Joined the Factory Roof Rack Rust Gang (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read several threads over the years (I found this one very informative and helpful: Roof Rack Delete - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/roof-rack-delete.1045183/page-2) about rust under the factory roof rack and always said: "Mine can't have rust, it's lived in the PNW all it's life or Even if there is some rust it shouldn't be that bad". well, I was wrong. I am picking up a roof rack this weekend and needed to remove the factory rack so yesterday at lunch I went out and started to remove the factory rack and low and behold what I thought would be a 20 minute job (tested the screws at home the night before and all turned) turned into a job that last the course of 1.5 hrs (necessitated by having to take trips to the hardware store and finding a ride to and from said store).

I have a huge project in the near future but in the interim I used a commercial flashing sealing tape till I can either get a dry workspace or find a body shop to take on the work. Attached are pictures of what was under me rack. :frown:

As you can see from the photos, the drivers side was by far the worst, turns out the rear screw turned because the nutsert was rusted out. I am also wondering if this was were I was seeing some water that I had previously attributed to the sunroof pan overflowing due to clogged or partially clogged drains.

At this point I think I am going to strip down the whole roof do the repairs and paint. I have been entertaining the idea of doing a white top (down to the window sill) and leaving the stock red on the lower section. I will play with this more as I get further into the repair.

thumbnail_IMG_1424.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1425.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1426.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1427.jpg

I've done this repair for a customer hooe you have a 95 and up. Headliner sucks to remove. I drilled bigger holes and welded sheet metal circles back in.

This is why I lol at folks who proclaim their 80 is “rust free”.

You’d think they all are based on the classifieds or new build threads here.

I've done this repair for a customer hooe you have a 95 and up. Headliner sucks to remove. I drilled bigger holes and welded sheet metal circles back in.
1994 so I know it will be a pain in the arse to drop the headliner, one of the reasons I need to find a dry space and time. I plan to do most of the prep work but I am not a painter and do not fool myself into thinking I am so that will have to be professionally done.

Yep 1994 headliner pain in the ass front windshield cargo windows sunroof and all door seals must be removed.

Removing the OEM rack and finding rust convinced me to paint my roof white. It's really easy to touch up if I ever need to fix it.

1697865038319.png

1994 so I know it will be a pain in the arse to drop the headliner

Not just a pain in the ass, it's impossible to do without pulling the windshield and rear sliding windows. I recently ripped mine out because I wanted to get rid of the sunroof, my headliner was already in poor condition, and I just wanted it out. I still tried to minimize damage just to see how it went. You *will* tear it when you pull it out from the windows where it wraps around the body.

The best route is to replace the headliner with the '95+ style.

I welded my rack holes with the headliner in place, but it might not work if you need to do entire patch panels:

@gummycarbs I love your disclaimer in the attached thread.

I am still trying to weigh my option here. I talked with a guy and he said he may be able to do a lap seal and use panel adhesive like the newer cars bond panels with. If this doesn't become an option, I guess I will be pulling glass and most likely sourcing a 95+ headliner. If this is the case I will have to wait till summer as I do not have dry storage and it is the rainy months.

I feel the exterior flashing tape I currently have covering will last for the interim not to mention, I have already committed to an LS swap over the winter.

dang that is bad, glad I got mine cleaned up before it got rusty + got the roof bolts from wits end before they blew up!

I had purchased bolts and washers, got locally and saved money over the Wit's End kit, for after the rack removal but as the pictures show this was no longer an option for me. :(

I guess I will be pulling glass and most likely sourcing a 95+ headliner.

You can get the headliner out without pulling the glass, you just can't do so without tearing it. You'll may end up with a few remnants under the window seals, but it shouldn't matter.

If you're going to replace the headliner with a '95+, then rip away and get that thing out. Better get a line on all the replacement parts first, though. I think you need different A and B pillar covers, along with front seatbelt mounts. Maybe different door seals, too (the trim-lok with a rubber seal glued to it that covers the first and second row door openings).

If it's like the headliner in my 80 with cloth supported by wires the cloth extends down the a-pillars. My 80's roof has lots of surface rust now.

Some May Argue but Wire Wheel till clean then JB weld makes a Bomb Proof Patch.
You can sand it smooth and move on.
I always wanted to Monster Line my Roof White (in a Nod to it's Ancestory) but the Clear Coat is all but gone now. Should have waxed it Yearly.
My Hood Extra Pretty thou since I had it Repainted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom