RTH - Seized flare nuts on fuel pump hard line (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Both flare nuts on the fuel pump hard line on my 62 are seized to the point that even the flare nut wrench on the 14mm fitting begins to expand and allow it to slip when I reef on it. It's the only part left needing to be disconnected to get my tank down, and obviously since it's a fuel line, heat is out of the question (along with anything that would destroy the line since it's NLA). It's had Mouse Milk soaking on it for a few hours now and still won't budge. If anyone has any suggestions or tips I'm open. Trying to get it done and back in by tonight if possible so I won't have to borrow my GF's car tomorrow.

Without heat, you're limited. You could clamp some lock jaws on the head of the flare wrench to keep it from expanding.
Worst case scenario, break the line but try to keep the fittings. You can bend up a NiCopp line in a few minutes.
I feel like an idiot for not thinking of the vise grips. I grabbed my 10" ones and clamped em on the wrench and managed to get the frame end fitting apart. Got it down and managed to get the tank end fitting apart. Got some Mouse Milk soaking on the pump bolts while I take a lunch break and hopefully I can get it apart without breaking any. It'll give me an excuse to try my new hand impact screwdriver in hopes it'll help them break loose before I try to turn em.

Glad you got it apart. I sucks when even the flare nut wrench starts to give way.

I have some of these I can go to. They require about the same access as the vice grips and don't stay locked, but you can generate a lot of force with only hand power and the smooth parallel jaws mean you don't mangle the nut.

Amazon product ASIN B015NL4X8K

Glad you got it apart. I sucks when even the flare nut wrench starts to give way.

I have some of these I can go to. They require about the same access as the vice grips and don't stay locked, but you can generate a lot of force with only hand power and the smooth parallel jaws mean you don't mangle the nut.

Ooh...those are fancy. Nice.

Parallelity is the key.

Yes they are fancy...I didn't initially realize the initial vice grip suggestion was to use the vice grips to hold the flare nut tight against the nut. I think that is a great idea.

I hate it when I mangle my nuts.

Mouse Milk and the impact screwdriver kept the hardware from breaking! It was OLD and corroded horribly (the screws), so new pump is in the bracket and some nice new stainless hardware has it secured in place. Makes me REALLY wish I had the time to cut an access panel in my cargo floor. Inside of the tank was in amazingly good condition after 33 years and 320K miles, too! Very little buildup on the old strainer even. And this was the factory original unit.

pump 01.jpg

pump 02.jpg

pump 03.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom