Builds "Ronin"--FJ45 Build By Mad4wd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Larry,

Saw Woody this am and he told me about your build. Simply Awesome.

The question was asked earlier - but I did not see an answer - How do you keep the steel rust free? Last time I was there - Ohio was not very dry...

Thanks for the thread!

any updates on the rig? how's the new shop working out?

i need a fix.........:beer:

any updates on the rig? how's the new shop working out?

i need a fix.........:beer:

yah seriously. i forgot about this build, but thanks for resurrecting it. Awesome job!!!!

Does anyone know this guy? Maybe someone should check on him.

Does anyone know this guy? Maybe someone should check on him.

yeah, a lot of people in the rock crawling scene know lar. he's trying to run a successful business, work as a tech editor, be happily married and have a life aside from all that. most of that is just an educated guess but i bet it's pretty close to what's going on. if you check the thread he did mention that he had to put the project on the back-burner for a while.......

Hey MAD4WD, you built that rear end for PEAK EMPIRE, peakempire.com, thats my club. I loved your rear axle, it took a beating on the Baja. I never put the two together, i will have to call Ted. Yall do hands down the best work. I have been working on my Cruiser for some time now. I will have to call yall up and say hello.

some pics of the peak empire race Jeep:

here are few of my Cruiser:

fj40-2473.jpg

fj40-2476.jpg

fj40-2479.jpg

fj40-2482.jpg

fj40-2505.jpg

fj40-2514.jpg

fj40-2515.jpg

fj40-2521.jpg

fj40-2522.jpg

what do you think?

I will be air brushing all the pics of my cruiser now before i post them after seeing this!!!!
Can someone phone the discovery channel Larry is not at work.

Ok guys...I am back to working on my 45 project:D. I have been busting my hump to try and keep everything moving forward with the shop and crap. For awhile I could not justify spending the cash on any parts when i had stuff to pay for here. I have aquired a few things for it...mostly thru trading lol.

Lar

Blowing the dust off of her:grinpimp:
Ronin 003.jpg
Ronin 004.jpg

New 40" MTR's... Lots of people around here work for Goodyear so got to trade for some steering parts.

This machine stuff here has beeen keeping us pretty busy along with us making a whole line of UTV parts which has been doing pretty well for us.

Lar

I appreciate the phone calls and emails making sure I am still breathing..lol. I was talking to woody the other day and it was feeling like a contest between us who would die with the most unfinished s*** in their garage...that kinda got me outa my funk ive been in lately. The more i watched the news, the more i wanted to just kill myself it seemed (figure of speech)...gawd that s*** was depressing..So i said fawk it...and here we go again:D
Ronin 005.jpg
Ronin 002.jpg

New 40" MTR's... Lots of people around here work for Goodyear so got to trade for some steering parts.

This machine stuff here has beeen keeping us pretty busy along with us making a whole line of UTV parts which has been doing pretty well for us.

Lar

I appreciate the phone calls and emails making sure I am still breathing..lol. I was talking to woody the other day and it was feeling like a contest between us who would die with the most unfinished s*** in their garage...that kinda got me outa my funk ive been in lately. The more i watched the news, the more i wanted to just kill myself it seemed (figure of speech)...gawd that s*** was depressing..So i said fawk it...and here we go again:D

WOW, nice mills, any of them have live tooling?

Kyle at NWF is dreaming about a parting lathe....

Looking forward to the resurrection of the 45:popcorn:

Rob

Live tooled mills? My lathe is live tooled and 2 of the mills have 4ths if thats what you were asking. Kyle is a great guy, we chat pretty regular.

Im excited to get back on the project :)

Larry

Live tooled mills? My lathe is live tooled and 2 of the mills have 4ths if thats what you were asking. Kyle is a great guy, we chat pretty regular.

Im excited to get back on the project :)

Larry[/QUO
Larry I was thinking about live tooling and a five axis.

Kyle is a little genius, kid should of been snapped up bye some big company.

I used to rent from Kyle and work nex to him, after many years in ship drive building I somewhat understood machining and equipemnt. We hit it off righ way peaking the same language.

Look forard to your build..

Rob:cheers:

Ok, so dragged the doors out as i tried to clean out the bed..lol. Took a few photos of the doors for guys that may be interested in getting a set..they seem pretty nice. Set it up there to get a visual.
Ronin 008.jpg
Ronin 010.jpg
Ronin 014.jpg

I opened the hardware pack to check on what was included adn to look at hinges. I wasnt real keen on the welded hinge part. I do understand from a mfg point of view (cost) I am sure its fine. I have a another idea as you can tell with a small block of 6061 sitting next to the fabbed hinge:D.
Ronin 011.jpg
Ronin 012.jpg
Ronin 013.jpg

I just spent the last hour reading this thread and looking at the pics...I know I will never have the skills, shop or ability you have. Now I just need to keep working in order to be able to pay an artist like you to build something like this for me.. But on a side note, you think it would be cheaper, easier or better to build the cab from a stock steel or go the route you did??

I really can't say enough about the Aqualu body..they are real nice. Its more work than a steel body due to having to cut out for the gauges, hinges, etc. If your going to drive it and keep it..go alluminum IMO.

Lar

Thanks for the compliments guys..and yes we do work on customers vehicles :).

Here is a spy shot of the hinge...I still have to thin it out and rip the surface down at an angle.
misc 031.jpg
misc 032.jpg
misc.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom