Mechanical fuel pump priming needed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pulled the motor out of my wife’s rig about 6 mos ago, and finally went back with the rebuilt motor this weekend. I can get the motor to run by adding fuel to the carb, but it doesn’t appear the fuel pump is sucking anything out of the tank.

I’m using the original 3 line pump with a new spacer and gaskets. It was working fine before I pulled the motor, and has been stored inside on a shelf.

Does this pump needed to be primed somehow? If I have someone crank the engine while I put my finger over the inlet feed I’m not feeling any suction which seems odd. Not sure how much suction there should be.

Original pump you say? Having a 40 year old pump sitting on the self with no fuel in it dried and split the diaphragm the minute some pressure was applied to it.

Original pump you say? Having a 40 year old pump sitting on the self with no fuel in it dried and split the diaphragm the minute some pressure was applied to it.
Yes it’s the original pump, I was afraid of that! I’m going to check the vacuum out of the inlet tube tomorrow with a gauge just to confirm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom