Roof Rack Ladder-MacGyver version (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a Front Runner roof rack last week and already did the install. I'm very happy with the purchase. The rack's modularity is very impressive. The only complaint I have is that the company doesn't make a proprietary ladder for the 40 series roof rack, which kinda sucks because most major roof rack makers do. Of course, most roof rack companies offer step-up ladders as an option but they can cost as much as $350. Ouchy mama..!

So to solve my dilemma I'm going to MacGyver a truck bed ladder sold by harbor freight. The HF ladder has a capacity of 300Lbs and at only $39, it's worth the gamble trying to fit it to the rack.

I bought it yesterday and did a quick test install. The ladder's bottom rung fits perfect between the license plate holder on the ambulance door. I just need to fabricate a better roof mount. I'll need to attach two spacers from the ladder to the door to create enough foot room. This might turn out good...,...or not.

Here's a photo of the ladder loosely bolted on the rack with it's factory supplied hardware.

Last edited:
Looks pretty great. If it turns out well I might have to steal your idea. What's your plan for being able to open the door?

Last edited:
Looks pretty great. If it turns out well i might jave to steal your idea. What's your plan for being able to open the door?
The ladder is attached to its mount so it can be swung up and away from the door. It can actually be swung all the way onto the top of the rack where it can be secured.

The issue is that the mount has two pivot points so the ladder doesn’t have a fixed platform for it to support weight.

Doing away with the mount and attaching the ladder to a couple of pieces of angle iron secured to the rack will solve the issue.

Working on my theory this week end. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom