to secure the pump to the hanger. You should be able to sort of squish the rubber isolator in there well enough to secure the strainer to the pump intake. Just be sure you measure the total length of the stock assembly and then duplicate that length when positioning the pump. You don't want it to suck air before the tank is truly empty. Be careful with the fuel level sensor too. Its easy to tweak it so that the gauge is not accurate.

For the pressure side, the metal tube needs to trimmed a inch or so. Just enough to keep,the high pressure fuel line from kinking as it bends to make the connection. Use two hose clamps, or use a flare tool to flare the cut off end to keep the fuel line from slipping off under pressure.

Use electrical ring terminals to make the connection, fuel doesn't conduct electricity. I took the pump to a hardware store and got the nuts and lock washers, in stainless of course.

You will like this pump. It's a monster, but super duper quiet. I can barely hear mine run with the engine off. It easily supplies the 60psi my vortec motor needs.

if you hear noise them something is not right. The pump may be contacting the bottom of the tank. Like I side, mine is totally silent. It runs full voltage all the time and the only time I hear any sign of it working is when I cycle the ignition on, however I don't hear the pump but rather the fuel dribbling back into the tank through the return.

nice write up!

It's not hitting anything nor is it vibrating against the side of the tank. Under normal driving its silent until I punch it. Then I can here it spinning faster. It's a definite spool up. Let me see if I can record the sound it makes.

That is why I mentioned in both of my posts "If it is tuned for it" I am sure with a supercharger that has been properly intercooled and running a small pulley you could find the need for more fuel. In NLXTACY's case, and in any NA case it is overkill.

That is why I mentioned in both of my posts "If it is tuned for it" I am sure with a supercharger that has been properly intercooled and running a small pulley you could find the need for more fuel. In NLXTACY's case, and in any NA case it is overkill.

Er...I'm now bored at 4.6 liter. There is an SC going on with small pulley. There will be an IC installed. Injectors are still to be determined. Why exactly would I NOT want/need more fuel? I'm not doing the tuning myself. Just the build. What am I missing?

I was just curious.

I'm running a SC w/7th injector and have plenty of fuel.

I'm not running the 7th injector nor did I plan to. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but how is a 7th injector better than a larger pump and larger CC injectors?

You can see I clearly said with a SC that is properly intercooled, and has increased boost will need more fuel. Not sure where you are taking exception with anything I said. When you get to that point you will need it. But it is of no benefit to your current setup and for those asking unless they get to that point.

Er...I'm now bored at 4.6 liter. There is an SC going on with small pulley. There will be an IC installed. Injectors are still to be determined. Why exactly would I NOT want/need more fuel? I'm not doing the tuning myself. Just the build. What am I missing?

Sorry I can go back and change my post and say, in NLXTACY's current setup which is NA, and on any truck that is going to stay NA, there is no need, but I kind of thought it was implied.

Hehe. No worries. I was panicking because I was wondering if I had really screwed up :cheers:

But after reading up on everyone's successful build that I seemed to be headed in the right direction. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom