Rosie the Riveter Build. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool. I do like a good 2f improvement kit.

I've done the swap once or twice, I've driven a 2f on and off a trailer but that's as far as it lasted...:lol:

Do you have 3b frame mounts? I have a set here somewhere you could copy or maybe bribe me out of... plus templates I made to locate them on frame..locating them in the shed may be more difficult.

A cooler would be fun if you have some room. gutting a little kooltron for the pelltier and heat sinks would be a dead easy way. I had a grotesquely luxuriant 80 series for a while that had a cooler and ice cube maker in centre console. arriving with cold beer was kinda nice...

Do you still have that 3b mount template?

UPDATE! Ok I'm sorry but it has been an while. I got broke and then I got a job and have been busy, and not in the right area apparently. Thank you to GSB15 for putting up with me having a dismantled Toyota in his hanger. I keep hitting snags.

We got the transfer case off and completely dismantled and as put back together as we can before doing the tranny. Now we are on the tranny. AHHHH I really really want to buy the sst set for this job. Man would it make life easier. As it is we are fighting and messing around trying to bushleague our was through pulling bearings that were only designed to come out with a specific tool! ok I'm don't ranting butyou will see what I mean in a minute.

So first things first

The whole reason that this thing is getting rebuilt in the first place.
2017-03-08 20.21.49-2.jpg

The worlds most bushleague puller.
2017-03-09 19.41.14.jpg

But HEY! It works
2017-03-09 19.42.41.jpg

I don't know how well this is going to work... I included a ruler so you can get the scale.

Basically, one template works for both sides, just mirrored.

It's not autocad laser perfect, but pretty good.

Attachments

• 3btemplate.pdf
    570.6 KB · Views: 93
Update. Got some more work done on the H55F. I ended up taking the case to Bullfrog Transmission to have the last bearing pulled. It was taking too long to build the tooling and I need to get this thing back on the road. So it's completely apart. I was up cleaning things till 12:00 last night but all the gears and shafts are meticulously polished. There was burring on the edges of every gear tooth that I die grinded and polished back to new. I've also deglazed the syncro sleeves and sandblasted and steam cleaned the bell housing, the transmissions case and the adapter to the transfercase.

I also got one of those two tank wheelbarrow style compressors from work that didn't work and someone threw into the scrap bin. I cut everything off of it and welded a new fitting onto it and then we sandblasted it along with the fuel tank, the fan shroud and the front grill.

Right now the attic is a paint booth. We are putting a coat of primer on everything.

This is what the bottom of the oil pan looked like. This was also coating EVERYTHING. It's more like acrylic paint than anything else.
2017-03-13 17.48.20.jpg

This is the output shaft with the syncro sleves before they were cleaned.
2017-03-12 17.07.23.jpg

I don't think oil is suppose to behave in this way....
2017-03-13 17.06.49.jpg

The shift fork assembly after everything is cleaned and happy!
2017-03-13 19.03.29.jpg

Syncro ring after it has been throughly cleaned.
2017-03-13 22.12.00.jpg

I want to do a body swap from a fj40 and put it on a bj42 chassis. Is there a lot of wireing? Is this a huge project?
No. Yes. If you are in Vancouver, go see Steve at EBI and ask questions, look around. You won't need any special tools.
One guy can shift a body on and off by himself. Good luck

I want to do a body swap from a fj40 and put it on a bj42 chassis. Is there a lot of wireing? Is this a huge project?
Not a lot of wiring, just move whole harness over.

Body mounts might be different depending on year of 40 tub. I did a 75 onto an 81.

Wasn't that hard to work around. All depends how fussy you are.

I do the diffs, trans and transfercase every year, maybe 20 to 30 shots of grease in the knuckles...everything works as it should..

This is pretty much all the wiring that I have. It looks like a rats nest because I pulled the loom off of it so that I could solder and heatshrink all of the connections. A lot of mine have the plain crimp on ones and I don't trust those long term. I recommend doing some soldering/liquid electrical tape and heatshrinking while you have it apart. Save yourself a million headaches in the future. You can also get adhesive heatshrink, that stuff its what happens when science and innovation collide at high speed, and skip the liquid eletrical tape completely. Save yourself some mess..

Again this looks like a lot, but when you remember that this services the entire vehicle it is quite manageable.
2017-01-23 17.55.01.jpg

Update. The transmission is back together shifting nicely, on the tailgate anyway, and painted! It only took a week of getting to bed at 1am but we stuck the landing! Now I'm going to go take a nap before soldering wiring till the wee hours of the morning.
The trans all laid out clean and ready to go back together.
2017-03-15 23.18.12.jpg

Transmission back together. Working on the transfer case. I got it completely together, bolts torqued and everything and then realized I forgot to replace the seal on the transmission output shaft to the transfer case. So I tore it apart again replaced the seal, and was very glad I did, then put it together AGAIN. Won't make that mistake twice.
2017-03-18 20.29.56-2.jpg

I broke the retainer slot for the woodruff key in the reverse gear idler shaft when I was putting it in. I welded it up and then turned it on the lathe. Good as new.
2017-03-16 20.01.19.jpg

This is the main input shaft and there are 17 of these rollers. Whatever you do don't loose them. My kit came with replacements but trust me it is just better if you hold onto them.
2017-03-16 21.44.13-1.jpg

All Done, painted and pretty.
2017-03-19 13.30.22-2.jpg

Just thought you guys would like this.

"Spacers" for installing the transfer case adapter and getting the liquid gasket I coated the gaskets in to kick off and make a good seal. The front part of the t-case housing was at home at the time.
2017-03-17 22.16.53.jpg

OEM Toyota liquid gasket. curtsey of a friend who is on here who's handle I don't remember. If your reading this please feel free to shout out.
2017-03-17 21.24.47-1.jpg

Update.

This is what the spark plugs looked like coming out of the 2F. Now I'm no expert but i think that is bad.

2017-03-20 19.35.58.jpg

Getting the shiny newly machined flywheel, clutch and pressure plate on the back of the trans.
2017-03-20 23.22.50.jpg

Everything ready to go together, and then I find out that I seem to have lost the clips that hold the clutch fork to the throwout bearing carriage. They are being express shipped here from Vancouver and I should have them by mid day. Funny, $40 for a $5 set of clips, but I do need them NOW.

2017-03-20 23.35.36.jpg

We finished riveting in the insert into the back corners for those little storage compartments. I think they look good. I kept loosing the doors for them so I decided it would be easier to take the 10min and install them. There is one compartment per side. One is going to hold the compressor and the other is going to hole the heater. The one with the heater will have an air inflow fan.

2017-03-22 20.47.35.jpg
2017-03-22 20.47.51.jpg

I managed to get my hands on a new air cleaner. This one is horizontally mounting with the outlet on the side and the inlet on the "top", right side of the picture. Just what I've always wanted.

2017-03-22 20.09.17.jpg

and I did this, four stitches and a 4:30 am trip to the hospital later...
2017-03-20 22.54.31.jpg

building this. I had to make a puller to pull the pilot bearing out of the back of the crank. I was talking to some guys at work and apparently bread works just as well... Apparently if you force bread into the centre of the bearing with a punch/bolt the same size as the hole the hydraulic pressure forces the bearing out. Cool but I didn't have any bread soooo...
2017-03-20 23.12.38.jpg

Grease works as well!

Yup, grease is what I've used before too. Hydraulic pressure FTW.

I have a pretty good high quality puller set if you want to borrow one. Probably a little late now....

Project is coming along well. Lots of work, but you'll have basically a rebuilt cruiser that you can depend on for many years.

haha
Yup, grease is what I've used before too. Hydraulic pressure FTW.

I have a pretty good high quality puller set if you want to borrow one. Probably a little late now....

Project is coming along well. Lots of work, but you'll have basically a rebuilt cruiser that you can depend on for many years.
ya a little late but thank you for the offer. I'll take you up on that in 20 years when I do it all again. Hopefully by then i have my own shop and can just buy a puller set...

Last nights update.

Last bolt on putting the two together.
2017-03-23 20.14.57.jpg

Soldering the connecter back onto my fuel lever sensor.
2017-03-23 22.52.01.jpg

Fuel tank got a facelift. The rag is pulling the last of the old gasoline out of the tank so that I can put diesel in it. Were not making a molotov cocktail, this time.
2017-03-23 23.08.27-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom