Builds “Ron” Build Thread - 2010 GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh yeah, forgot - grabbed my buddies setup to see how it would look and fit and took a couple of pics...

View attachment 2290974

View attachment 2290975
I'd suggest getting a synthetic line and lose that wire cable. It will save your back if you're having to lift that winch often! I love having a synthetic line when I've had to use my winch. No wire splinters, light, flexible, easy to wind back into the drum.

I'd suggest getting a synthetic line and lose that wire cable. It will save your back if you're having to lift that winch often! I love having a synthetic line when I've had to use my winch. No wire splinters, light, flexible, easy to wind back into the drum.

For sure! This is just my buddy’s setup. I estimated that I would lose about 20 lbs with synthetic line and 10 lbs with a 9K instead of 12K. That thing weighed 100lbs!

Last edited:
That is a long lever that you will have mounted that winch to. Do your best to make straight pulls use a pulley block if you need to pull off angle, rig a redirect if possible.

Agreed. I have not found myself pulling at a 90 degree angle very often in my life. I know it can happen, but I will just do my best to avoid those situations. I am a technical rescue rope nerd, so I love making pulls more technical than they need to be! 😁

That is a long lever that you will have mounted that winch to. Do your best to make straight pulls use a pulley block if you need to pull off angle, rig a redirect if possible.

This was my thought. Essentially every inch the winch is farther from the actual frame of the vehicle, the worse any angled pulls will be, from a leverage standpoint. Figure a 10,000lb winch pulling at capacity, and any angle amplifies the force against the hitch point.

I can see this being a viable solution for some, just depends on the use case. Anyway, sorry to hijack your build thread @Lenny33 - the build looks sweet so far.

This was my thought. Essentially every inch the winch is farther from the actual frame of the vehicle, the worse any angled pulls will be, from a leverage standpoint. Figure a 10,000lb winch pulling at capacity, and any angle amplifies the force against the hitch point.

I can see this being a viable solution for some, just depends on the use case. Anyway, sorry to hijack your build thread @Lenny33 - the build looks sweet so far.

I don’t consider it a “hijack” at all - just discussing the build. And you bring up a valid point.

I don’t really think this even worthy to add to a “build” thread, but I am amazed at how much this little project exceeded my expectations! Before and after headlight polish kit ...

68D40B68-FC6E-43BC-AA8D-FD853B30DE76.jpeg

A0EF3AEF-E8DB-409B-9542-22E5E73420A6.jpeg

They look great but the true test is how long they stay clear.

I've had years of frustration around headlight restoring kits. Always looks great...for a few months or so then back to ehh. Use this Meguiars kit 2 years ago on my old Tacoma and the clear stayed really well for two years. The sanding discs aren't the most aggressive, so if your headlights are bad then you'll need something else to do the trick before this kit, but the trick to the kit is their clear headlight coating. It seems to be an actual clear top coat you spray on when done, no just a polishing compound. Cheap price too.

Amazon product ASIN B01M75GUJB

I've had years of frustration around headlight restoring kits. Always looks great...for a few months or so then back to ehh. Use this Meguiars kit 2 years ago on my old Tacoma and the clear stayed really well for two years. The sanding discs aren't the most aggressive, so if your headlights are bad then you'll need something else to do the trick before this kit, but the trick to the kit is their clear headlight coating. It seems to be an actual clear top coat you spray on when done, no just a polishing compound. Cheap price too.

Amazon product ASIN B01M75GUJB

Yup - that is the kit I got and used! Happy to hear that review

Looking good! Was it pretty easy? I ordered Hyperdip from Dipyourcar, and can't wait to get rid of this chrome.

Plastidip is really easy and really forgiving in my opinion. You apply a little different than painting with a rattle can - really heavy coat(s) after initial coat, apply heavy enough that you are just on the edge of running the paint. Watch some YouTube’s for how people apply it. And have fun!

I want to dechrome mine as well but I am trying to get some of these larger mods done and out of the way first.

Tried to wrap the door handles and could not ever get it right.... so I went back to my old friend, Plastidip. Chrome is almost gone!

View attachment 2308979
I know Plasti-dip is durable, but let us know how it handles all the grabbing and pulling and maybe the significant others long nails?

I had Plastidip on my 4Runner’s handles before this and they held up pretty well, but definitely not as durable as a wrap would be. I just couldn’t get it wrapped to my satisfaction...
Maybe someday I will just hire a professional to do it.

Last edited:
I had Plastidip on my 4Runner’s handles before this and they held up pretty well, but definitely not as durable as a wrap would be. I just couldn’t get it wrapped to my satisfaction...
Maybe someday I will just hire a professional to do it.
To just wrap the door handles, I couldn't image it to cost too much?
But again, I've never had anything wraped, other than a burrito or a sushi roll.

The coastal offroad bumber looks great. I have my kit that I need to find time to weld up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom