Builds “Ron” Build Thread - 2010 GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To just wrap the door handles, I couldn't image it to cost too much?
But again, I've never had anything wraped, other than a burrito or a sushi roll.

I didn’t think so either...then I got a quote for $500 to do all the chrome (handles, grill, roof bars and rear hatch).

Used that as motivation to wrap mine myself and the trim came out ok, the handles were a #*&@$ and don’t look great. One day I’ll find someone willing to do it for a fair price (~$150 IMO).

I didn’t think so either...then I got a quote for $500 to do all the chrome (handles, grill, roof bars and rear hatch).

Used that as motivation to wrap mine myself and the trim came out ok, the handles were a #*&@$ and don’t look great. One day I’ll find someone willing to do it for a fair price (~$150 IMO).

Yeah, the more chrome I delete, the more that the remaining stuff bothers me. I would love to wrap the door and window trim, along with the handles, and be done with it.

Did you use a heat gun? I believe a heat gun (NOT a hair dryer) will shrink contours to wrap around the curves.

Did you use a heat gun? I believe a heat gun (NOT a hair dryer) will shrink contours to wrap around the curves.
I did. And I still sucked at it.

I did too and sucked as well. The stretching/wrinkle free task wasn't my issue, the main issue was the fore and aft ends of the handles are tough to get the exact right length (with some heated stretching happening) and I kept ending up needing to cut the vertical curved ends to length last, then tuck the vinyl in perfectly (which didn't happen). The horizontal lines are decently easy to do.

They look ok from 20 feet, no raised ends, no wrinkles and the chrome is all covered, but I have no doubts they'll peel up from the ends in quick time. The key hole on the drivers door handle though....yikes, my cut is more of an octagon and rather pathetic, but I didn't foresee doing better a second time so I'm rocking it.

Also, it's worth mentioning, the center chrome plastic insert is taped onto the handle, not retention clips (though maybe has a couple guide tabs for placement sake). I tried removing one for a better go at it and cracked it trying to get the tape to release. Can't tell with it wrapped, but it'd be a joke to try to go back to chrometastic now.

Crap - first two plugs on driver’s side.

B896D812-8B60-4C35-9F4C-AB93BC81C56E.jpeg

A8ABDE4E-1FA3-4C42-8034-0831F769B2A3.jpeg

So the whole valve cover does not need replacing - just the individual gaskets for each plug?

Ahh - found the info on it. Might do it myself unless I find someone local with a good price on it.

Ahh - found the info on it. Might do it myself unless I find someone local with a good price on it.

When I replaced them on my Taco I did the cam cover (valve cover) gasket and all the plug tube O rings. On that truck to complete the left side you had to remove the intake manifold.

I think I may eventually, do CC, but I am not paying for the fancy buttons - justing doing the DIY method probably.
I want to test the MTS first, and see how it does...

I still need to do this, so unmotivated as of late lol.

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom