Rosie the Riveter Build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started getting the motor back together. Was going great until I broke two bolts off in the hole. Turns out 13foot lbs was too much for the old bolts! after the second one I called it a night.
2016-12-17 20.05.34.jpg

This is the setup for the fridge. i'm testing it in the living room rather than installing it and then cursing and screaming and pulling out my hair. With a couple of modifications I think I can get it to be either a fridge or freezer.
2016-12-16 11.24.13.jpg

might want to watch out with mounts between cage and body of the truck. Since the body is mounted with soft mounts it can flex a bit different from the truck and so you might consider some kind of poly mount between the cage/body so that you don't just get stress cracks on the body...

good point
might want to watch out with mounts between cage and body of the truck. Since the body is mounted with soft mounts it can flex a bit different from the truck and so you might consider some kind of poly mount between the cage/body so that you don't just get stress cracks on the body...[/QUOT
good point

Last edited:
We upgraded the suspension with a full OME "heavy" kit. Full greasable pins all around, heavier leafs and larger 35mm bushings. That meant that we needed to fab new spring and shackle mounts to accommodate the larger, OD and length, bushings but Keith his lathe and lift made that a much easier job. Also mounted the tires on the rims with a boltless beadlock system inside and got them all balanced. The front drive shaft slip joint was seized so we pulled that out, hammered on it in a vice with a hammer and brass drift till it came apart then cleaned it up, covered it in neverseize and put it back in then greased the heck out of it. The rear driver side spring hanger wasn't welded on any more. That was a fun surprise. It was being held on by a very warn old 10mm bolt. Again, no wonder it rattled driving down the road. got that all cleaned up and welded back on.

This is what we found when we took out the old shackles and bushings. No wonder it rattled and banged down the road.
2016-12-28 09.40.01.jpg

The new stuff, minus the springs
2016-12-28 11.39.38.jpg

Making the front and rear spring shackle mounts.
2016-12-28 16.56.08.jpg

Old shackle hanger and the new tube beside. The new bushings are much beefier. oohrah
2016-12-28 16.56.39.jpg
2016-12-29 15.09.24.jpg

UPDATE!

Alright so the almighty forced my hand and I'm now into an engine swap. Here are some pictures of what I got done today.

- Got all of the front fenders and grill removed. Only broke 5 of the 8 bolts holding the fenders to the frame.
- Rad Remove
- Driveshafts removed
- Battery and electrical to the engine removed and labelled, for posterity sake.
- All hosing removed and labelled
- Engin and transmission unbolted and removed.
- Shop cleaned.
Tomorrow I start trying ti figure out how to shoehorn the new set in. And I need to rebuild the h55f first. So if anyone has experience with that the last transmission I rebuilt was a Mack18spd and that was 8 years ago, and didn't have syncros.

She goes under the knife.
2017-01-21 12.34.33.jpg

Tearing the heart out.
2017-01-21 15.45.26.jpg

I may or may not have spilled a little on the floor...oops
2017-01-21 15.48.56.jpg

I kinda feel bad leaving her overnight like this.
2017-01-21 15.49.03.jpg

Going fo a rat rod kinda look.
2017-01-21 18.36.13.jpg

Hey John, looks great really moving along.. Kevin Awl Tech builds engine mounts for the 3B, he is in alberta and on this forum..

Awl_TEQ

Interesting side note.

Turns out the tub was replaces with an aluminium one. I found that when I tried to tack weld something to it and it didn't work. Then I got thinking about the complete lack of rust on it and took a closer look. That was a nice surprise.

Interesting side note.

Turns out the tub was replaces with an aluminium one. I found that when I tried to tack weld something to it and it didn't work. Then I got thinking about the complete lack of rust on it and took a closer look. That was a nice surprise.

That's awesome! Good score.

Keep up the good work on that thing! Can't wait to see it with a 3B in there. :cheers:

Interesting side note.

And you're just noticing this now? :lol:

Jeebus dude. Thought I drank a lot while working on my cruisers. ...:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom