Wanted Round smooth mirrors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am still thinking that it would be hard for even Toyota to paint mirrors body colour, especially if they were outsourcing them. I mean it would have been unnecessary task and increase in cost back then. If you see Toyota didn’t paint many other accessories in body colour such as fog lamps, license plate frames even lamps on FJ40. Anything that was going to be bolted after the main body paint wasn’t usually painted body colour.

Think about it painting just the housing in a particular body colour with mirror glass in it would have been a daunting task on a fairly large scale.

(Edited whole lot and made it lot smaller)

I dunno. There’s early literature that shows the license plate brackets and even pro winches painted body color. They painted bumperettes and trailer socket brackets to match so who knows.

I think it’s time for someone to go to Japan and hunt down the archives. :bounce2:

I doubt it too. But a mirror painted to match a body was painted somewhere. "By Toyota" can mean two things, during manufacture in Japan, or after landing by a Toyota dealer. The third possibility, by a PO.
BananaBenderQLD, is the mirror you posted off a rig with this color original paint? It looks like oem primer peaking through.
Mirror is in the original body coloured paint. The FJ25 that came from the same property had the same mirror matched with the body paint.

My '64 had body color front turn signals and bumperettes. Definitely parts that were painted separately from the body. On soft top rigs, the top frames were also body color. So mirror heads wouldn't be that big of a stretch.

2x

I think it’s time for someone to go to Japan and hunt down the archives. :bounce2:
Start a "Go fund me" thingy, I'll do it.

So on to the topic of not smooth (stamped) round OEM mirrors. My '71 had 5 and 1/4 inch ones. But I added a new one and it didn't look right. Got out the tape measure and it is almost 5 and 3/4 inches. When were these larger round mirrors stock? Most for sale now seem 5 and 1/4".

Time to answer my own question.
The transition in round mirrors was discussed in this thread:
The 145 mm mirror seems to have run from Jan. '75 to June '80.

And now, courtesy of @hdtachtig who picked up this mirror on EBay 5 years ago, another smooth round mirror candidate. This one seems to have traits in common with the latter reinforced OEM mirror, but he doesn't think it's OEM.
image (5).jpg

image (6).jpg

So Smittybuilt sells a 6" round mirror and I'm thinking this might look pretty good painted body color. Throw the arm away, it looks like that difficult short lived one that ran from the late 60's to early 70's.
20211005_215852.jpg

20211005_220601.jpg

So Smittybuilt sells a 6" round JEEP mirror and I'm thinking this might look pretty good painted body color. Throw the arm away, it looks like that difficult short lived one that ran from the late 60's to early 70's.
FIFY Keith.😛

Cant be anything worse than the Peterson mirrors I run on the 45. :hillbilly:

FIFY Keith.😛

Cant be anything worse than the Peterson mirrors I run on the 45. :hillbilly:

Thanks Mark. May I have another?
Actually, I think they got it from Chevy, so not Jeep, which makes it OK. ;)

Search eBay for CIPA 5" CJ2A mirror. I have used them and really like them. Look great. Just toss the cheap arms. I also pulled off the gasket around the mirror.

If you go after market just Just throw a cheap truck light on there about 5 bucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom