Routing Satelite Antenna Cable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hiya,
Has anyone mounted an antenna for a satelite radio on their fj/bj 40?
I spent a while trying to figure out a good pathway but kept running into snags.
I was hoping to come in through the washer nozzle make a left or right through the windshield frame and then drop down to the floor. The problem is there isn't much room in the holes at the bottom of the windshield frame. I couldn't get to the one on the passenger side as the A/C unit was in the way.
Anyhow, if someone had a successful cable rounting I'l love to hear about it.
Thanks in advance,

PC

The only sat install I've done was for an XM antenna on my Volvo. I have the antenna mounted on the drivers side, and the cable routes in with the windshield trim around to the door at hood level and simply is closed in the door. The cable seems to be holding up fine. I'd say keep it simple like that so when you cancel your subscription it's easy to remove. :D

The ideal antenna location is the highest point centered. I assume you have a hard top?

I plan to put mine on the hood or possibly on the cowl. That way hardtop or none, I don't have to mess with moving it. I have Sirius on two suv's and the highpoint is good. They really are forgiving, as long as you are not under the cannopy at the bank or gas station.

I was going to attempt to start wiring mine in also. Mine is on my car, but when I purchase the second antenna, I'll see what I come up with.

I have a magnetic CB antenna mounted on the passenger fender - the cable is routed through the vent slots

My Xm is on the hood so I can take the top off. Works great. Be sure to leave some slack in ant. wire to open hood.

I'd be tempetd to try something like this and stick it on the front window since I hate drilling holes... No idea how well they work though.

TERK introduces a glassmounted automotive antenna for XM satellite radio. The XM-approved TRK-SR1X features TERK's exclusive ThruGlass technology, which passes DC power, along with the RF signals, through the glass surface. The interior coupler is then hard-wired to the receiver using 16 feet of XMapproved low loss micro coaxial cable, which is pre-terminated with color coded, FAKRA type SMB connectors. The antenna is installed with a special adhesive that is extremely durable yet removable. The TRK-SR1X does not use any permanent mounting techniques, nor does it require any drilling.

I have mine mounted on the rollbar of the 40.It goes through the fiberglass top with no problem.

antenna

if that antenna shoots the signal thru the glass you will have poorer reception as it is not hard wired. I used double sided stickum things from the hardware store to attach my Sirius antenna to the plastic cowl in front of the windshield of my Xterra. Works great, outta the way and barely noticable.

Mount it as a shark fin hood ornament.

Scare all the other cars out of your way ;)

Mine works great from the dashboard

The guts are behind the dash, and the unit is in the glove compartment. The actual antenna sits at the windshield/dashboard. I'll look for pics and see if it shows up, other wise I'll take one of it

Last edited:
Thanks,

Thanks for the replies. I've considered most of them already, except for the shark fin and the hat.
I'll wait till I get the unit back (it was defective from the get go) and then play with different locations before settling on a permanent one.
I also do not want to drill any holes.
Thanks again.

PeterC

I have a piece of metal welded in place in the middle section of my roll cage. It was originally installed to mount a CB. I place my antenna on top of that. The signal goes right through the hard top no problem. I don't have a headliner so that might have an adverse effect I don't know.

XM Antenna

My XM radio antenna is magnetic -- I just stick it right to the dash...works great ! No need to route it anywhere and makes it much easier to go from car to car...not having to pull it out.

Mark CC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom