Builds Rocklander Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That line-x looks really good. I eventually wanted to do that to my Tundra and LC 200.

:popcorn:

Very cool and I'm intrigued by the line-x as well. Maybe when I get to a certain level of pin-stripes it will make sense to hit the line-x.

I'm excited to see your truck when you get everything on!

Also, I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on wheeling the LC vs the FJ. I came from an FJ (Tundra in between) and it's a very different experience in the LC. Best way I can describe it is that you don't "feel" what's going on with the LC as much. It's a much more insulated feeling off road.

You should do the Ouray/Moab trip in August!

:beer:
Yea, I'd love to join you guys, but my report date is 1AUG so my time off will only be July. Kinda sucks.

I was looking through pictures, trying to find a tire size I like, and stumbled upon yours. What size tire and wheels are you running?

Yea, I'd love to join you guys, but my report date is 1AUG so my time off will only be July. Kinda sucks.

I was looking through pictures, trying to find a tire size I like, and stumbled upon yours. What size tire and wheels are you running?

I'm running stock wheels with 285/65/18 nitto trail grapplers.

20160422_115448.jpg

Getting it put back together, but going to be gone for the next couple weeks again.

Alright guys, I'll post an opinion question. A tire question really.

I'm moving back to the east coast very soon. Before the KO2s I've had on my FJ for the last 7,000 miles, I've never been on anything other than a mud terrain.

So I will say that of the tire I've ran:
Interco Super Swamper TSL radial
Interco Super Swamper SSR
Goodyear MTR
BFG KM2
BFG KO2

The only real mud terrains were the swampers. The MTRs and KM2s were absolutely terrible in mud (compared to those, in my opinion)

The KO2 was my only all terrain, and I did a winter trip to Moab, wheeled hells revenge with escalator in a hail storm, along with many other trails in the area, then to Ouray for New Years.

The KO2 did extremely well, so well that I thought, maybe the days of the mud terrain could be ending for a majority of us. But there was one place they struggles, in Arches national park, there was a off road trail (yea it was awesome to be able to wheel, tread lightly of course, in a nation park, in snow no less. But there was a small climb, very little ice, very little snow, just kind smooth with not a lot to grab, and some mud was at the bottom of it. I struggle to get up. This with with front and rear lockers. The KO2 tread plugged up and required some rediculous wheel spin that I did it want to do, but realized I had to after some time. That said, my brother in a jeep 2 door rubicon on muds also had a very tough time.

So... For the 200, not being a daily driver, knowing that I'll only be on the east cost for a year and half, but still dealing with thousands of miles of highway, but also east coast mud like viginia overland rally, and the new park that is by what was Tellico. But an Alaska trip in a year and half. Highway to get there, but off road the rest of the time.

BFG KO2 or Cooper STT Pro?

Have you entertained the thought of Nitto trail grappler mt's - I live in Kentucky (very similar to Virginia conditions) and we have mud / clay / roots and rocks and these tires have yet to let me down. ....up hill / down hill...doesn't matter. Long Interstate travel noise is not bad and I plugged a 3000+ mile trip last year on them / without a headache. They eat snow for lunch. I enjoy / use my 200 so these have been tested out.

Study up on the KAT (Kentucky Adventure Trail) trail system , the red river gorge( in KY), land between the lakes (in KY) and Windrock (in TN) for when you move out this way.

if you move up in the north east then prepare to be around miserable people - ha ha - stay south of that and you'll enjoy your time.

Last edited:
I vote for the KO2's.

Thanks Willy,
I've got a couple friends with those, and while they like them also, I don't like the extra 7pounds a tire over the STTs. That and I'm a big fan of a silica compound.

I'm moving to Savannah area, but only for maybe 18 months, but I will definitely checkout those trails.

Do you think you could run those trails on a tighter tread all terrain?

Thanks Willy,
I've got a couple friends with those, and while they like them also, I don't like the extra 7pounds a tire over the STTs. That and I'm a big fan of a silica compound.

I'm moving to Savannah area, but only for maybe 18 months, but I will definitely checkout those trails.

Do you think you could run those trails on a tighter tread all terrain?

I love my STT Pros. While I haven't tried the KO2s, I used to run the previous BFG ATs, and out on the trail it is a world of difference in terms of traction. They are louder for sure, but my truck isn't as insulated as yours so you may not notice it as much.

I'd vote the Coopers out of the mix if you like those.
Trails are tight with lots of trees - your sliders will be getting a good workout. The exterior coating you applied will be great for the over growth on the trails.

Just think of this when you think if you'd like AT's

IMG_9537.JPG

IMG_9533.JPG

Back home and time to restart this build. Got the truck put back together and put the bull bar on.
IMG_0320.jpg
IMG_0321.jpg

Bumper went on pretty easy just like the other ARB bumpers i've had in the past, just instructions were a little vague.

Never liked the scotch connectors that come with their bumpers for taping into the markers lights. So I use weather resistant connectors for the marker lights and weather lock for the fog lights.

Stock connector
IMG_0314.jpg

My version
IMG_0315.jpg

Fitted the rails for the Front runner Slimline rack and water test this morning, no leaks. I use a No. 2 non-hardening sealant for the roof bolts.

Also since the soft brakes of the 200 leave something to be desired, I replaced all 6 rubber brake lines with steel braided and through some Hawk LTS pad in there for fun.
IMG_0316.jpg

Last edited:
So I wanted to not build parts as this needed to get ready for a 35 day trip at the end of June. So... Slee sliders.

These look pretty good, nice welds, wish they had a kick-out but figured I could add one later. As for how they mount, well... I'm not impressed.

There are a couple holes that could take a rivet at the top of the frame plate, but you can't get a drill in there to enlarge the hole. Ok... well I can get screws in from the back to take care of that, but they should at least address that.
IMG_0319.jpg

Then I got more annoyed. When they welded the rear gusset for the slider, they didn't take into account the path of the E-brake cable.

IMG_0317.jpg
IMG_0318.jpg

Yea, you could just mash it into the gusset with 1 of the 2 bolts, but that's low grade engineering. So I'll be spending some time on an easy solution to secure the cable, but have clearance from that gusset.

Last edited:
After talking to Slee for a week, we have found that there has been quite a few changes to the frames of 200s. My 2011 has different welded nuts and ebrake angles than an 08 or a 14. They are working on a better instruction manual for future buyers.

Either way, ended up marking, drilling, taping, and bolt shortening to make my own ebrake cable routing.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ok, 295/70r17 Cooper STT Pros on stock upper control arms with a RW wheel does not fit. On full lock, the tire is smashed right into the front part of the arm.

With Total Chaos arms, they fit. I tested without the coil over in the truck and while is is very close, no rubbing at all. So I'll be sticking with that tire for future east coast mud. These tire will do a trip to SoCal for a month, then drive across the country while towing my FJ. Guess we'll see how their road manners are.

image.jpeg

Tire to upper arm at full lock.

image.jpeg

Tire to sway bar at full lock

image.jpeg

Tire to rear mud flap.

Get to trimming

These look pretty good, nice welds, wish they had a kick-out but figured I could add one later. As for how they mount, well... I'm not impressed.

There are a couple holes that could take a rivet at the top of the frame plate, but you can't get a drill in there to enlarge the hole. Ok... well I can get screws in from the back to take care of that, but they should at least address that.

I am sorry about the confusion on the install and that you are not 100% happy with the product. We always appreciate feedback.
We probably have to add some more details to the instructions. Somewhere along the line Toyota stopped putting the captive nuts in the holes on the frame. Once we discovered that we added another hole to the front foot and provide a "lolipop" nut on a stick that can be inserted into the frame and the the top of the foot can be bolted down. The top holes became redundant and does not need to be used, but we still left the hole for the vehicles that have the captive nuts. We are aware that you can not get a drill or river nut tool into those holes. We could look into providing a 2nd lolipop to use as a backing nut, but getting up installed there might be difficult.

Then I got more annoyed. When they welded the rear gusset for the slider, they didn't take into account the path of the E-brake cable.

We have always just installed the cable into the existing holes. The frame / slider and gusset are all tied together so we have never worried about rubbing on the e-brake cable. We made the gusset as tall as possible for strength. We could probably do a slight relief on the gusset and we will look into that.

Yea, you could just mash it into the gusset with 1 of the 2 bolts, but that's low grade engineering. So I'll be spending some time on an easy solution to secure the cable, but have clearance from that gusset.

Great build..
good choice on the tires.. here you will definitely encounter not only mud, but Clay as well (i'm sure you will do some trails at uwharrie and other places east), as well as loose ground in the mountains, oh an alot of our trails are Tight! it's easy to put the roof into say a tree or Rock.
if your willing the local rover groups a bunch of events in NC and VA and of course there is expo east.. not to mention the Toyota gorups

just all part of the fun..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom