Builds Rocklander Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And did you ever get to test your coated exhaust pieces? Looks like part of the fuel boiling issue investigation.
I did. It absolutely reduced radiant heat under the truck by a bit over 40%. Just being around the truck it didn’t have that warm feeling by it that even stock car can give off. But I believe fuel boiling is a very separate issue than what come from radiant heat. I talked about in in depth in another post, but long story short… I believe it is a fault on Toyota‘a part as they use fuel to cool the top end of the motor. Toyota felt that even though using fuel to cool down a hot motor is a good idea (I agree), they didn’t think to cool it back down before dumping it back into the tank. Toyota has coolers for days on other component, but not so much on the fuel. We see this in the 100 series also, and it is even worse for them.

So I wanted to ask this for sometime, @Taco2Cruiser: you sold your truck! I saw it at LCDC this summer but you were nowhere to be found.

What are you up to now? You are also not with BB anymore...
Man… there is a crap ton of details of why I’m mixing things up right now. So to make somewhat readable I guess I’ll hit the high points.

When I retired from the Army, Bud was already a long time friend. I saw that he needed some help on the administrative side and I wanted to help. I feel that I got him from one place to a much better place and accomplished that goal and gave them the tools needed to continue that without me. Bud has always been, is, and will be a close friend, and if BudBuilt is ever in a pickle and asked for my help, I would be there to support. I, personally, saw that I wanted to focus on a slightly different path than Bud and decided to create my own company that will cater to that. I am currently teaching myself some very, advanced things, and want to have those skills figured out before I make a larger return to this industry.

For my 2hundo itself, well, that truck was just too good. I say that because what I wanted to turn it into, well, it just wouldn’t be right to do that to such a solid vehicle. I’m on the hunt for a different 200 that will fit my needs a bit better for the project I have planned for that platform. Because of that, my big gurl sadly, wasn’t the right truck for me. Which was hard to accept. I really love that truck and I feel the 200 series is absolutly the most jack of all trades vehicle ever created. But, because I need to pull around some vehicles that will be pretty aggressive, I needed something that can just plain tow more.

The spot I put myself in, is that for what we like to do, load up the family and leave for a week at a time, we just don’t have the kids old enough to do that yet (3 and 6). In 3 years, all bets off. This is where I felt the 200 wasn’t the right truck for me from right now, to the future trips I have planned. For now, if I can’t leave on those very remote trips, then I like to run hardcore trails. Well, a 200 is awesome, but it will never be my buggy on 52” tires. Also, with four people, needing to carry all things without resupply for seven days, was not big enough. For two people, I think a 200 is good, but for four, I just wasn’t seeing that. I really need a larger truck. Remember, I’m not talking about travel in the states, I’m talking global travel. Four people in a 200 to a spot in the US, oh yeah, plus if that spot has water, pshh, 200 is more than big enough, but that’s not what I’m working toward. I didn’t really want to pull an off road trailer either. Also, I run light, very light. I spent decades fight in remote areas with not much and I like it like that. So I’m a light equipment guy through and true. All we bring is the basics, but food, water, a few clothes, small recover gear bag (no maxtrax or high lifts as I‘ve never felt they helped me even in Middle East sand or South American mud bogs), almost no spare parts (I can just fix things honestly), and the most I run communication wise is a single, tiny sat phone, It still adds up and just plain doesn’t fit.

So what will really work for me, and my style is a rock buggy, pulled by a 3/4-1 ton truck. The tow pig would also be built for overland travel of the future, the buggy is for fun. At the end of the day, a production vehicle, not matter who makes it or how much money they put in it, will never even get close to the capability of a purpose build buggy. That’s why a nice 200 wasn’t what I needed, it was just what I wanted. Combine that with a customer turn friend (as I feel happens pretty much all the time) was very interested in my 200 and we discussed it for almost a year and half.

So that’s it I guess. Bigger truck that will be nicer on remote wheeling trips. Buggy that will be better on the tough off road trips. Bigger truck pulls buggy to maximize resources. My focus on what I like to work with people on, combined with my Army pension, will create the opportunity for me to travel the world every summer when the kids are out of school.

We only get one life, and looking back, I had some pretty close calls. So I honestly feel that about 3 years ago, I was given a second chance to live, and I’m going to absolutely make the most of it.

Man… there is a crap ton of details of why I’m mixing things up right now. So to make somewhat readable I guess I’ll hit the high points.

When I retired from the Army, Bud was already a long time friend. I saw that he needed some help on the administrative side and I wanted to help. I feel that I got him from one place to a much better place and accomplished that goal and gave them the tools needed to continue that without me. Bud has always been, is, and will be a close friend, and if BudBuilt is ever in a pickle and asked for my help, I would be there to support. I, personally, saw that I wanted to focus on a slightly different path than Bud and decided to create my own company that will cater to that. I am currently teaching myself some very, advanced things, and want to have those skills figured out before I make a larger return to this industry.

For my 2hundo itself, well, that truck was just too good. I say that because what I wanted to turn it into, well, it just wouldn’t be right to do that to such a solid vehicle. I’m on the hunt for a different 200 that will fit my needs a bit better for the project I have planned for that platform. Because of that, my big gurl sadly, wasn’t the right truck for me. Which was hard to accept. I really love that truck and I feel the 200 series is absolutly the most jack of all trades vehicle ever created. But, because I need to pull around some vehicles that will be pretty aggressive, I needed something that can just plain tow more.

The spot I put myself in, is that for what we like to do, load up the family and leave for a week at a time, we just don’t have the kids old enough to do that yet (3 and 6). In 3 years, all bets off. This is where I felt the 200 wasn’t the right truck for me from right now, to the future trips I have planned. For now, if I can’t leave on those very remote trips, then I like to run hardcore trails. Well, a 200 is awesome, but it will never be my buggy on 52” tires. Also, with four people, needing to carry all things without resupply for seven days, was not big enough. For two people, I think a 200 is good, but for four, I just wasn’t seeing that. I really need a larger truck. Remember, I’m not talking about travel in the states, I’m talking global travel. Four people in a 200 to a spot in the US, oh yeah, plus if that spot has water, pshh, 200 is more than big enough, but that’s not what I’m working toward. I didn’t really want to pull an off road trailer either. Also, I run light, very light. I spent decades fight in remote areas with not much and I like it like that. So I’m a light equipment guy through and true. All we bring is the basics, but food, water, a few clothes, small recover gear bag (no maxtrax or high lifts as I‘ve never felt they helped me even in Middle East sand or South American mud bogs), almost no spare parts (I can just fix things honestly), and the most I run communication wise is a single, tiny sat phone, It still adds up and just plain doesn’t fit.

So what will really work for me, and my style is a rock buggy, pulled by a 3/4-1 ton truck. The tow pig would also be built for overland travel of the future, the buggy is for fun. At the end of the day, a production vehicle, not matter who makes it or how much money they put in it, will never even get close to the capability of a purpose build buggy. That’s why a nice 200 wasn’t what I needed, it was just what I wanted. Combine that with a customer turn friend (as I feel happens pretty much all the time) was very interested in my 200 and we discussed it for almost a year and half.

So that’s it I guess. Bigger truck that will be nicer on remote wheeling trips. Buggy that will be better on the tough off road trips. Bigger truck pulls buggy to maximize resources. My focus on what I like to work with people on, combined with my Army pension, will create the opportunity for me to travel the world every summer when the kids are out of school.

We only get one life, and looking back, I had some pretty close calls. So I honestly feel that about 3 years ago, I was given a second chance to live, and I’m going to absolutely make the most of it.
I didn't realize you'd sold your 200. When I saw it at the LCDC but didn't see you I thought your rig must've been an inspiration for someone else who did the same build and LineX.

I hope you'll continue to hang around the forum. You're an absolutely wealth of knowledge and experience (and an all around nice guy, too)

Combine that with a customer turn friend (as I feel happens pretty much all the time) was very interested in my 200 and we discussed it for almost a year and half.

I merely wanted some RLCA skids, so I had to buy the truck to get them!

I am the current steward of Rob's truck. And yes, it's Rob's truck. Full stop. It didn't come to fruition through my imagination, knowledge, or labor, it's his work and I think that's important to acknowledge. And he'll freely acknowledge those who helped him; you don't learn the ins and outs of these trucks and their components simply by reading the internet. To say Rob's expertise is battle tested is a gross understatement.

Rob and the gang at BudBuilt were instrumental in sorting and building my 2009. For a variety reasons, once I reached a certain level of build on that truck, I knew it was not likely to be a long term keeper for me. Couple that with the advent of Cars & Bids, I quickly developed an exit strategy when it became apparent that by the mid summer of 2020, Land Cruisers, and the used car market in general, were headed upwards in value instead of downwards.

The story, for me and this truck, really begins on October 26, 2019. That's the first day I actually spent time in the truck and got to drive it. Previously, I had only seen it in passing and never from behind the wheel. And yea, I was sold. I came home and told my adventurer in crime and fellow dog parent that we were eventually going to own it.

IMG-1330.jpg

Fast forward to June 2021, I took possession of the truck with a little over 134k miles. The Cruiser gods wept.

IMG-4629.jpg

Today it sits just over 140k. As previously mentioned, I had it out to Colorado this summer and a handful of places in between.

IMG-4820.jpg

Front Range time with @mcgaskins

CE139D65-0135-4A70-A920-1FBBBC1A4B49.JPG

San Juans

IMG-5221.jpg

Linville Gorge

I'll continue to update this thread when appropriate. This winter, the truck will likely get a preemptive radiator replacement, as it's still on the original unit and showing fatigue, along with a couple other odds and ends. It's somewhat comical, as when you read this thread you might think it's comprehensive but then once you dig around the truck, it's far from it. The level of nuance to Rob's work is next level. Fortunately, I don't live far from Rob, so much to his chagrin, the pestering didn't stop with the purchase... it persists!

So far for me, it's mostly been an exercise in some fluid/filter replacements coupled with a few tire rotations. I recently picked up a set of Ridge Grapplers, 285/75/17, due to the fact two KO2s have varying levels of sidewall damage. The RGs will likely be stored for the winter and put on in the spring unless I manage to completely mangle a KO2 in the meantime. Other than that, I've only touched up some armor from some overly zealous off-roading and/or poor decision making.

I tend to be a wee bit verbose, I have a lot more I could share. You might have noticed Rob is the same (I know some of you have talked to him on the phone... budget at least an hour!). In fact, my spouse has outlawed speaking to Rob on the phone after 11pm as she doesn't appreciate overhearing the finer details of 200 series modification, or geopolitical/religious warfare, at 1am. So if nothing else, this is a thank you to @Taco2Cruiser as he's been incredibly helpful in my prior and current Cruiser ownership. I look forward to supporting him in whatever endeavors he is cooking up next. And when I show up at his house and his boys run out and say "Look! Dad's truck is back!" I'm okay with that. They ain't wrong.

Last edited:
Now just plug it all together. I used the AAC port on the interior fuse block that was already open, you can see it at the top right of the picture below, remember to plug it in with the wire running toward the center of the truck.View attachment 1370170

I choose to run the power for the compressor off the main battery and not an auxiliary battery. This compressor uses a lot of power, and i'm only refilling tire pressure when I come off trail and hitting road. So the engine was just on, and will be turning right back on to charge. Plus this is also powering lockers, I want absolute reliability to activate lockers, even if the power distribution for a dual battery setup fails. Seen National Luna and IBS both fail. Also, the compressor will turn on depending where you place the "tab" on the interior fuse block, and not if you attach the compressor power harness to the starting battery or auxiliary battery. There are some fuses that are alway on in the fuse block, just use that cheap power tester to find one if you want to turn the compressor on without pressing the vehicle power on (no matter what you don't need to turn the motor on).

I ran the positive wires right off the battery post, and the ground wire down to the chassis as to hide as much as possible. The compressor fuse blocks have a nice hole for mounting in the bottom, and two zip ties connected it to the stock fuse block harness, which keeps inline with trying to make it look like things are suppose to be there. After a lot of playing, the hose that comes with the Slee kit is too long, and I'll source a shorter steel braided line (that this will get hot enough to melt a plastic line), but this was the way to get the lines as low as possible for what comes with it. The brass 90 degree fitting will touch the hood heat shield a tad, this is where I would of liked the whole Slee mount to put the compressor lower, even by 1/8" at minimum. But i'll find a lower profile 90 degree also.
View attachment 1370171
Winch power, air compressor power, and fridge always on power connected. Fridge will move off starting battery once the aux battery is in. I will also source a dust cover for the inflation port. But you don't need a massively expensive and complicated electrical system. You can have a winch and lockers with tire inflation, and a fridge in the back, without adding fuse blocks and spending more money and time that could be used for adventures (cause that's the point right) and still have a clean look.
View attachment 1370189
Where did you find the button for the air compressor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom