Rosie the Riveter Build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i probably have something stashed away, from 40 and 60 series but I'm away at work for another couple weeks. Sorry dude!

i've used those in a pinch and they work well. I've got a pile of those also if you need a few.
Got the throttle! Thanks to gsb15. I called him today and could hear a drill in the background. When I asked him about it turns out he was hooking up/moding my throttle! Goods friends are few and far between but they are out there. He also got me an exhaust pipe and a vacuume reservoir!

Update! We made it to Utah. Sitting on a McDonald's parking lot stealing wifi. Have only had minor problems so far. Had a electrical connection pull off and lost the starter till we could fix that and lost the rear breaks. Going to tear into that one when we get to Kansas. Oh and our max speed is 50mph at the speedo but we have been timing mile markers and think it is closer to 60. Makes it hard to calculate mileage but I think we're only getting around 13-15mpg. That could be the roof bags acting like a sail but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

We were doing wiring and last minute things down to 2:30am sooo. We cut it close but made it. Had to reprime the fuel this morning but that is a small thing. The raycor acts like a catchment for air.
IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2051.JPG

Looks like fun. I used to carry a small handheld GPS with me so I could get my speed correct those things are spot on.

Makes it hard to calculate mileage but I think we're only getting around 13-15mpg. That could be the roof bags acting like a sail but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Ground based brick, on wheels. Sounds about right for mileage. Starbucks usually has the best traveling wifi in the US.

Ground based brick, on wheels. Sounds about right for mileage. Starbucks usually has the best traveling wifi in the US.

Nice to see it running and on the road!!

At 50-60mph even with all the gear I would think you should be seeing better economy with the 3B. More in the mid 20s mpg (imperial gallon) or low 20s mpg (US gallon) at least, possibly better.

Injection system might need a little love...?

I get around 12.5 - 14L/100km in my bj60 with a rooftent and truck full of gear travelling around 90-100kmh
I would expect better from the 40, little things to improve on!
Safe travels!

Last edited:
I get around 12.5 - 14L/100km in my bj60 with a rooftent and truck full of gear travelling around 50-60kmh
I would expect better from the 40, little things to improve on!
Safe travels!

You mean mph not kmh right? :hmm:

Even in my sprung over truck on 35's I didn't dip below 20 in mpg. Generally in my 3b trucks with a 5speed I'd get more like 25-27.

That's between a couple 42's, and a 70.

27 being my most common number throughout the years. ( imperial ) Most of that in a 42 with an aluminum tub, so pretty light, but still as aerodynamic as your average barn, with a lot of it loaded like the last train to new delhi with sailboards on the roof.

Driving that extra bit faster really hammers your mpg's tho...takes a crapload more energy to go another 10kmh faster on the highway. (scientific unit, the crapload.)

If you want accurate mileage calculation, use google maps for distances between fuel stops.
Divide by Gallons, since you are buying gallons.

Update.

We made the 3000km trip to Kansas. No major problems. We ran into a couple things though. The bolts holding the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold came apart at 4:00 am in the middle of nowhere in the colatado desert. We had to drive with ear protection in and our heads out the window wrapped in blankets because it was -2 and the exhaust was basically dumping into the cab. Eventually came to a town with a NAPA and got what we needed to fix the exhaust and the broken battery cable. The motor vibrated to the point that it broke the connector on the power cable to the starter. I would need to hold the cable in place while Jess started it. It worked fine but is fixed now. Also we lost a bolt on ore transmission mount and both the bolts holding the alternator bracket to the block broke off in the block. I made the mistake of neversiezeing them and one worked loose and that put too much strain on the other so it broke. Then I put the one that worked loose back in but then but broke because it was too much strain and vibration for just the one. Had to drill them out and them walk them backwards. Got them out and replaced with new ones and they are locktited this time. Also in the middle of Wyoming the 6in pivot bolt for the alternator worked loose and came out so I had to make a replacement out of an Osage stick I found. Carved it to fit and hammered it in there with a wedge till we could get to a NAPA. Other than that. Works great. Fixed the breaks. Turns out one of the lines is metric and one is standard. That was a fun discovery.

Jessie locked us out at 12:30 am in colarado. We had to take the door off to get in. The cops made a appearance.
IMG_2168.JPG

The exhaust. Used muffler repair putty as a gasket.

IMG_2183.JPG

This is the electrical connection to the starter that vibrated off
IMG_2184.JPG

Drilling out the alternator bracket bolts.
IMG_2195.JPG

Working on the cruiser in Kansas.
IMG_2200.JPG

Oh to be young. If I did this now, Teri would be on an airplane to somewhere else.
Happy Trails,

Great pictures and story. Glad you guys made it there ok despite the mechanical hiccups. Hope your return trip is a little smoother sailing.

Great pictures and story. Glad you guys made it there ok despite the mechanical hiccups. Hope your return trip is a little smoother sailing.
Haha return trip? We're driving to San Diego next! That is another 1400 miles then two days there then another 1400 up the coast. But I figure we've shaken the kinks out of her.

We made it to California with no breakdowns or problems. Nothing really to report. Except driving through Phoenix Arizona traffic in the high heat without ac almost killed us. Then we got lost in the desert. But it was fun and we got to use the light bar

IMG_2346.JPG

New Mexico
IMG_2341.JPG

Family photo
IMG_2347.JPG

Ruined house in Arizona

IMG_2371.JPG

Painted desert Arizona
IMG_2374.JPG

Update. Ok so we made it home.

I did the math and we drove about 8000km.
Nothing to drastic broke and everything that did we were able to handle at the time. I do have a concern though. I worked out how much fuel we used and how far we went and we averaged 11mi/gallon, or 5km/L or 20L/100km. That should cover everyones units of measure. Could a restriction in airflow make this large of a difference? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Update. Ok so we made it home.

I did the math and we drove about 8000km.
Nothing to drastic broke and everything that did we were able to handle at the time. I do have a concern though. I worked out how much fuel we used and how far we went and we averaged 11mi/gallon, or 5km/L or 20L/100km. That should cover everyones units of measure. Could a restriction in airflow make this large of a difference? Any thoughts?

Glad you guys are back safe and sound.

Did you see black smoke out the back while driving? I've just never heard of a 3B eating so much fuel before. Even when I'm towing my 16' camper trailer with my 2.4 turbo (similar fueling to 3B) I get 16l/100km (9000lb Gross weight truck/camper with huge wind resistance).

There must be something going on here. I'd say, check injection timing, test your injector spray pattern, pump fuel setting, tire pressure, brakes dragging, transmission/transfercase/rearend oil viscosity/quality, etc.

If you pull your injectors, I have a tester here at work. I don't mind helping you test them.

Glad you guys are back safe and sound.

Did you see black smoke out the back while driving? I've just never heard of a 3B eating so much fuel before. Even when I'm towing my 16' camper trailer with my 2.4 turbo (similar fueling to 3B) I get 16l/100km (9000lb Gross weight truck/camper with huge wind resistance).

There must be something going on here. I'd say, check injection timing, test your injector spray pattern, pump fuel setting, tire pressure, brakes dragging, transmission/transfercase/rearend oil viscosity/quality, etc.

If you pull your injectors, I have a tester here at work. I don't mind helping you test them.

No black or white smoke. Tire pressure is good, I kept an eye on that regularly on the drive down. Breaks aren't dragging (I can easily roll it by hand). The fluid in the transmission transfer case and both diffs is all new Redline. Mt90 in the trans/transfer case and shockproof in the diffs.

The developing theory is that the injector pump is having trouble pulling fuel through the raycor and is running lean. That would explain the lack of power but not the massive fuel consumption. It is also a naturally aspirated four cylinder diesel, there isn't going to be a lot of get up and go. Tons of torque yes but not a lot of speed. Also our top speed is about 80kph, down hill, with the wind at our backs.

I would love to test the injectors. I did the timing twice to make 100% sure that it was right as far as timing it to the crank and camshaft. There is a little bit of adjustability in the pump (you can rotate in relation to the motor). It may be off there. There is almost zero smoke when the truck is running, even when it starts cold.

the only thing I can think of would be timing or the injector spray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom