Roof Racks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, I really want one!

Sweet rack but I would have to remove also every time I put it away, garage not tall enough!

Diamond Rax Rack

All,

Just as another data point in this discussion, I can post pictures (as soon as I'm back in front of the vehicle after the holidays) of my Diamond Rax rain gutter rack that I finally managed to mount on the Troopy.

Also used the "triple dog" rain gutter supports to spread the load and reduce the likelihood of deforming the rain gutter.

Will post pictures as soon as I have them. However, to the recent bump on this post, it was NOT less than $250 (not sure how you'd get a well-built rack for remotely close to that).

Evan

no rack new worth a s*** is gonna be close to 250......spend the $$$ or go grab three hamburger grills and some 2x4 ya cheap bastad !!

nice rack Gobi....show me a video of how easy it is to remove the hardtop and i'll buy three from you right now

88lbs seems light for what it is. My 4'x4'ish rack that I built to mount from the windshield frame to the stock roll bar weighs +/- 70lbs, and it's made of 1/16" wall 3/4" box steel. I'd not worry about the weight of the rack that high... The load would be the bigger concern, although a workable one (on a 4700 lb truck).

The thing I don't like about the design is the extra width it adds, I'd build it so it wasn't wider than the truck... Been down many trails that'd rip it off the truck... :D

Weber,

It is NOT thin walled tubing and I am sure the weight is pretty decent.

The last rack I had from Gobi could take a serious beating. Long ugly story, but I totaled the H2 in a head on collision and the rack warped a bit from the impact, but sustained little to no damage at all. And that was the smaller (and I think?? thinner tubbed) and lower profile Stealth rack.

I will ask jetranger to post the pix of the Stealth rack since he is a LOT smarter than I and figured out how to extract them from the PDF file.

I sent an email to Gobi asking them the weight of the two racks and will post their answer when I hear back.

Here are the specs for the FJ cruiser Stealth rack, which I would think be fairly similar:

Weight = 88#'s
Usable Cargo Space = 19.65 sq ft
Frame = 16 guage 1.0" Welded tubular steel
http://www.gobiracks.com/specs.htm

Missed that 88 was for the FJ Cruiser rack... 40 one would likely weigh a bit more.

Burnttoast with your mad skills you should be making these!

yep...your right, but not for 250.....i plan on one that will bolt to my roll cage with the top off and a full bikini, this spring...

$1550 shipped

Hello Jetranger, I really like the Gobi Rack but when I go to the website, I cannot see the product or any price list. What website you using to price the rack and accessories..?? The $1,550 shipped you stated is there someone to talk to there to ensure that is the right price...??

Their website leaves a lot to be desired for sure... They show installation pdf's etc, but no images of anything... Maybe I was on the wrong Gobi site..? Can you help me out please! Love the product for sure... :bounce::bounce2:

Got this reply from Gobi

I apologize for taking so long to respond to your e-mail. Yes we do have a Gobi FJ-40 Land Cruiser roof rack it was just recently added to our line. We have not added it to our currently web site due to our new web site coming on line soon. Per your request I have attached some images of the Gobi Ranger and Stealth FJ40 roof rack. The rack installs in approximately 90 minutes without drilling and can be used with and without a soft top.

The GOBI Jeep JK Stealth or Ranger Rack is $1,495.00. This includes the entire rack system, a FREE GOBI rear ladder with the purchase of the GOBI Rack..

Thank you for your interest in Gobi Racks. We look forward to your order. Please call us direct to place your order. Our Current lead time is 4-6 weeks.

Thank you,
Sandra Martinez
Intelligent Designs 2000 Corporation
Home of GOBI USA
14509 E 33rd Place
Unit E
Aurora, CO 80011
Office: 720/479-9372
Cell: 303/912-8681
Fax: 303/200-0495
E-mail sandra@gobiracks.com

Here are a few more... while it is cool the rack tips backwards, I think it would be ridiculously difficult to remove the hard top in one piece with the rack still on.

This. I assume they modified a jeep design, where the tops aren't nearly so hard to wrestle around. It looks to me like it would be a much better design to have it tilt forward and suspend or rest on some kind of pad on the hood.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom