Too Much Rust to Purchase? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there! I found a '97 that looked decent on the exterior and interior, but looks a little troublesome underneath. Should I pass? Thanks!

420191738_6736240923146392_4690611679881219221_n.jpg

420376291_370259435754238_6242864762811313505_n.jpg

420871227_1828622434240139_309197923505475156_n.jpg

Rust doesn't look hateful to me, but the mix/match and half flat tires, ghetto exhaust, etc. is what would make me take pause on the maintenance by this owner...

If the price is right, that amount of rust wouldn't scare me away for what I can see in these pics.

Its not crusty/flaking rust really. Not light surface rust either.

If the rest of the vehicle is in good shape.....I wouldn't 'pass' on it from what I can see. IF it also has body rust that would be a deal breaker for me....or if the price were too high.

Should have added the engine was rebuilt 20k miles ago, and it has a lot of accessories that I would want to put on any way (front and rear bumper, roof rack, etc.).

Sounds like you need to move on it. 👍

It's all relative, if you have to ask then it's too much rust.
But then again I'm a spoiled West coaster:cool:
1707496651761.png
1707496779536.png

Bottom side of a west coast rig

Check the body carefully, behind the running boards, inside the quarter panel cavities, bottoms of the fenders, rear rocker panels, rear hatch, wheel wells, around the windshield "frame" area, in the engine bay, inner fenders, ---.

Agree, some of the "rust" looks like mud.

Swivel balls look dry as a chip, get ready for a front axle service.

Everything is relative, at $5000-8000, buy it immediately, at $15,000+ maybe too high?? If the engine was a complete rebuild that's a big plus if done right. Body and interior condition are just as important as the rest of it.

Show us some more photos. If you want it, consider putting something down (refundable) to hold it while you check it out before someone grabs it out from under you.

How many miles on it and what is the seller asking???

Need more photos, sounds a high unless maybe the body and interior are very good (no peeling clear coat, no big tears or stains on the interior, seats and steering wheel leather good or already replaced, ---). IMHO.

If you need to ask these two questions, then the answer is YES.

No judgement. Simple fact is, rust that is significant enough for you to ask about us enough to mean you will fight every bolt and nut you touch
^^^^ this

Doesn't look all that bad to me. If the price is right, I would grab it. You can always sell it if you decide different.

JMO 22k is to much for that rig

22k? yeah…. too much. Maybe half that.

I still think that's mostly mud, but... $22k seems steep to me.

Put it this way, the kind of guy who has a 25 year old vehicle that's worth $22k would have pressure washed the mud away himself before he put it on the market. We haven't seen the rest of it, but based on that it's probably not spotless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom