This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So we purchased the Boss Air Suspension from SloCruisers. We have a Chevy S-10 gas tank in the rear and going to have to reroute the exhaust location to install the air suspension.

It looks like the only location is going to be out the side in front of the passengers tire. See attached picture as a reference that I found on the interweb.

Does anyoene foresee any issues / exhaust fumes / inspection / etc?

imagebmp.jpg

Without seeing what obstacles the S-10 tank and the air bags are it is hard to say where to route the exhaust.

Without seeing what obstacles the S-10 tank and the air bags are it is hard to say where to route the exhaust.
The air bags are going to take up all of the space between the wheel well and the rear shock, and the gas tank blocks the center. I think that the only place left over would be out the side in front of the rear tire/behind the door.

The FJ is not at my house, it is in my Dad's shop otherwise I would send pics. I will see if he can take some pictures.

Not a definitive answer but I am finishing up redoing my exhaust system and in the process I studied a lot of photographs of FJ40 exhaust systems and saw quite a few that did exit in that same location. My previous set of duals exited even farther forward than that with no fumes noticed, I will add I was driving it with the top off. I feel the farthest point to the rear of the vehicle you can get is best . If I located my tail pipe in the location you show for a little extra insurance I would use a downward facing slash cut tip.

I would personally recommend having the exhaust come out behind the rear wheels as much as possible. My rig has the exhaust coming out right under my front seats and the fumes are terrible! I desperately need to have the exhaust re-routed to the rear. I too have an auxiliary 22 gallon gas tank in the very rear of the frame. Mine has a sbc350 so I will need to have the exit pipe come out at the corners.

I would personally recommend having the exhaust come out behind the rear wheels as much as possible. My rig has the exhaust coming out right under my front seats and the fumes are terrible! I desperately need to have the exhaust re-routed to the rear. I too have an auxiliary 22 gallon gas tank in the very rear of the frame. Mine has a sbc350 so I will need to have the exit pipe come out at the corners.

I went with a two into one exhaust for my 350 SBC and that let me route a single pipe all the way to the back but although there is no rear tank on mine I can see with the right profile muffler a single pipe system could be routed back along the left hand frame rail depending on the size of the gas tank

Inspection depends on the state, some care more than others. I think with classics they let more slide, like old Corvettes with side pipes.
A turndown may help direct fumes away enough to avoid cavitating into the cab space

I ran fenderwell headers for yrs running my SBC, with the pipes & mufflers on the outside of frame rails and exiting towards the rear tires and I never had issues with exhaust smell. The biggest problem was the exhaust was exposed to trail rash. I did a lot of mods to get them as close and high to the frame and bottom of the tub. I periodically had to replace header and collector gaskets. I think the biggest issue you'll have is running the pipes on the passenger side is there's a lot going on that side of the 40 with the offset driveline, T/case and driveshafts.

Last edited:
How bout an update? What did you end up doing? I just got mine back from the muffler shop. My dual mufflers are located outside the rail right under my front seats and out between the tire and leaf springs and out behind the rear of the vehicle. I don't rock crawl so no worried about have rocks crush the mufflers. Will post pics shortly.

So your mufflers are outside the frame rails then go under the frame to the inside of the rails then out behind the tire? Who do you want an update from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom