Wanted Round smooth mirrors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s also unlikely it’s a Japanese part since the JIS thread pitch for an m6 thread is 1.0mm.

Ive seen a lot of old advertisements with a smooth round mirror, but for some reason I’m not convinced Toyota ever made a smooth round mirror on a Landcruiser. The FJ25-1963 FJ40 Parts books show a smooth round mirror, but it could just be a lack of detail in the drawing. The 1964 manual shows the rectangle mirror, and then the 1967 manual shows the stamped round one.

It’s also possible they used a generic aftermarket mirror similarly to how they used aftermarket reflectors on the early cruisers.
Do you have a shot of the mirror in the 1964 manual?

I have a book. Will check this evening.

1963:

E577AFAE-133D-433D-9E38-84981F69E4EB.jpeg

1964:
4E70EAFA-71A0-4D22-A893-7BA0C5D7AE85.jpeg

My best guess is that my early '64 (5/63 build) came with a single mirror on the left, and it was probably round. First owner had a right side mirror added when the rig was nearly new, as the right mirror arm had all the same paint colors as the left and the rest of the truck. It also came to me with a matched pair of Grote brand rectangular mirrors.

I suspect (but have no way to prove) that the Grotes were installed when the right mirror was added, and probably replaced a small round mirror on the left. I think this because the original owner was not big on aesthetics, only function and cost. He probably felt the small mirror was not big enough and replaced it. Because if it had been OK, he wouldn't have paid for a pair of Grotes, only one.

All conjecture, of course.

As bought:

da7f5eca-8a42-4c8e-a66f-56cb9c1e8611-jpeg.1582102

And now:

img_1358-jpg.1801790

1965 Book:
20181005_184557.jpg
20181005_184358.jpg
20181005_184541.jpg

Take note that the 65 book also shows the wrong (end of the line) 2-screw rear view mirror. Mine definitely had the 3-screw from the factory.

s-l225.jpg

~33 bucks on Ebay. I'm good.

Last edited:
Hmm. All the more reason to stick with the same aftermarket mirrors mine came with. Too much uncertainty on what "original" might really be for a very early '64. Who knows?

Yeah, mine came with 2 Grotes—the driver’s side with a short mirror arm, and the passenger side (dealer installed) with a long mirror arm. (I may have those switched.)

Okay guys, I have some news on the round smooth mirror.

I posted a photo of the mirror that was on my early-64 "Dirtbag" Land Cruiser, and it had what appeared to be 6mm 1.25 pitch threads. It was suggested by @Splangy that they may actually be 1/4-20. I recently ordered a NOS American-made mirror on eBay (thanks @Archie1962FJ25) that was listed as 5" Vintage NOS Spot Mirror 48 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 Chevrolet Ford Dodge Truck.

Presumably, this NOS mirror would have an American standard thread pitch, so I went out to the shop to compare last night.

Here is the back NOS American mirror from eBay:
IMG_3803.jpg

And here's a side-by-side comparison:
IMG_3801.jpg

I painted the rusty one with some primer to even it out for the photo. You'll notice that the curve profiles are slightly different, but the THREAD PITCH AND SIZE MATCHES!
IMG_3811.jpg

IMG_3813.jpg

My best guess is that my early '64 (5/63 build) came with a single mirror on the left, and it was probably round. First owner had a right side mirror added when the rig was nearly new, as the right mirror arm had all the same paint colors as the left and the rest of the truck. It also came to me with a matched pair of Grote brand rectangular mirrors.

I suspect (but have no way to prove) that the Grotes were installed when the right mirror was added, and probably replaced a small round mirror on the left. I think this because the original owner was not big on aesthetics, only function and cost. He probably felt the small mirror was not big enough and replaced it. Because if it had been OK, he wouldn't have paid for a pair of Grotes, only one.

All conjecture, of course.

As bought:

da7f5eca-8a42-4c8e-a66f-56cb9c1e8611-jpeg.1582102

And now:

img_1358-jpg.1801790
Back in the ‘80s a group of us was pulled over on the way to the Dusy Trail by the Highway Patrol for not running convoy lights.

The officer also told us that any vehicle CAPABLE of towing was required to have a passenger mirror, even if one was not installed at the factory.

I bought my telescoping mirrors from SOR as soon as I got back to LA.

IMO these are arguably the best and super rare mirror arms Toyota has ever offered on early cruisers. They look great and function better than telescopic arms. (Especially with soft doors).

Never saw them in any old literature so may not be correct on FJ25. AFAIK These never officially made their way in US market but who knows Toyota may have offered them on non USA 20 series models.

I am planning to run them in NZ anyways since they provide awesome visibility on RHD spec roads without taking eyes off the windscreen. Mirrors are definitely not correct for 25 but I found them locally for free so put them on. (These mirrors are also way more functional than standard flat glass mirrors)

07236EB1-E9A6-4BB9-AAAC-9F85AF51C488.jpeg
840336EB-AC61-4CD3-8427-1D325A611A12.jpeg
A7FE6AB3-305A-40F2-AA32-9516D0E15FA5.jpeg

1A2CAAF0-BB6D-4F33-AFB3-2D43B755AC31.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, in the continuing round mirror saga, I notice @JohnnyC 's deer etc. pics had these better images of a '65 mirror.
Image1.jpg
1964 week old.JPG

Last edited:
Both mirror head looks different than each other. Great pictures nevertheless. I truly believe they were dealer installed and sourced locally at the time.
Dealer installed, and locally sourced makes sense to me. One way to counterdict the theory would be when/if they were painted body color.

Both mirror head looks different than each other. Great pictures nevertheless. I truly believe they were dealer installed and sourced locally at the time.
I had assumed this was the same vehicle, and same kid, a bit older deer hunting. If so, the mirror changed. From smaller, possibly painted body color, and attached off-center, to larger and attached in the middle. Could be the dealer installed (or OEM mirror) was not desirable and got quickly switched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom