Builds Roody’s 2018 Lexus GX460 Build, Adventure, and Off the Road Again Podcast (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All-in-all, a very productive and satisfying round of upgrades to the GX. It solidified me keeping it around, if not for another few years then for much longer. As much as a pickup would suit some aspects of my life better, I just have so much time/energy/emotion into this GX already that it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever to let go. Plus, it suits my driving use case well and and off-roading it is a hoot. It really does scratch that "Land Cruiser taste on a used 4Runner budget" itch. Love this truck.

Here's a few bonus pictures:

[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
With all the wheels and tires you stuffed in your rig, not sure if a Taco or similar would have done much better! so keeping it absolutely makes sense! 👍
Regarding the BFG's, I've been a fanboy since the mid-1990's. I'm currently running the 315/70R17's and want to go back to the 285/60R17's which are a wee bit shorter and narrower. But I like those BFG's 34's you put on!
I'll have to wait and see after these wear down more.

With all the wheels and tires you stuffed in your rig, not sure if a Taco or similar would have done much better! so keeping it absolutely makes sense! 👍
Regarding the BFG's, I've been a fanboy since the mid-1990's. I'm currently running the 315/70R17's and want to go back to the 285/60R17's which are a wee bit shorter and narrower. But I like those BFG's 34's you put on!
I'll have to wait and see after these wear down more.
KO3s should be out (really, fully out... not just 2 sizes) by the time you're ready for a new set!

KO3s should be out (really, fully out... not just 2 sizes) by the time you're ready for a new set!
Error on my previous post, I meant 285/80R17's, not 60 series.

I think you mean 285/70r17. They don't make a 285/80. Unless you want the tall and super skinny 255/80r17
My bad... (again)
But I like pizza cutters. Give me a tall skinny tire any day, albeit those 285/75R17's are not all that skinny.
Going with the 255/80R17 would be a little too small diameter for me. Also, I'm surprised it doesn't get that good of a rating from Discount Tire compared to the one I posted above.

Recent press cars (with links to reviews)-- good start to 2024!

2024 Toyota Prius Prime XSE Premium
IMG_9024.png

2024 Nissan Frontier Hardbody Edition
IMG_9276-scaled.jpg

2024 Subaru WRX TR
Photo Credit: Ross Ballot

2024 BMW X5 M Competition
IMG_9602-2-scaled.jpg

Recent press cars (with links to reviews)-- good start to 2024!
IMG_9276-scaled.jpg
OH MY GOSH!!! Did you just post a Nissan truck on this forum???

Home Alone – 30 cool facts on its 30th ... :rofl:

OH MY GOSH!!! Did you just post a Nissan truck on this forum???

View attachment 3610135 :rofl:

Hahahahahaha how dare I
I actually like the look of the Frontier. I had a 2013 with OME suspension, ARB bumper, and a Four Wheel Camper. Truck was a beast.
They do look great, especially built 2nd gens (like yours sounds to have been). Always been a sucker for the XTerra, too.

Hahahahahaha how dare I

They do look great, especially built 2nd gens (like yours sounds to have been). Always been a sucker for the XTerra, too.
Ahhh, The Xterra. A true body on frame off roader.
Just don't know what in the world Nissan is thinking. First they citi-fy a great off roader, the Pathfinder from a body on frame contender to the 4Runner to this wimpy unibody, over bloated soccer Mom daily driver they have today. Plus it had a really cool name, Pathfinder!
Then they have this great Xterra, and then killed that after 16 years and now they don't have a decent mid-SUV worth anything.
Guess they couldn't keep up with Toyota's 4Runner?

Ahhh, The Xterra. A true body on frame off roader.
Just don't know what in the world Nissan is thinking. First they citi-fy a great off roader, the Pathfinder from a body on frame contender to the 4Runner to this wimpy unibody, over bloated soccer Mom daily driver they have today. Plus it had a really cool name, Pathfinder!
Then they have this great Xterra, and then killed that after 16 years and now they don't have a decent mid-SUV worth anything.
Guess they couldn't keep up with Toyota's 4Runner?
I was cross-shopping used XTerras at the same time as used GXs. At that point, I was looking for more of a legit beater for hauling bikes/canoes, relative to a primary vehicle (which my GX turned into - accidently). Gotta say I'm pretty darn happy I ended up in a GX.

The main reason I was interested in the XTerra was the OEM rear locker and 6MT availability. They were around the same price. After having owned a GX there is no way I could get in a plasticky Nissan with sun-faded exterior body cladding and gummy interior switchgear :).

Reactions: r2m
Oh yes the XTerras were awesome. Wife had the last year they made them(2015). Solid platform. We were a Nissan family turned Toyota 😆

View attachment 3610273

View attachment 3610278

View attachment 3610293
You're probably not the only Nissan-turned-Toyota family. The death of the XTerra inevitably meant people ended up 4Runners, Wranglers, etc. They were solid trucks but not the big-mile reliability workhorses that the comparable Toyotas are. Crazy that the XTerra went out of production almost 10 years ago...

You're probably not the only Nissan-turned-Toyota family. The death of the XTerra inevitably meant people ended up 4Runners, Wranglers, etc. They were solid trucks but not the big-mile reliability workhorses that the comparable Toyotas are. Crazy that the XTerra went out of production almost 10 years ago...
Wow, I didn't even realize that. We bought the Xterra new before we had our firstborn. Time flies.

Was a Nissan fanboy in my early years. My very first "new" vehicle, just out of high school was a bright red Datsun short bed pickup.
After getting married, it was a Hardbody 4x4 extra cab.
After our daughter came along, both our vehicles were 2+2 seating, the extra cab Nissan and a 944 Porsche. Had to capitulate, trade in the truck for a Toyota Previa (all-wheel drive!) mini van. The rest is (Toyota) history.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom