Roof rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The picture is of my roof rack where it attaches to the LC. My question is there an easy fix? Can I knock off the loose stuff and then primer it? Paint and body is definitely not my thing.

20200124_124114.jpg

Maybe, pull the rack off and check it out. Sand away all the paint surrounding it and you'll be able to tell how bad it is

Yes, use Corroseal (Amazon) its a rust converter, but you may need to peel back the headline if the rust is under the roof. Rust can only happen if metal is exposed ot air. Using the Corroseal and then painting it will stop the runt but you have to treat all rust.

Consider sanding and priming the entire roof, then do a white Monstaliner on the roof to keep it cool.

Delete the roof rack entirely. Use screws with EPDM washers to seal the holes.

I'm just going to remove the luggage rack and get rid of it. Is the stock rack worth anything. I hate to throw put a part that some one may need.

Ok. I could get all but two screws out. I'm thinking of drilling the tops off the screws then removing the rack. My thought is that I can spray the remaining screws with penetrating lube. Then I can try to remove them. Do most people take off the slide protection rails also?

There have been a lot of posts on this. A lot of people take everything off, including the wind deflector thing on the lift gate.

I'm in the process of taking my rack off. All the bolts were spinning in the nutserts, so I just sawzalled through the rack and then through the bolt and threw everything in the dumpster. One day, I'll weld up the holes but for now I'm going to use wellnuts to plug the holes.

I'm leaving the center rails for now

Just got done with this.

The previous owner had a home made 80lb steel rack that was far too heavy for the factory rack.

After reading a lot of threads seemed like the best option with the amount of rust I had was to cut it out, weld, and paint. Not the cheapest option unless you do the work yourself but I plan on keeping the truck forever so definitely worth it to me.

64F0F419-FD63-47DF-80D0-A9846A266CFE.jpeg
E19FA3D8-D8EF-45BD-B682-E3ABD7DB8898.jpeg

Just got done with this.

The previous owner had a home made 80lb steel rack that was far too heavy for the factory rack.

After reading a lot of threads seemed like the best option with the amount of rust I had was to cut it out, weld, and paint. Not the cheapest option unless you do the work yourself but I plan on keeping the truck forever so definitely worth it to me.

View attachment 2192644View attachment 2192648
Sorry for your troubles - wish they made more of these w/o the roof rack, wind deflector and sunroof. Would have made them age a bit more trouble free. Had a low mileage poverty pack 91 w/o any of the three that I should have never sold.

Chatt100 did you do the work yourself? If you had someone do it how much was it?

I do not know how to weld and even if I did don't have the time with 2 small kids. I had a body shop do it and it cost $1400. That includes pulling the headliner, welding, and complete roof repaint.

Like @rex in bama mentioned the sunroof's are also problematic. After the headliner was out we found that mine was leaking and they couldn't get it to seal with all the different tricks tried on other threads. So I had them replace that too and that's included in the price (I supplied the sunroof glass that I bought from camelbak toyota think it was ~$500)

I think it looks cleaner without the luggage rails but there wasn't any rust under there and I was already in pretty deep and itching to get it back so I just had them leave those.

I was very happy with the work that they did but it took a long time because of the sunroof issue and then body shops make so much more money on insurance work that my job kept getting pushed back.

You might have better luck in Southern California since there are probably a lot more shops to pick from but I could only find one shop in my town that was even willing to do it (well one reputable shop)

Ok so finally got to this project thanks to the Covid19. As it wasn't bad enough being home I found this under the rack foot. Not sure how I want to go about it. Thought about maybe doing the roof in rinoliner. Any thoughts?

20200401_114126.jpg

You can look up a posting from me in August or so of 2016, mine looked very similar.

I pulled the headliner and sunroof, sanded over the holes down to bare metal, made a fiberglass patch that I applied on the inside, filled in the low spots on the outside with bondo, sanded that down, primer and then monsterlined in dark green over all of that, actually the enire roof to make it all match. The monsterliner green is a lighter green, certainly not a match for my dark emerald green.

I can send pictures via PM if you cannot find ?

Regards, Jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom