Rosie the Riveter Build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SUB-PLOT. (not related to the current problem)

My wife was poking around the engine compartment today when she smelt hot coolant. Turns out the coolant wasn't the cruiser but she sent me a pic of a random line coming out of the side of the injector pump. She asked me what it was and if it should be connected to anything. I had no idea what it was, where it went, or what it did. So I asked MUD and this came up.

1st oil drain in 30 years!

Really interesting . Turns out there is a drain plug in the side of the pump to drain oil out that sneaks past the seals and finds it's was into the pump. Apparently it should be done quasi regularly to prevent oil from building up and coming in contact with the leather diaphragm.

haha ya we got it! GSB15 and I went for a drive and he drove just for the fun of it and as soon as we got moving he said "This is in low range" I knew the transfer case was stuck but I thought it was stuck in high because I figured there was now way it would do 80 in low. That and I had nothing to compare it to having never driven that driveline, and everyone said it was going to be slow. Now I'm making excuses for my mistake. But it turns out it was in low gear.
We ended up taking the transmission clean out of the truck and working on it on the ground. Before I took the transfer case off I tried shifting by grabbing onto the linkage where it clamps onto the post coming out of the T-case. It worked fine. I noticed that it dropped down about 1/8 of an inch when I let go of it though and I tried it there and it wouldn't shift.
GSB15 was in the middle of pulling a 3b and a h55f out of a truck and like usual I was using his shop He said if I helped him lift his, on a engine crane, over the bumper I could take a look and see if there was a spacer there. There was and I made one up and put it back in the cruiser. Now it goes like a little rocket!

haha ya we got it! GSB15 and I went for a drive and he drove just for the fun of it and as soon as we got moving he said "This is in low range" I knew the transfer case was stuck but I thought it was stuck in high because I figured there was now way it would do 80 in low. That and I had nothing to compare it to having never driven that driveline, and everyone said it was going to be slow. Now I'm making excuses for my mistake. But it turns out it was in low gear.
We ended up taking the transmission clean out of the truck and working on it on the ground. Before I took the transfer case off I tried shifting by grabbing onto the linkage where it clamps onto the post coming out of the T-case. It worked fine. I noticed that it dropped down about 1/8 of an inch when I let go of it though and I tried it there and it wouldn't shift.
GSB15 was in the middle of pulling a 3b and a h55f out of a truck and like usual I was using his shop He said if I helped him lift his, on a engine crane, over the bumper I could take a look and see if there was a spacer there. There was and I made one up and put it back in the cruiser. Now it goes like a little rocket!

I never would have guessed that! Glad you figured it out. Let us know what kind of fuel economy you get now. :) Must be much nicer on the highway now, haha.

That happened to me with a transmission transfercase from GS Cruiser Parts...some one forgot the shim and it would not shift out of 4 low, probably easy to miss if you are rebuilding the tcase.

That happened to me with a transmission transfercase from GS Cruiser Parts...some one forgot the shim and it would not shift out of 4 low, probably easy to miss if you are rebuilding the tcase.
I was really happy that it was that easy of a fix. I totally missed it when I put the thing together because when I was testing it it was on the floor and I was lifting up on the linkage. Man o man does it ever move now. I cant wait to turbo it now... hehehe.

Seen your cruiser doing at least 80 past Thetis lake this morning! Looking good.
Oh ya! Rocket sled on wheels!

So now that it is so fast something else decided to act up. I think it may be the switch in the steering column but I only have headlights when I hold the high low selector to "flash". When it's in the constant normal and the constant high position there are no headlights but if I pull it all the way towards me, like I'm flashing my high beams at someone, then they come on. I have full power at the pull switch in the dash and all of the running lights and turn signals and brake lights all work fine.
Any thoughts before I start pulling things apart?

IMG_1948.jpg

Update. Ok so we made it home.

I did the math and we drove about 8000km.
Nothing to drastic broke and everything that did we were able to handle at the time. I do have a concern though. I worked out how much fuel we used and how far we went and we averaged 11mi/gallon, or 5km/L or 20L/100km. That should cover everyones units of measure. Could a restriction in airflow make this large of a difference? Any thoughts?

Just catching up on this thread... glad the trip went well.

Did you ever figure out the economy? I get about 20 l/100km around Vic, and have seen 12 l/100km in my 9500 lb rig that's 8.5' tall... so wind drag can't really explain your economy. A 3.4 should be able to do better that a 7.3 in a bigger and heavier rig.

^ After a sufficient break in period of the low range gearset was achieved and some expert advice from Graham was actioned.... mileage and speed were dramatically improved. Gotta catch up a little more carefully.... you might miss the good parts. :lol:

OK. It's been a while but I'm back. Since last time we have made some good progress.
- Fixed the headlights. Turns out one of the spade connectors on the switch had wiggled off just enough to shoot us in the foot
- She has been painted. (In the rain, at midnight)
- I wired the winch in and replaced the controller and female plug.
- We went to do rear brakes and ended up having to swap the entire rear axle.
- We replaced all the tie rod ends and replaced the steering stabilizer and rebuilt the cross over steering pivot
- We got 4x4 working and decided to scrap the fridge in the back because what good is a fridge under your bed when you are camping...

IMG_0729.jpg
IMG_0733.jpg
IMG_0736.jpg
IMG_0739.jpg

Last edited:
We went to replace the rear brakes and Jess pulls the wheel off and said "I don't think the brakes should look like this". It turns out the wheel seal was leaking and the brakes were greasy. So we got a new wheel seal but in order to do the wheel seal you need to take the diff cover off and pull the idler shaft out of the spider gears (below). So that you can take the C clips off of the axles and then pull the axles out. Well I spent about two hours trying to get this little sucker out and we eventually had to swap in an axle out of a 70 series that we had waiting in the wings. The good news is that I took the old 3rd member and had the ARB Air locker, we also had waiting, installed and then swapped that into the 70 series axle that was now installed on our 40 series cruiser... so now we just need to hook up the compressor and we have our rear locker.

My guess was that at some time someone ran this diff without oil. I'm amazed that this thing ran as well as it did. I had no idea that this little bomb was in there.

IMG_4089.jpg

This was the idler shaft in our diff.
IMG_3796.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

This pivot was loose and responsible for 90% of the movement in our steering.
IMG_3790.jpg

Bear hunting test run.
IMG_4063.jpg

Last edited:
We also rigged the cruiser up to be flat towed behind the truck. It worked really well unless we made too sharp of a turn. If we did that the wheels would cam over all the way and Jess would need to get out and steer it around the corner. Usually pulling into a gas station. I think the camber is out but I have a rebuild kit, from gsb15, that I'm going to do for the front knuckles. I got the tow bar from work. There was one and a pintle hitch sitting in the back for the last 5 years that my boss said I could have.
IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_4091.jpg

I think that is all for now...

Ok. been a while but time for an update, since I'm snowed in anyway. Insulated the underside of the tent floor. Rattles a lot less now and isn't nearly as loud. I also fabricated new attachment points for the tent to the inside of the cruiser. This way we don't need to tie it to the roll cage any more. Installed the dash box I bought off of Specter off road a year ago and has been sitting int he spare room. I was surprised at how well it works. I was unimpressed when I got it but it works really well installed and fits nicely. I also welded up a couple of holes that had been drilled in the tub before I got it. The last owner had, instead of using the the mounts for the fuel tank, just drilled through the floor and bolted it to the inside of the cab. I didn't like that so I mounted it properly when I reinstalled it. I finally got around to welding up the holes.

Last edited:
The tent mounts. Marked for the holes to be drilled for studs.

Holes drilled. Ready for studs.

This little gem is a programable relay control. So I can set the time and hit the glow plug button and it will hold them on for whatever time I like. No more holding the dash button down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom