Roland’s random annoying electrical issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Roland’s random electrical aggravation 2023:

I have an annoying electrical issue with Roland my 85’ 22R pickup with about 186k miles. Recently replaced the engine, cracked exhaust manifold, intake and carburetor. It still needs some adjustments but has run good until this last summer. I have been using it as my daily driver (11 mile commute) all summer while fixing a few things on my Tacoma that cropped up/broke during my last fast AlCan trip.
there?

IMG_0071.jpeg

I recently installed/swapped some Anzio 4” HID driving lights for fall use, replacing a pair of 4” LED eBay pod type lights. The wiring for the road/moose lights is sourced from a 60 amp Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panel direct connected to the battery. Circuit uses a 30 Amp Bosch type relay, and 14 AWG wiring, it has been in use for about 5 years- all I did was swap the old lights for the HID ones. I was able to do this after gabbing up some 2” sq tubing spacers to move the bumper out enough to make room for the housings on the Anzio lights.
ideas
IMG_0065.jpeg

While I was into this I also installed a switchable volt meter/ usb charger.
IMG_0067.jpeg

A couple weeks later I started experiencing a troubling random issue. While driving to and from work(and just about anywhere else) the charging light would come on while driving- so I would turn on the volt meter and check the volts, it would read 12.9-13.2(plus or minus) volts then start dropping to 12.7 or even less. Initially this might only last for a few minutes, then bingo charge lights go off, voltage comes up to 14.4 and normal voltage till the next event.

I checked battery connections, looked for loose wiring, tested the battery condition, and charging system. Everything looked good/normal. This normal reading would last for a week or less and occur again- totally random timing, I couldn’t tie it to bumps in the highway or anything else.

Eventually it happened in the driveway, so I tested the charging system using a Solar BA 9, got good reading for the battery, and poor readings for the charging system, while doing this the anomaly stopped and ops were back to normal as were voltages-14.4V. I retested the battery and charging system, and everything checked out good and normal. So I suspected there might be a loose or bad ground, the 6AWG ground cable from the block to the body looked pretty dodgy so I built a new one and hooked it up and tried that.
IMG_0066.jpeg

Same basic thing happened with random,though not immediately, slightly increased frequency. Obviously this reduced my driving to just commuting and shorter trips. Luckily by that time I had finished work on the Tacoma and was able to use it for longer trips. While still trying to figure out the issue, along with all the other stuff that needed to be done around the area.

Fast forward another week, and the next odd thing started to happen, again at totally random times. I would park my truck and if I wasn’t happy with my parking job I would reposition the truck - the truck decided to not even start- no charge light, not even an idiot light, not an ideal situation. So after work I got another mechanic buddy to have a look at it with me and it started just fine. We jawed about it, wiggled a few wires, really didn’t find anything and so I went home.

Needless to say this began to happen a bit more frequently with the same random occurrence schedule. Luckily the weather started a week- 10 days of random rain ( no garage of course )which was absolutely no help.
IMG_0062.jpeg

So I parked it for a bit to get caught up on other life stuff till it dried out some and went back at it from a different angle. I replaced the alternator, disconnected the ground cables and cleaned everything figuring that it might not be getting a good ground. This did help, consistent voltage readings lasted almost the entire day of doing errands.
out

Thought I had it sorted and it happened yet again, this time over in town 18 miles away after I took the alternator core in, and went to the store. Then it was no lights at all, charge or otherwise, no clicking, I could hear a solenoid clicking somewhere under the dash behind the radio area, but nothing. So I got it towed home the next day, parked it and said F$&k it till next summer, and proceeded to jump into getting ready head outside for the winter.

So my plan is to go through each ground a clean the mating surfaces up, build new ground cables and start looking at upgrading/replacing the starter solenoid and going through the starter wiring and possibly the ignition switch. Also planing to upgrade the alternator to a GM CS144 series- I picked up the Trail Gear mounting kit while I was accumulating parts for the engine swap.
Hope to chase down and print the pertinent wiring diagrams, and research the hell out the topic - not overly successful on either angle so far.

Not sure what else to look at this point, any suggestions?

Last edited:
I had very similar- near identical symptoms in my 91 beater toy pickup a few years ago, super intermittent. Might be fine for 2 weeks and might not be fine 4 times in a single trip. Covered all the bases you've already spoken of to no avail. I don't really remember at this point how I finally stumbled upon the culprit but it ended up being a sprung terminal in the kick panel fuse block. My guess is a p.o. jammed a wire in the terminal then forced the fuse in along with it to power a accessory which left the terminal with inadequate pressure to make a solid, consistent connection after they removed the wiring to whatever it was. I also don't remember for sure which fuse it was but I ended up replacing the fuse block with one I had in a parts truck because upon further inspection several other terminals were obviously spread open. I'm a few years down the road from this problem and it hasn't returned. May or may not be your issue but at this point it's worth checking.

Charge from the alternator comes in via a fusible link.. I would definitely do at least a visual inspection of that if you havent already.

Does the 1985 22r have an external voltage regulator for the alternator? Or was that only for 1984 and earlier?

Not an 85 but I've had a failing key switch (ignition switch) do similar things on both my 88 and a 90. When I was pulling the switch on the 90 it fell apart.

85 is IR.
I had found some conflicting info when trying to google search it so I wasn’t 100% sure. I appreciate the correction. I don’t want to be the reason for someone going in a wild goose chase for something that isn’t there.

I had found some conflicting info when trying to google search it so I wasn’t 100% sure. I appreciate the correction. I don’t want to be the reason for someone going in a wild goose chase for something that isn’t there.
1985 22re is IR. I have no clue if the 22R was.

I would also look at the brushes in the alternator. If they are borderline worn it would explain the intermittent issue.

Charge from the alternator comes in via a fusible link.. I would definitely do at least a visual inspection of that if you havent already.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice, that is something I was wondering about. I plan to look into that when I get back up north in the spring. I had someone else ping me on that one as well. I’m chasing down diagrams, right now and gathering ideas for the spring projects when I get back up north . Cheers!

Not an 85 but I've had a failing key switch (ignition switch) do similar things on both my 88 and a 90. When I was pulling the switch on the 90 it fell apart.
Yeah, a buddy of mine mentioned that he had a somewhat similar issue on an older truck he was working on. I am definitely going to explore that area next spring! Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom