Builds Roma's 78 fj40 gets a refurb (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been wanting one of these for years.

20230130_150705.jpg

20230130_163938.jpg

In late 2012 I replaced the original master cylinder with a Cruiser Corp o.e. style replacement. I didn't have any complaints about it until 2018 when it started leaking fluid from the reservoir base seals. I initially thought the caps had leaked but upon closer inspection it was apparent the reservoir bodies were dry and the fluid was coming from the bases. I was at SAS #2 in Colorado at the time and I guess the rough terrain did it's number on it. It pissed fluid all over the rear circuit prop valve and my steering shaft quickly causing them to rust. I made a note to replace it asap, but oddly enough with normal driving conditions (pavement) it didn't seam to leak again.

In preparation for swapping this engine out and to gain a little more real estate for the 15bf venturi I wanted to replace the original booster with a smaller counterpart. I picked up a new City Racer booster and a disc/drum 80 series non abs master.

20230122_160811.jpg

20230122_160817.jpg

20230122_161242.jpg

20230129_143953.jpg

20230129_152342.jpg

20230129_143946.jpg

I picked up a new flaring tool for the job and a roll of nickel/copper tubing. I've always used steel tubing before with good results but figured I'd give this stuff a shot since it doesn't rust.
20230129_161544.jpg

While attending the first 70 series meet and greet in Cullman Alabama quiet a few years ago, I nearly flipped the 40 over backwards while fooling around on an embankment. I wish I had the event on video because I'm sure it was quiet a sight. I think @OGBeno May have witnessed the spectacle. Anyway, when the the nose came down the jar caused my brake line to snap near the firewall. (it had apparently chaffed on something at some point and was already compromised). I had to do a field repair to get back home. You can see the union I had installed for the brake lines in this photo. Since I was needing to modify the lines for the new master cylinder, I figured this would be a good time to make new ones for the firewall to replace the patch job.
20230129_152322.jpg

20230129_161551.jpg

20230129_162025.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 3235731

I picked up a new flaring tool for the job and a roll if nickel/copper tubing. I've always used steel tubing before with good results but figured I'd give this stuff a shot since it doesn't rust.
View attachment 3235732

While attending the first 70 series meet and greet in Cullman Alabama quiet a few years ago, I nearly flipped the 40 over backwards while fooling around on an embankment. I wish I had the event on video because I'm sure it was quiet a sight. I think @OGBeno May have witnessed the special. Anyway, when the the nose came down the jar caused my brake line to snap near the firewall. I had to do a field repair to get back home. You can see the union I had installed for the brake lines in this photo. Since I was needing to modify the lines for tge new master I figured this would be a good time to make new ones for the firewall to replace the patch job.
View attachment 3235734

View attachment 3235736

View attachment 3235737
nicop lines work great except on axle housings where if snagged can bend and kink easier than steel. Especially when going through brush.

Last edited:
20230129_163354.jpg

In short order I bent up these lines. The NiCop tubing doesn't really require a bender, it's much more malleable than the steel stuff. Not sure I like that quality of it just yet.
20230129_164714.jpg

20230129_170702.jpg

Mock up while trying to decide how to mount the new prop valve.
20230129_175311.jpg

I had this Wilwood prop valve I'd purchased a few years back that I never used and figured I'd try it first instead of the reproduction valve that Roger aka City Racer now offers. I made up this bracket out of a piece of aluminum angle I had laying around.
20230130_221500.jpg

Last edited:
I also installed these wire rock guards for the headlights I found in my desk today. Apparently I bought them a few years ago and forgot all about them. They give a more original look to the flatter profile of the new semi sealed Toyota headlamps.

20230131_215211.jpg

20230131_215220.jpg

Last edited:
nicop lines work great except on axle housings where if snagged can bend and link easier than steel. Especially when going through brush.
Yep I can definitely see that happening! I'm on the fence about the NiCop, I think ultimately stainless would be pretty slick assuming it's harder to bend like the regular steel tubing.

Yep I can definitely see that happening! I'm on the fence about the NiCop, I think ultimately stainless would be pretty slick assuming it's harder to bend like the regular steel tubing.
Struggling with this decision on my build. I really like the 80 series tubing. Just don’t know what it is or where to buy it.

Struggling with this decision on my build. I really like the 80 series tubing. Just don’t know what it is or where to buy it.
I haven't dealt much with 80 series trucks aside from robbing the rear lockers out of them :) I did own a 91 80 series at one point but never really did anything with it. Do they have some sort of stainless brake tubing?

I haven't dealt much with 80 series trucks aside from robbing the rear lockers out of them :) I did own a 91 80 series at one point but never really did anything with it. Do they have some sort of stainless brake tubing?
It looks like steel and coated.

I got the brakes bled last night and since it was raining out, I figured it would be a good opportunity to adjust the rear prop valve. A bit disappointed to find out with the valve adjusted to full restriction the rear wheels still lock up first. I'm pretty confident it was like this prior to the master cylinder replacement and the prop valve on it previously didn't alleviate the issue either. Now I'm wondering if I should try Roger's reproduction factory style valve and if that doesn't have the desired affect run it in conjunction with the Wilwood unit.

Roma, perhaps you did this anyway. If not, if you are using an 80 series non ABS master cylinder you may wanna confirm which port on the master goes to the front vs back. I think it is reversed where rear port goes to front and front port goes to rear. It’s been a while since I did one. Hope this is helpful.

Roma, perhaps you did this anyway. If not, if you are using an 80 series non ABS master cylinder you may wanna confirm which port on the master goes to the front vs back. I think it is reversed where rear port goes to front and front port goes to rear. It’s been a while since I did one. Hope this is helpful.
Interesting CD would this perhaps something I would need an FSM for an 80 to confirm. I "assumed" the front port goes to the front circuit.

Trudge through this

In an effort to fix the front to rear brake bias I realized I had the prop valve routed incorrectly in terms of the in/out ports. I fixed that and it seems better but have yet to try it on wet pavement or gravel.

20230208_171339.jpg

I threw on this spare tire cover that @Gun Runner 5 graciously sent me.

20230207_212711.jpg

Last night I burned the midnight oil building this seat belt attachment for the kids seats. I meant to do this three years ago when I installed the seat but never got around to it. I wanted something noninvasive that I could remove and not have to drill any holes in the floor for.

The L shaped pieces are 2" wide 3/8 flat bar (like the forward portion of the seat attachments) welded to 1/4 by 5" plate to reinforce the E-track.
20230211_115920.jpg

20230211_115932.jpg

20230211_115938.jpg

With the seat folded forward I can use it as an achor point as well.
20230211_120005.jpg

Resized_2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom